@boomerang,
Dream big. Work hard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:43 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

boomerang wrote:
In typical writing I think I would go with the comma but for some reason this sounds more forceful with the longer pause indicated by the semicolon.

Longer pause? Really? In any case I would resist the temptation to use a semicolon as a "supercomma".

I'm with contrex on this.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:07 am
Comma.
ekename

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:17 am
@Ticomaya,
Call me old fashioned, I'd prefer to have had the dream so that I knew why I was working hard.

Dream Big Work Hard

Punctuation, why?
roger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:43 am
@ekename,
She isn't saying big dreams always work hard. That's what your suggestion is saying.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:24 am
You can never have too many exclamation marks, I'd go for about 23.
contrex

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You can never have too many exclamation marks, I'd go for about 23.

I have a colleague who feels that way about apostrophes. If in doubt, put one in!

E,g,

Mr's Jones
photo's
taxi's
camera's
Jesu's

I have actually seen these.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:58 am
@contrex,
I've seen this sign. Cuecumber's, (and they wonder why I went elsewhere.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 05:25 am
@izzythepush,
http://i61.tinypic.com/f9ox3k.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 05:57 am
I never use punctuation when shouting will suffice.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 08:58 am
I went to double check my idea of the semicolon as a pause and as a way to give equal weight to each part of a sentence:

Quote:

1. Use a semicolon as a soft period. By using a semicolon instead of a period between two sentences, you show that those two sentences have a closer relationship to each other than they do to the sentences around them. The semicolon, in a sense, connects the sentences. (If you added a coordinating conjunction and a comma, you would show less of a connection; and with a period you show only the connection of proximity.)

2. Use a semicolon to connect main clauses containing internal punctuation. Think of a comma as a brief pause, a semicolon as a more moderate pause, and a period as a stop, and you can see the logic of the hierarchy.

http://www.virtualsalt.com/semicoln.htm
Quote:

Semicolons

It's no accident that a semicolon is a period atop a comma. Like commas, semicolons indicate an audible pause—slightly longer than a comma's, but short of a period's full stop

Semicolons have other functions, too. But first, a caveat: avoid the common mistake of using a semicolon to replace a colon (see the "Colons" section).

Incorrect: I have one goal; to find her.

Correct: I have one goal: to find her.

Rule 1. A semicolon can replace a period if the writer wishes to narrow the gap between two closely linked sentences.

Examples:
Call me tomorrow; you can give me an answer then.
We have paid our dues; we expect all the privileges listed in the contract.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/semicolons.asp
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 09:44 am
@boomerang,
BINGO!
contrex

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

BINGO!

Jane Straus says that... I think people don't talk in semicolons, they talk in commas, simply pausing as they gather their breath.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:32 am
Work hard? Dream big.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:50 am
contrex wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

BINGO!

Jane Straus says that... I think people don't talk in semicolons, they talk in commas, simply pausing as they gather their breath.

I have a friend who talks with commas...but that is because he is long-winded and never wants to yield the floor. Ya gotta talk over him in order to get a word in edgewise.

I like Region's suggestion to use ellipses...but then again, I tend to over-use ellipses.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think I've used more ellipses per post numbers than anyone else at a2k. I consider it a weakness... but then I would.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think I've used more ellipses per post numbers than anyone else at a2k. I consider it a weakness... but then I would.

I never noticed that, Ossobuco.

I use 'em a lot myself...as you can see. Frankly I think they better express the idea of a pause than a comma.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:56 pm
Work Hard - Dream Big

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
My problem with ellipses is I'm always afraid they'll be misunderstood. In more formal academic writing ellipses are used within a quote to indicate that some words have been omitted from that quote. I'm always afraid readers will think that I left something out. So I do use them but I tend to use them sparingly.