Amber-Light Left Turns

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 08:48 pm
Hi there! Just a question regarding left turns. I recently was in an accident and this is what happened: I was travelling straight and in the opposite direction there was a left turner claiming the intersection. The light had turned yellow but there was no time/room to make a safe legal stop; if I would have stopped I would have ended up in the middle of the intersection-- driver's ed taught me that if there was no way to safely stop, to proceed. So i proceeded(did not speed up to try and make the light or anything, just continued on normally) and this left turner was not paying attention and began to turn, which resulted in him hitting me. It was to my knowledge that right-of-way would work the same as it normally does if there are two vehicles in an intersection at a yellow light. This is what I've seen happen many times and I myself have been that left turner at a yellow who had to wait for the oncoming car going straight to get through. Who was in the wrong here?? Who gets right of way at an amber light in a situation like this??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 694 • Replies: 3
No top replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 11:05 pm
@sampson94,
The other driver is the one "crossing the line" while you were going straight.

With both having "yellow light", then it is the other driver's fault.

With you having the yellow light and the other driver having a green light which might includes a green arrow light, then it is your fault because he had green light and you might have crossed a red light without intention.

You must go back to the place of the incident and check what light color the other driver had when you were crossing the yellow light.

Try to check it at the same hour time of the incident, because traffic lighst are calibrated differently according to the hour, like mostly giving one or more minutes of green light to facilitate traffic on rush hour at evenings, and similar.
sampson94

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 08:42 am
@carloslebaron,
We both had the yellow light. What you said makes sense and that's how I thought it worked... but the other driver is still trying to say it was my fault. Thanks for the feedback!
0 Replies

easterndebt

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:43 am
Usually traffic lighst are calibrated differently according to the hour jemve you need to recheck at the same time.
0 Replies