Teddy Roosevelt the Hunter and Friends

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:09 pm
Can any one shed any light on this?
Teddy Roosevelt 1905 Rossi Rifle
Joseph A. Ferris was a hunting guide, a shopkeeper, and a friend of Theodore Roosevelt in the badlands of Dakota Territory. Ferris was one of the first settlers in the Little Missouri River badlands. He arrived at Little Missouri Station in 1881, with his brother Sylvane Ferris and a friend, William Merrifield. The Ferris brothers grew up in New Brunswick, Canada. Merrifield was canadian hunting guide from Quebec. The three met in Fargo, Dakota Territory, while in search of work in the Dakota wheat fields. The three are said to have arrived in Little Missouri on the first train that carried passengers to the badlands. Joe Ferris, Bill Merrifield and Teddy Roosevelt hunted many times together. during one hunt Before returning to New York, TR would shoot a bull buffalo; and, invest with Joe's brother and another partner in a cattle-raising venture. When Roosevelt became president he didn't have much time to hunt with his two friends. However during that time of his Presidence he did make a secret trip back to the badlands to visit Joe, the trip was never publicized because a Wisconsin saloon owner named John Schrank was reportedly followed Roosevelt around the country waiting for the right time to shoot him. Joe Ferris informed Bill Merrifield about Roosevelt's coming visit, but he said he didn't think they would be able to hunt because he was traveling light with out hunting equipment. When Bill heard this he planed to bring one of his hunting rifles for Teddy. Bill when to a printer in Quebec and asked him to make a small metal name plate with Teddy Roosevelt on it, he took a 1905 Rossi rifle and put the name on and gave it to the president when he arrived. During that visit the three friends did go hunting, and Roosevelt used the Rossi two more times hunting in the Dakota Badlands. Joe Farris keep the 1905 Rossi Rifle with Roosevelt's name on for safe keeping, and he hung it on the wall in his shop. Some years later Joe gave the gun to his nephew for his twelfth birthday. The Grand Father told this story that was written in a family bible.
On a Deer hunting trip to Quebec Canada back in 1977, I stayed at a Bed and Breakfast that was owned by desendants of Sylvane Ferris, Joe Ferris brother the gun with Teddy Roosevelt's name on it was hanging on the wall. I asked questions about the gun and was told the above story, I stayed a few day and later learned that the family was having some financial problems, to make a long story short. I made them an offer for the gun, after some negotiating they agreed to sell me the rifle. I had to agree to a promise to sell the gun back for the price I paid, if any of their family members would contact me in a reasonable amount of time to repay the money. It's been over thirty seven years, I still live in the same place I did when I made the agreement and no one as ever contacted me.
Now I have no way of knowing the truth of this story, I am just repeating what was told to me back in 1977. I have searched for more information over the last few years but could find none. Before I offer this rifle for sale I would like to know if any member of this family can come forth and verify or show me some proof of the truth, I will honor my promise to share in the value of this rifle with any family member that can provide this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,661 • Replies: 1
No top replies

carloslebaron

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 10:14 pm
@ER Carpency,
You better check the following link

http://kabiza.com/kabiza-wilderness-safaris/theodore-roosevelt-americas-first-conservation-president-wildife-massacre-safari-in-east-africa/

I have read a book about elephants where Teddy Roosevelt was considered as the creator of safaris in Africa, and after him lots of rich people traveled over there to kill wild animals.

Thanks Teddy.

0 Replies