Catholics

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 06:32 pm
I would like to tell people who do not know that Catholics are not canibals (same with the other Christian religions), we do not worship Mary, we do not get drunk at the Masses, and we do not believe that Adam and Eve were real (atleast, that is what I was taught.)

fresco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 05:19 am
@Poseidon384,
Quote:
I would like to tell people....

Why ?
We already have enough self valedictory verbiage here from Muslims .
You are in a queue of fairy tale peddlers. I hope you brought sandwiches ! Smile
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 05:27 am
@Poseidon384,
It's not necessary to do all those things in order to get a bad reputation. Being an adult and believing in something truly massive, but for which there is no evidence is all it takes. Wink
0 Replies

Slugfoot

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 06:42 am
Paint it how you will.
It still looks weird and creepy to me...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:14 am
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

I would like to tell people who do not know that Catholics are not canibals (same with the other Christian religions), we do not worship Mary, we do not get drunk at the Masses, and we do not believe that Adam and Eve were real (atleast, that is what I was taught.)

Yeah, riiight...
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 12:45 pm
@Poseidon384,
my friend, A question if I may on this one
Quote:
we do not believe that Adam and Eve were real

If you take a look at the chronology of Jesus as penned by Luke below, you will note the last in line is a man by the name of Adam, whose father is recorded as God. if you believe that the putative Jesus is real, as by a leap of faith I suppose you do, which of the below named characterswould you say had a fictional father? (and for the atheists among you who no doubt are inclined to answer this one for him... ha ha in advance Smile

just interested in your reasoning.

Luke chapter 3 wrote:
23 When Jesus+ began his work, he was about 30 years old,+ being the son, as the opinion was,
of Joseph,+
son of He′li,
24 son of Mat′that,
son of Le′vi,
son of Mel′chi,
son of Jan′na·i,
son of Joseph,
25 son of Mat·ta·thi′as,
son of A′mos,
son of Na′hum,
son of Es′li,
son of Nag′ga·i,
26 son of Ma′ath,
son of Mat·ta·thi′as,
son of Sem′e·in,
son of Jo′sech,
son of Jo′da,
27 son of Jo·an′an,
son of Rhe′sa,
son of Ze·rub′ba·bel,+
son of She·al′ti·el,+
son of Ne′ri,
28 son of Mel′chi,
son of Ad′di,
son of Co′sam,
son of El·ma′dam,
son of Er,
29 son of Jesus,
son of E·li·e′zer,
son of Jo′rim,
son of Mat′that,
son of Le′vi,
30 son of Sym′e·on,
son of Judas,
son of Joseph,
son of Jo′nam,
son of E·li′a·kim,
31 son of Me′le·a,
son of Men′na,
son of Mat′ta·tha,
son of Nathan,+
son of David,+
32 son of Jes′se,+
son of O′bed,+
son of Bo′az,+
son of Sal′mon,+
son of Nah′shon,+
33 son of Am·min′a·dab,
son of Ar′ni,
son of Hez′ron,
son of Pe′rez,+
son of Judah,+
34 son of Jacob,+
son of Isaac,+
son of Abraham,+
son of Te′rah,+
son of Na′hor,+
35 son of Se′rug,+
son of Re′u,+
son of Pe′leg,+
son of E′ber,+
son of She′lah,+
36 son of Ca·i′nan,
son of Ar·pach′shad,+
son of Shem,+
son of Noah,+
son of La′mech,+
37 son of Me·thu′se·lah,+
son of E′noch,
son of Ja′red,+
son of Ma·ha′la·le·el,+
son of Ca·i′nan,+
38 son of E′nosh,+
son of Seth,+
son of Adam,+
son of God.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 01:36 pm
@Smileyrius,
If you don't mind, I'll answer your question. I could use my grandma's homework from 1908, but will put it in my words as I've been taught in 1950's/60's: Genesis is not literal history but symbolic. (See: Pius XII’s "Humani Generis" a 1950 encyclical link - my grandmother was taught the same in a grammar school run by nuns.)
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 04:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I dont mind at all my friend, I appreciate your answer Walter, perhaps it would be better to explain my line of thought, To declare Adam and Eve to be symbolic, you must then at some point in Lukes recording of the chronological lineage of Jesus, cross over from a real lineage into fiction.

Look back through the list. Was Joseph symbolic? what of King David, Boaz, Jacob, Abraham, Noah and Enoch? If Adam was a mere symbol, none of his descendants could have existed either, unless Luke of course was wrong, which I know I have been before Smile

Poseidon384

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 06:08 pm
@Smileyrius,
The reason they put Adam and God is because they did not know any others past the last one they knew, which was not Adam or God.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 06:17 pm
@Poseidon384,
but you do not believe Adam was real, correct?
Poseidon384

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 06:25 pm
@Smileyrius,
Correct. The reason they put that in there was also because they were Jews. So they believed it. And they thought everyone descended from these two people.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 06:41 pm
@Poseidon384,
I was under the impression that Catholics venerated Luke as a Saint? As a follower of Jesus and a Gospel writer, was he not Christian?
Kolyo

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 07:17 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

God. if you believe that the putative Jesus is real, as by a leap of faith I suppose you do, which of the below named characterswould you say had a fictional father? (and for the atheists among you who no doubt are inclined to answer this one for him... ha ha in advance Smile

Quote:
Jo′da,
27 son of Jo·an′an,

I'm ready to question Joda's parentage any day.
If that bothers him let that bastard come out of the ground
with light saber swinging and everthing and cut me down. Mad

He was no son of God as far as I can see:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Yoda_Empire_Strikes_Back.png
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 07:46 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

Look back through the list. Was Joseph symbolic? what of King David, Boaz, Jacob, Abraham, Noah and Enoch? If Adam was a mere symbol, none of his descendants could have existed.

Now you're getting it.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 07:50 pm
Who the hell is Luke?
chai2

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 07:53 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

I was under the impression that Catholics venerated Luke as a Saint? As a follower of Jesus and a Gospel writer, was he not Christian?

And you think that because the RCC calls someone a saint, that they really existed?

There are numerous "saints" who can be found nowhere in history. They never existed. Folklore.

It's just good press to invent someone that exhibits the characteristics you want your sheep to have.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 07:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Who the hell is Luke?

Are you serious?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 08:06 pm
@chai2,
No, but we call him Lukas Smile
I went tho catholic schools (before I knew it was hogwash) and they
do teach about Adam and Eve for real.
chai2

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 09:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
I too went to Catholic school, for 12 years.

We were taught evolution, and that there were no 2 people called "Adam and Eve", but that it was meant to show that at some point people developed a conscience, morals, etc.

I never knew anyone (well, if the subject came up, and it did) that believed in the literal story of creation from the bible.

When I first realized some people did, I couldn't believe it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 09:55 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

BTW poseidon, Catholics DO literally believe the host and wine become the body and blood of Christ.

Transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is the change whereby, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the bread and the wine used in the sacrament of the Eucharist become, not merely as by a sign or a figure, but also in actual reality the body and blood of Christ.
The Catholic Church teaches that the substance or reality of the bread is changed into that of the body of Christ and the substance of the wine into that of his blood, while all that is accessible to the senses (the outward appearances - species in Latin) remains unchanged. What remains unaltered is also referred to as the "accidents" of the bread and wine, but this term is not used in the official definition of the doctrine by the Council of Trent. The manner in which the change occurs, the Catholic Church teaches, is a mystery: "The signs of bread and wine become, in a way surpassing understanding, the Body and Blood of Christ."
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Catholics
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:14:19