What Does ISIS Get out of Being EXCESSIVELY Cruel?

Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 06:13 am
@ossobuco,
The Kurds are Ok I think, nationalists which means not islamists. They are also the only fighting force having resisted and beaten ISIS on the ground. Allah be with them...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 07:42 am
@izzythepush,
..... and initiated an assassination in Washington DC of a Chilean dissident as well as two US born citizens in a car bombing.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:47 am
Europe has no way to dodge the issue now that even Libya is ISIS-friendly... That's too close to our shores for comfort, or inaction. We need to get involved.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:58 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Europe has no way to dodge the issue now that even Libya is ISIS-friendly... That's too close to our shores for comfort, or inaction. We need to get involved.

Given how poor european decision making has been of late getting more involved in not certain to lead to improvements.

Are you boys still going out on the high seas to "rescue" the invading muslim hordes?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 01:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Given how poor european decision making has been of late

Not like the sagacious American decision to invade Iraq.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 03:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
There could be worse things than Europe getting involved: the US could get involved...
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Do you know that I have been arguing for over 20 years that the West is in steep decline, that we are actually in a dark age re our belief in logic and our enjoyment of the good life? Our lack of interest in justice plays into this as well.
giujohn

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Not like the sagacious American decision to invade Iraq.

You bet your british ass it was segacious... you twit.

Posted at 9:31 am on February 16, 2015 by Ed Morrissey

If the WMD existed in Iraq, what happened to it? Many suspected that it got transferred to Syria prior to the 2003 invasion, but the New York Times reports today that the CIA actually did find at least some of the suspected and undeclared caches of chemical weapons (sarin gas) — and destroyed them:

The Central Intelligence Agency, working with American troops during the occupation of Iraq, repeatedly purchased nerve-agent rockets from a secretive Iraqi seller, part of a previously undisclosed effort to ensure that old chemical weapons remaining in Iraq did not fall into the hands of terrorists or militant groups, according to current and former American officials.

The extraordinary arms purchase plan, known as Operation Avarice, began in 2005 and continued into 2006, and the American military deemed it a nonproliferation success. It led to the United States’ acquiring and destroying at least 400 Borak rockets, one of the internationally condemned chemical weapons that Saddam Hussein’s Baathist government manufactured in the 1980s but that were not accounted for by United Nations inspections mandated after the 1991 Persian Gulf war. …

In confidential declarations in the 1990s to the United Nations, Iraq gave shifting production numbers, up to 18,500. It also claimed to have destroyed its remaining stock before international inspectors arrived after the Persian Gulf war. …

The handoffs varied in size, including one of more than 150 warheads. American ordnance disposal technicians promptly destroyed most of them by detonation, the officials said, but some were taken to Camp Slayer, by Baghdad’s airport, for further testing.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I didn't know that, nor do I agree BTW. The west has meted more than its fair share of injustice. And we're still the top dogs. Time of reckoning is near, with China rising.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 05:50 pm
Are feminists who fought for the right to vote also included in this statement? Are black americans who defied the white thumb of oppression also included in this statement or is this specifically reserved for those who refuse the religious elite thumb?

Fearmongering works better when smothered in bullshit. Mad

Fox News' Erickson: ISIS And Gay Activists Are Pretty Much The Same, Except For The Killing Part

Quote:
Erick Erickson is a Fox News contributor, the Editor-in-Chief of RedState.com, and was recently named the "Most Powerful Conservative" in America. That last honor is a stretch at best (anyone hear of the Koch Brothers?) but it's a clear indicator that Erickson, God help America, is a thought leader on the right. (Considering he's a man who can't properly spell "Twitter," that is a scary thought.)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:03 pm
Keating at Slate concludes:

Quote:
At the moment, it seems less like ISIS is a group using violence to advance a message, than a group whose message is violence, and unfortunately, it’s finding a growing audience.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/04/20/isis_s_violence_is_its_message.html

The theory is that brutality and violence is the draw to young men, I assume because young men are ready to burn down civilization. Maybe. I remember that one Styker Brigade that my wife went to Iraq with at their after deployment party ran a video of about 15 minutes of their best of...best of blowing **** up and/or running **** over. They laughed and cheered through out. Many of us spouses were less impressed.
spooky24

