George Bush

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:59 am
Has there ever, in recent times, been a more internationally despised national leader than George Bush? What is your opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,371 • Replies: 140
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:06 am
The apartheid South African leadership rated pretty low. Also any number of tin plated South American and African dictators, and Kim of North Korea has few fans. GWB's problem is that he failed to fill the role he was "elected" to.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:11 am
Kim comes close, but in coming to the level of international anger/resentment/etc of Bush, I can't think of anyone (in recent times)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
i think in Bush's case with 'disappointment' comes 'anger'.

[i really believe he is doing his best - sad isn't it!]
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:17 am
I think he's top five for sure.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
Acquiunk
True, however, the people you sight are not of worldwide importance and relatively unknown to most of the people around the world. George Bush on the other hand is the leader of the most powerful nation on this planet. His actions and policies have a worldwide impact. IMO opinion he has reached the lofty position of being the worlds most unpopular and despised national leader
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
when you put it that way I have to agree....
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:12 am
Adolf Hitler,Benito Mussolini,Pol Pot,Tojo,Idi Amin
I think all of them qualify as the most despised leader,dont you?
Nothing Bush has done comes even close to what they did.
Are you really going to say that Bush is worse then any of them?
I dont think so.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:21 am
Aside from Adolph Hitler I would say that Bush gets the gold medal. I believe he even beats out Joe Stalin.
The question was not who was worse, it asked who is the most internationally despised.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:21 am
In their time Mysteryman, Hitler and Mussolini were quite popular world wide and there were international organizations fronting their ideology. It was only in retrospect, after they had lost their war, that they became international pariahs.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:28 am
au1929 wrote:
Aside from Adolph Hitler I would say that Bush gets the gold medal. I believe he even beats out Joe Stalin.
The question was not who was worse, it asked who is the most internationally despised.

Which, if it is true, proves that international opinion is frivilous at best.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
Abuzz

Say What? The universal dislike for Cowboy George is frivolous. Don't you think it's justified
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
au1929 wrote,
Quote:
Has there ever, in recent times, been a more internationally despised national leader than George Bush? What is your opinion?

Bush is definitely the most despised international leader today. But to be fair and balanced, :wink: Bush cannot be placed in the same category of dictators YET. It's certainly pointing that way with the passage of the Patriot Act, the Guantanamo situation, the Iraqi prison abuses and the illegal invasion of Iraq. Bush, as of today, still has legal hurdles and constitutional safeguards to deal with before he can unleash the full force of his self-proclaimed divinely influenced mission and vision for the world.

I'm afraid it will be too late if Bush and his greedy cronies gets what they really want which is a USA with a suspended constitution and a constant stream of terror to justify their world conquest. By that time, we will all be looking at events leading up to World War 3.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:07 am
au1929 wrote:
Abuzz

Say What? The universal dislike for Cowboy George is frivolous. Don't you think it's justified

If international opinion holds Bush in lower esteem than Joe Stalin, it is frivilous at best.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:28 am
mysteryman wrote:
Adolf Hitler,Benito Mussolini,Pol Pot,Tojo,Idi Amin
I think all of them qualify as the most despised leader,dont you?
Nothing Bush has done comes even close to what they did.
Are you really going to say that Bush is worse then any of them?
I dont think so.

isn't it sad; Bush even screws up at being the worst! Rolling Eyes
[can't he do 'anything' right?]
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:42 am
Finn d'Abuzz writes
Quote:

Oh my! Is that why Bush sought to cool international outrage over the Iraqi abuses on al-Arabiya, an international satellite channel? Is that why international opinion is frivolous at best?

Oh yes! Is that why the UN was pressured by the US into meeting on a Sunday to consider a compromised resolution. Is that the UN resolution that Bush fought so hard to pass in order to legitimize the transfer of power to Iraq's new government. Is that the same UN that republican conservatives always criticize for its weakness and ineffectiveness? Is that why international opinion is frivolous at best? :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:52 am
International opinion used to be our most potent weapon until Bush and his neocon allies decided to trash it.
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
Acquiunk wrote,
Quote:
International opinion used to be our most potent weapon until Bush and his neocon allies decided to trash it.

True. The international opinion after September 11 was very supportive. Governments were very helpful stopping the flow of money to Al Qaida. The US got full cooperation from European nations including France and Germany.
There was a multinational force sent to Afghanistan including France, Spain, and Germany.

Today, that is just a fading memory. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 07:30 pm
fairandbalanced wrote:
Acquiunk wrote,
Quote:

True. The international opinion after September 11 was very supportive. Governments were very helpful stopping the flow of money to Al Qaida. The US got full cooperation from European nations including France and Germany.
There was a multinational force sent to Afghanistan including France, Spain, and Germany.

Today, that is just a fading memory. Crying or Very sad

No its not.There aere approximately 20 countries sending troops or logistical support in the coalition in Iraq.
Why do the liberals refuse to admit that?
Does it destroy your idea that the US went in alone?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:47 pm
fairandbalanced wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz writes
Quote:

Oh my! Is that why Bush sought to cool international outrage over the Iraqi abuses on al-Arabiya, an international satellite channel? Is that why international opinion is frivolous at best?

Oh yes! Is that why the UN was pressured by the US into meeting on a Sunday to consider a compromised resolution. Is that the UN resolution that Bush fought so hard to pass in order to legitimize the transfer of power to Iraq's new government. Is that the same UN that republican conservatives always criticize for its weakness and ineffectiveness? Is that why international opinion is frivolous at best? :wink:

Your argument appears to be that if the US either engages the UN, or seeks to influence international opinion, then that opinion cannot be frivolous. There is no sustaining logic to this argument.

First of all, this thread began with the premise that Bush is the most despised national leader of recent times. My response has been that if international opinion holds Bush as more despicable that Joseph Stalin (or for than matter, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, Augusto Pinochet, Papa Doc Duvalier, General Than Shwe, Kim Jung Il, Nicolae Ceausescu, Mao tse-tung, or Slobodan Milosevic to name a few) then it is frivolous at best. This is so because a serious consideration of all of these individuals, would not place GW bush among their numbers. Of course we only have the opinion of a few posters that Bush is deemed more despicable than these men, and so the entire debate may be moot.

If international opinion is frivolous, it doesn't necessarily follow that it is without influence and that any effort made to shape it belies its frivolous nature.

Over half of the UN member states are dictatorships and therefore the UN can not possibly be considered the embodiment of international opinion. Any effort to engage the UN politically is not a reflection on the nature of international opinion.

Perhaps you are having difficulty with my use of "frivolous," because it can mean "undeserving of attention."

If so, then feel free to substitute it with any of the following:

harebrained, idiotic, ill-considered, juvenile, light-minded, niggling, nonserious, petty, scatterbrained, senseless, shallow, silly, superficial, capricious, injudicious, irrational, irresponsible, unreasonable, asinine, empty-headed, featherbrained, fickle, foolish, inane, fatuous, ignorant, inane, or jejune
0 Replies