Touchdown with no time remaining in superbowl

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 05:08 am
Can anyone confirm that a tuchdown to win the superbowl with no time remaining still requires the extra point attempt. I understand the logic, even though it has never come into play that the point must be kicked during the regular season for possible point differential for playoff impilcations. Since that reasoning doesnt apply for the superbowl why than (other than strictly for gambling purposes) would it apply in this case. The game is over, why would anyone need to come back on the feild, and if so could the winning team go for a 2 point conversion exposing the NFL to an obvious attempt to cover the spread?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 08:10 am
Probably the tie for championship deciders.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 08:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
wrong rule.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 11:59 am
@Ragman,
What's the right one?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 01:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This one?

Rule 11-3-1: "After a touchdown, the scoring team is awarded a Try in an attempt to score one or two additional points during one scrimmage down."

There is an exception when a touchdown is scored in overtime. No exception if the touchdown is scored with no time remaining on the game clock.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 01:35 pm
Ragman...Ti....

...I am all screwed up on this on.

I got it wrong. Apologies.

I'm still recovering from the Seahawks deciding to go with a pass over the middle from the one yard line rather than giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch, an almost unstoppable running back.
Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That decision will haunt Coach Pete Carroll for the rest of his day. Things that make you say hmmm!

As a Pats fan I thought time was running out on Pats as in my mind it was a done deal that Beast-mode would get the ball and break into end-zone for the 1-yr run. I think there was 20 secs left in the game at that point. A slim chance with that scenario for the win.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry to hear you are still recovering Frank. I understand how you feel.

Not too long ago I was shocked and dismayed that, although well covered and flat on his back, Jermaine Kearsey somehow miraculously hang onto a ball that had been batted away and that he had no business catching.

I got over my disappointment fairly quickly. I hope somehow you do too.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:30 pm
@Ragman,
I don't think it was a bad decision. If it had worked, Carroll would now be lauded for his courageous and creative decision. Think about this...

- The situation call for a run and everyone expected a run.
- The patriots had the players on the field to stop the run.
- Lynch has had problems at the goal line earlier in the year.
- Passing the ball stops the clock if it fails.
- Running gives the Patriots a chance to make a goal line stand.

You make your decisions and you live with them. Had Pete Carroll run the ball three times, and had Lynch failed to deliver and time had run out, we would be having the same discussion.

It didn't work, but I don't think it was a bad call.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Sorry to hear you are still recovering Frank. I understand how you feel.

Not too long ago I was shocked and dismayed that, although well covered and flat on his back, Jermaine Kearsey somehow miraculously hang onto a ball that had been batted away and that he had no business catching.

I got over my disappointment fairly quickly. I hope somehow you do too.

Max...grow up.

I was not rooting against the Patriots...I had no dog in this fight.

I wanted the last game of the season to be a good one...and I got a great one.

Not sure why you are trying to be such a small-minded jerk, but I will not go down that path. Instead, I will compliment you.

Max, you are succeeding beyond your wildest imagination.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I was just joking Frank. It is just a game. Sorry if I offended you.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:44 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think it was a bad decision. If it had worked, Carroll would now be lauded for his courageous and creative decision. Think about this...

- The situation call for a run and everyone expected a run.
- The patriots had the players on the field to stop the run.
- Lynch has had problems at the goal line earlier in the year.
- Passing the ball stops the clock if it fails.
- Running gives the Patriots a chance to make a goal line stand.

You make your decisions and you live with them. Had Pete Carroll run the ball three times, and had Lynch failed to deliver and time had run out, we would be having the same discussion.

It didn't work, but I don't think it was a bad call.

I think it was a bad call no matter what.

I agree that a pass was a reasonable consideration, because of the limited amount of time remaining. An incompletion would have stopped the clock without using the final time-out. But a fade out makes sense, while a pass over the middle seems like insanity. Way too many defenders there...and they would have been happy to interfere...with a penalty placing the ball on the 1 yard line, where it was at the beginning of the play.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 02:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I was just joking Frank. It is just a game. Sorry if I offended you.

This line of thinking started earlier as a non-joke.

Now that you explained that here you were just busting, I definitely over-reacted. I apologize, Max.
0 Replies