Not Every Country Is Ready For Democracy

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 04:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
A response before I forget, since I've more to talk about after I finish re-reading..

The book I'm reading now is Rome, by the australian art critic/art critic at Time for years, Robert Hughes. I'm only on page 21, gripped... at this point. I've read scads on Rome; I've not exactly a mush brain, but one that retains impressions, visualizations in my mind, more than exact data. He's telling the history again, in a rich way for me - different brain/eyes from all those others. Olivier, apropos of another thread, his comments (already, before page 21) on Campo dei Fiori are everything I think about it.

It's not really an art/architecture book, it's a critic's many years' research on the city over time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Not Every Country Is Ready For Democracy -

This time, on reading the thread title, I remembered a talk with my father, when I was a late teen, or in my early twenties, somewhere in the early sixties. He got going on how (whomever he was talking about) was all wrong, that saying people aren't ready for democracy was incorrect. His view is arguable, for sure, but it's my memory of his vehemence that hit me as I saw the thread title some minutes ago.

He had been a philosophy major, was generally not a rant type.
argome321

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 05:37 pm
@wandeljw,
You have realize America's democracy was coming from an unique position.
It was the birth of a nation... thus having no long history. Given where the fore father's were coming from this was the perfect place and time for the great experiment.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:18 am
@ossobuco,
Look forward to hearing more about it when you are finished.

Please remember to give us your impressions. I may get it for my Kindle.

I am presently reading "Sashenka"...a novel that tracks through Russia during the Revolution...into the early and mid stages of the Soviet Union.

Kindle is the best thing that has ever happened to my reading habits.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 09:04 am
@ossobuco,
The Campo de Fiori may not be the cheapest street market in the city but the decor is flawless.

About thrift shops, ever been to the marchetto via Sannio, behind San Giovani?

https://diaryofadesertfox.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_1204.jpg

Or to the so-called "thieves market" Porta Portese on sundays? Mammmamia... Never seen such crowd in a flea market (although Porte Clignancourt in Paris isn't deserted either). Awesome, dirty, noisy... All at bargain price.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 10:09 am
@Olivier5,
Only to Porta Portese..
we bought a door knocker for my brother in law. Don't remember what day of the week it was, but there were plenty of people.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 10:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Still enjoying it, at page 31. It's one of those densely packed books that take real attention so I'll be slow to wind my way through 463 pages, not counting the prologue.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
many bods out there who don't understand democracy - you have to beat it into 'em. Sir Henry Rawlinson.

http://www.vivarchive.org.uk/articles/playscript.htm
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 10:28 am
@ossobuco,
I bought a midsize west german mechanical clock there, in brass, from the 50s by the look of it. The fluorescent dots on the dials are probably made of radioactive material... Still works. I use it to wake up when i misplace my telephone charger.
0 Replies