Visible left external jugular vein pulse when standing.

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 01:39 pm
I have noticed that when I turn off the lights and shine a flashlight across my neck I can see my left external jugular vein pulsing. This happens when I am standing in from of the mirror. My other veins I can't see a pulse on them while standing. When I lay down I can see my left external jugular vein pulsing fully but it is hard for me to see my right external jugular vein pulse. My internal veins don't seem to be distended at all when standing but they do pulse when laying down. ONLY my left external jugular vein is visibly pulsing when standing. Is this something to be worried about or could this just be something benign?

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 02:19 pm
@DannyWith2Shoes,
Do you do a lot of cardiovascular exercise? It may just be that you have a strong heart beat. When I used to cycle regularly, I could see various veins pulsing in my body, like at my wrists, the inside bends of my arms, my neck, etc. When I'd lie in bed, the pulsing of my heart would cause the bed to creak in rythm.

But if it's a concern, you should see a doctor about it.
DannyWith2Shoes

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 02:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
I am fairly active, slightly overweight (gained some weight recently but am currently losing it and eating very healthy.) I have always had a very strong pulse for at least 5 years (I am 25). I had a Echo of my heart in 2009 and everything was fine. I also remember seeing this external jugular vein pulse visible back then, but I don't remember how visible the pulse was it was because I never really paid much attention to it.
0 Replies

thumb88

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:00 pm
@DannyWith2Shoes,
do you still get this? I noticed it a couple months ago and can still see it now. its worse/more noticeable after a big meal or exercise..it really bounds away. quite scary. again, only on the left side.
DannyWith2Shoes

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 08:01 am
@thumb88,
Yes and it's much more noticeable a day after I drink a lot of alcohol. I have noticed this for almost 6 years now. And I have had many tests 6 years ago and everything was fine.
thumb88

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 01:44 pm
@DannyWith2Shoes,
Do you know for sure its your jugular and not your carotid? Sometimes I can see the pulse through most of the vein.
thumb88

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 02:02 pm
@thumb88,
It depends though, If I lean forward or turn my neck in a certain way it becomes more visible. I'm worried about the possible causes, you read some scary stuff when you google...But I cycle without any major difficulties and am sleeping and eating so....?
DannyWith2Shoes

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 10:27 am
@thumb88,
Yes, I know for sure it is my External Jugular Vein. I have heard that the platysma muscle can compress the External Jugular vein and cause it to be raised. I have also read that the Right side veins supposed to be used because they are directly in line with the heart. Leaning forward changes your angle and causes you to strain slightly which raises the Jugular pressure also (this happens to me also).

I have a question now. Do you know for sure it's a vein and not an artery. You can check by doing the valsalva maneuver (keep your mouth and nose shut and try to blow so you strain) and making sure the same thing you are looking at expands.

Now my question is. If you cover up the vein from the top near your jaw/chin line can you still see the pulse? I can but it gets weaker when I do that.
thumb88

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 12:19 pm
@DannyWith2Shoes,
Yeah, its definitely my jugular pulse because it goes out of view with inspiration. I have no idea what has caused this...Maybe it was always their? I have a hiatus hernia which can give me palpitations from time to time...Maybe theres a link there?
0 Replies