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 06:28 am
@hawkeye10,
It's much more complicated than that. Dae'sh seeks recognition among the Mujahideen Shura Council in the Sunni-majority areas of Syria. Massive corruption within the Iraq government allowed the caliphate to expand and offer high ranking Iraq army officers large rewards to turn over American military equipment. The khilāfah's war chest is massive with 2 complete mobile tank armies led by some 140 M2A3 Bradley tanks. Mobile units consist of 10-12 infantry and shock battalions. These units are backed by artillery divisions supplied by President of Russia Putin-along with countless other hardware.
The West has toned down the reporting of atrocities committed by Dae'sh after concocted killing and torture events were found to be untrue. The 36 dead children in a ditch got massive media attention in America only to find out that a photographer and journalist concocted the event by throwing sand on a pile of old clothing.
The 'Gold bars' got media attention as well then turned out to be only a rumor-and an embarrassing one at that.
It is impossible for a western journalist to get anywhere near these sites so America just stopped reporting on events without confirmation of some kind.
The blackout of news ordered by an unknown American official has become troublesome because, basically, no one believes them anymore. There are several large confrontations ongoing in Iraq at this moment although news of these is delayed up to 2 weeks.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 04:47 pm
@spooky24,
Interesting. Been thinking that the cruelty may also be a way to show their difference with AQ. Osama was a soft-belied sissy as compared to ISIS.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Interesting. Been thinking that the cruelty may also be a way to show their difference with AQ. Osama was a soft-belied sissy as compared to ISIS.

I have seen multiple reports that these two groups are on pretty good relations now.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

I have seen multiple reports that these two groups are on pretty good relations now.

the fact that this gets voted down at A2K shows that problems are a foot.
spooky24

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 07:44 am
@hawkeye10,
The media committee of Dae'sh seems to change it's command to adjust to each event. Ahmad Abousamra seems to disappear and return which is as puzzling as his appearance on the FBI's most wanted list-only to be taken off again. People who monitor these events say Ahmad's recruitment videos do the same thing. They disappear from the net-then return and seem to have been overdubbed.
How does one know if this is classic cloak and dagger-or just incompetence on both sides. Khattab al-kirdi aka fuzzy bear has been at death's door so many times he has wore a hole in the mat.
The whole 'alleged cruelty' bit is just as confusing as the rest of this jazz. It's no wonder the media has chosen the 'what me worry' attitude and just buried themselves back into the American galosh of sex, political pandering and pitting one group against another so they can profit.
abu Mohammed al-Sweldawi shows up on the State Department wanted board wearing a different shemagh-then, later, it's back to the other one.
The CIA has just blown their load trying to figure these guys out.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 12:56 pm
@spooky24,
They have been able to do things with maybe 5% of the force strength that the US military used to do those same things in the same places......I have to figure that cruelty factors into that ability. For instance I was looking at a map that says that there is a lot of territory that they dont actually occupy but where they can count on the citizens to never cross them, never cooperate with the enemy. The way the ISIS operates reminds me of this quote from West Wing

Quote:
Bartlet: Did you know that two thousand years ago a Roman citizen could walk across the face of the known world free of the fear of molestation? He could walk across the earth unharmed, cloaked only in the words "Civis Romanis" - I am a Roman citizen. So great was the retribution of Rome, universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens. Where was Morris’s protection, or anyone else on that plane? Where is the retribution for the families and where is the warning to the rest of the world that Americans shall walk this earth unharmed, lest the clenched fist of the most mighty military force in the history of mankind comes crashing down on your house!? In other words, Leo, what the hell are we doing here?
Olivier5

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 11:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Not really. Al Nusra Front (which was the AQ franchise in the area) fought hard against ISIS and lost. Remnants have pledged allegiance to ISIS.
0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
I guess no one is surprised that the media blackout is still firmly in place. Funny, though, it started because of media outlets getting burned by made up 'atrocious' accounts by locals. If you know anything about the big America media-they hate to be taken as suckers-at least they were able to do some effective damage control.

However, now things have went totally the opposite direction. A General blubber mouth-pun intended-gave away the bacon and here we are again-losing another battle to these guys.

Also, local effectiveness of selling the good graces of the Americans, has gone into the drink and hit rock bottom at the same time.

I always thought the job of President would totally suck. However the rank of Commander in Chief of the entire armed forces would be kind of cool-all that power left up to poor ole me.

I wonder how President Obama feels about that privilege now?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 04:46 am
Quote:
It's being called a 'revolt' by intelligence pros who are paid to give their honest assessment of the ISIS war--but are instead seeing their reports turned into happy talk.

More than 50 intelligence analysts working out of the U.S. military's Central Command have formally complained that their reports on ISIS and al Qaeda's branch in Syria were being inappropriately altered by senior officials, The Daily Beast has learned.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/09/exclusive-50-spies-say-isis-intelligence-was-cooked.html
0 Replies