Why Does Life Exist

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 06:46 pm
Life as we know it isn't even life. Life is the tiny microscopic organisms that make up our bodies and fill the air, water, and dirt. But those are what I am going to ask about. Why does it exist. I mean, I am Catholic and believe that God made us, but I don't believe he just makes us out of mud. Every miracle and thing he has done, was natural to our eyes. Which means he must have created life naturally. Life just doesn't seem possible, yet there it is. On the screen of the thing you are using to read this and right there on your fingertips. In fact, making up your fingertips. Please try to answer my question with truth and if you want, something you came up with and believe to be true. I want to hear all of the answers.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 07:05 pm
@Poseidon384,
Your premise is wrong by about 100%.
Poseidon384

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I meant no premise. That is a belief that I find true. I tried to explain and failed using my belief and I wish to hear yours. The reason it was wrong was because there was none.
Poseidon384

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:06 pm
@Poseidon384,
Well, I geuss that the thing about us being made of microorganisms is a premise, but that is a proven fact. Multi-cellular organisms form from single-celled organisms working together.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:38 pm
@Poseidon384,
I don't understand your question. "Why does life exist?" Why must there be a particular reason? Life exists for the same reason that everything else does.
FBM

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yup. The ol' teleological fallacy.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:24 am
@Poseidon384,
Quote:
Why does it exist……[S]he must have created life naturally
Pos, you have answered your own q. Things are the way they are because that's the only way they can be. What we have is only what is possible, "natural," as you say

So She (It) doesn't hafta create, She has no choice. Whether She even exists is a sort of dualism full of contradiction and paradox, depending entirely on how you define Her
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:37 am
@dalehileman,
That is utter nonsense, dale.

To an omnipotent force ("She" as you call it, "God" as most other people refer to it) literally nothing is impossible. That's what "omnipotent" means. When you say that what is, is "the only way it can be" you are only demonstrating the limits of the human mind, human understanding.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:50 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
That is utter nonsense, dale.
Alas, Andy

Quote:
To an omnipotent force ("She" as you call it, "God" as most other people refer to it) literally nothing is impossible.
That would be true if it were possible. The apodictical existential pantheist however maintains however that Her very existence is defined as only what is possible

Quote:
That's what "omnipotent" means.
Yes Andy, I know, thanks

Quote:
When you say that what is, is "the only way it can be" you are only demonstrating the limits of the human mind, human understanding
Yea Andy, and I'm trying to push our understanding a little. My present advantage: no contradiction, no paradox
0 Replies

Poseidon384

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 06:21 pm
@dalehileman,
My question wasn't how. It was why. How is it possible. Consciousness is something that I don't understand. The need to survive and reproduce. It doesn't seem possible, yet, here it is.
FBM

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 10:42 pm
@Poseidon384,
I don't think anybody fully understands consciousness or the mind, but that doesn't suggest a supernatural hand. The idea that the universe if fine tuned for life seems backwards. It makes more sense to say that it's life that's fine tuned for the universe. Cognitive adaptation to the point of self-awareness - albeit limited, in my estimation - is mundanely explainable, given the evidence, as just another one of the amazing ways that life has found to fine tune itself to the environment.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:01 pm
@FBM,
I also read recently that a earth-like planet was identified in an older galaxy.
FBM

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Kepler has found a handful of close matches recently. A few in the goldilocks zone, too, iirc.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:25 am
@Poseidon384,
Quote:
My question wasn't how. It was why
To make the whole thing more interesting
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:26 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
ife exists for the same reason that everything else does.

Which is???
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:29 am
@FBM,
Quote:
but that doesn't suggest a supernatural hand
I'd agree Fbm. The term "supernatural" implies impossibility

Intuition suggests that conditions necessary for the very existence of life are somehow brought about by natural means, ei, evolution. Just how, is the mystery
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:49 am
@dalehileman,
Proper environmental conditions, perhaps.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 12:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Proper environmental conditions, perhaps
Sorry Cis if I wasn't clear, but it's the evolution of those very conditions that remain so mysterious
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 02:57 pm
@dalehileman,
But it seems to me, the Big Bang is the basis.
carloslebaron

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 03:21 pm
@Poseidon384,
Quote:
Well, I geuss that the thing about us being made of microorganisms is a premise, but that is a proven fact. Multi-cellular organisms form from single-celled organisms working together.

I'm glad that my thoughts in the beginning of the XXI century are giving fruits.

The idea that we are an association of micro-organisms its mine, and I posted it in several forums before the first human genome map was released. (Journals and scientific institutions are ruled by a kind of inquisition, you just can't present papers debunking their silly theories, they will bury the best arguments and evidence before admitting they were dead wrong.)

I posted it against the obsolete and good for nothing theory of evolution.

And, going to your question, there is a reason, but it is not religious or philosophical, but it is purely scientific.

I think that first the theory of evolution must be officially discarded in order to show why life came to be. You see, evolutionists "steal" any new idea, discovery and evidence in order to back up their obsolete theory, and they will manipulate the given information in their favor.
0 Replies