What's your favorite Foreign Language (nonEnglish) films?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 05:27 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikiru

Wiki again tells the story to the end, again a spoiler, annoying to me. Maybe they don't understand the nature of movies.

They're technically not spoilers. Wiki articles AREN'T movie reviews (which are ideally written to avoid spoilers). They're comprehensive movie summaries for people (who already seen the movie) to reference as reminders.
silvercrossauto

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 07:37 am
@tsarstepan,
City of God (brazil)
Life is Beautiful (italian)
Amelie (french)
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 10:43 am
@coluber2001,
Re Seven Samurai, yep, I loved it. I also enjoyed the American takeoff of it, The Magnificent Seven, though it didn't beat out Seven Samurai for me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 11:11 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
GERMANY (by a Turkish director):
Soul Kitchen (2009)
Just as an aside: Fatih Akın isn't only the director of that film but he wrote the screenplay as well (Adam Bousdoukos was the co-writer). And he's a German, born in Hamburg. (His parents immigrated from Turkey, but live nearly all their adult life in Hamburg .... as German citizens.)
0 Replies

Steb

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 07:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
"Leolo"
Subtitled in French. About a young boy growing up with very quirky family in Montreal. And they way he was brought into this world is about as odd as they come. Comedy, mild sexuality and dark moments. It's hard to describe how odd the story is. Gotta see it if you're interested in something entirely different.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:06 pm
Les Aventures de Rabbi Jacob

A French comedy. I haven't seen it in a while, but it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I can't remember the storyline exactly but there's a super racist French guy who somehow comes in contact with an Arab revolutionary, and for some reason they need to conceal their identities and end up jumping two Rabbis (one is Rabbi Jacob), taking their clothes and impersonating them. As a result, Rabbi Jacob, who has returned to France after spending several decades in America encounters many problems.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Very f annoying for anyone who looks the movie up.

Meantime, I need to get back to the first question; my answer, once I get going, will be rather like fbaeser's, but naturally different here and there.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:19 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Les Aventures de Rabbi Jacob

Partly nonsequitor: Have you ever seen or heard of the animated French film, The Rabbi's Cat (2011)? Definitely worth the watch.
perennialloner

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:51 am
@tsarstepan,
I've been meaning to watch it. Looks really good.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:52 am
The Tiger is a South Korean film from 2015. I enjoyed it. Korean movies always make me cry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:57 am
@Steb,
great choice
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 09:11 am
The Trap with Olivr Reed. Its a 1960' film of the Northwest Territories. It is entirely in Canadian.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 09:12 am
A Man and a Woman (French: Un homme et une femme) is a 1966 French film written and directed by Claude Lelouch
I had forgotten about the film, but not one scene. The man puts his hand on the back of the chair where the woman sits and this little gesture is unbelievable sensual. Happen to see the film again not so long ago. It is very good.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 10:06 am
@saab,
Two of the best Foreign Language films from 2016:
Things to Come, French language;
Julieta, Spanish language.
0 Replies

Joey Albinson

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:45 am
Korean! I'm into it these days! Every time I watch it, it makes me want to go to Korea. LOL
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:53 am
The Square is a 2013 Egyptian-American documentary about the Egyptian revolution that occurred during the Arab Spring. It talks about the political and social climate in the country before and after the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood. Very interesting.
0 Replies