Snowmaggedon 2015!!!

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 04:10 pm
HELP!!!!

Those Crazy Kids at the National Weather Service wrote:
Issued by The National Weather Service
Boston, MA
Sun, Jan 25, 3:58 pm EST
... BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM EST WEDNESDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS... EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS ALL OF RHODE ISLAND.
* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW... STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. STRONG TO DAMAGING WINDS.
* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 20 TO 30 INCHES... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES AN HOUR AT TIMES.
* TIMING... WHILE THE STORM IS EXPECTED LATE MONDAY LINGERING INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY... THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.
* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN WHITE-OUT / BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. TRAVEL WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION. ALSO SNOW MAY BE WET ENOUGH TO RESULT IN DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER OUTAGES IN ADDITION TO THE WINDS.
* WINDS... NORTH-NORTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 65 TO 75 MPH. THE HEIGHT OF THE WINDS WILL BE LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE ACROSS THE COASTAL AREAS.
* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A BLIZZARD WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OVER 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND/OR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BECOME POOR WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS MAY BECOME LOST OR DISORIENTED... SO PERSONS IN THE WARNING AREA ARE ADVISED TO STAY INDOORS.
ALL UNNECESSARY TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED BEGINNING MONDAY AFTERNOON... TO ALLOW PEOPLE ALREADY ON THE ROAD TO SAFELY REACH THEIR DESTINATION BEFORE THE HEAVY SNOW BEGINS... AND TO ALLOW SNOW REMOVAL EQUIPMENT TO BEGIN TO CLEAR ROADS.
&&
More Information
... A CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA MAINLY FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY... LINGERING INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY...

We have bread, milk, and firewood. Phone is charged. I just need to fill the gas tank. Rock salt and shovels are standing by. My big, honkin' Goth shnow boots are toasty 'n waterproof and are also suitable for stage diving.

Base layer has been semi-removed. Bring it on, Zeus and other weather fiends!!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/zA2K%20Stuff/SnowyCar01242015_zps1uixmojl.jpg
This photo of our driveway was taken yesterday.

So, how are you coping? Have you consumed your neighbors yet, in a modern-day suburban retelling of what happened to the Donner Party? Is Netflix still working? Have you gone door to door, asking if anyone has any Grey Poupon?

Do tell.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 23,649 • Replies: 281

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 04:18 pm
@jespah,
have you got one of those device chargers fully loaded? those things are blinking handy - heavy, but handy

20 - 30 inches of snow. No thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 04:24 pm
@jespah,
Great lead in...

I remember, I do remember, lots of snow in the early fifties in our Chicago suburb, loved it, being a kid, but the wind is, to me, since then, the worrisome thing. Unless you have a flat roof..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:10 pm
@jespah,
I'll be happy as long as we don't lose power.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:18 pm
Looks to be a bad one. I hope all will be safe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:42 pm
@jespah,
So I go to the grocery store ... not because of the storm but for my normal weekly shopping. No carriages. Then I spy them bringing some in so I get one. The store is crazy. I'm thinking what the heck is going on?

There are no sweet potatoes .. what store runs out of sweet potatoes. I see my neighbor and she says I think the entire town is here. Then there is no ground beef I was supposed to make meatballs.

So I go to a smaller store afterwards and a guy in there says just get some beer when I am trying to get ground beef .. I opt for wine instead but explain can't really give it to the kids.

I Am totally unprepared as I did not buy 20 cases of water and 20 loaves of bread. I plan to go to work tomorrow and figure I will work from home on tuesday..no big deal. I figure if we loose power bonus I can't work and the deck becomes our kitchen with fridge and grill. We have lots of blankets and a fireplace with lots of wood we are good. And if we get hungry we can go under our deck and capture the bunnies who reside there.
roger

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:45 pm
@Linkat,
Or the neighbor's dog.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:48 pm
@jespah,
Make sure you know where you've got a fondue pot.

Totally saved us in the December 2013 ice storm when we had no power for close to 4 days.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:52 pm
@roger,
Not sure if my dog would be comfortable eating one of his own ... maybe we could find George my daughter's former pet snapping turtle we set free and make turtle soup.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 09:27 pm
My thoughts are with all of you at this time. I survived the Blizzard of 87 and remember it well, Housebound in Jamaica Plain while the plows kept closing off our quaint little side street in order to keep South Huntington Av. and the Jamaicaway clear.
Linkat

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 09:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Blizzard of 78 was even better. No one went anywhere for about a week. I was in high school and no one was allowed to drive except emergency vehicles. I remember my friend whose family owned a triple decker jumped off the top floor balcony into the snow.

Good times.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 09:51 pm
@Linkat,
78 is what I meant. Dyslexia kicking in.
Linkat

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 09:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And I am just dumb enough to think there was a 87 that was big.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 09:55 pm
@Linkat,
Not 45 or 33 1/3?
Linkat

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 10:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe but I wasn't around on either of those.
oralloy

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 07:34 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Blizzard of 78 was even better. No one went anywhere for about a week. I was in high school and no one was allowed to drive except emergency vehicles.

I remember that. I was just a kid, but I remember my mom had to drive to work in it, because she is a nurse and "her getting to work" counted under that emergency vehicle thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 07:35 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
We have bread, milk, and firewood. Phone is charged. I just need to fill the gas tank. Rock salt and shovels are standing by. My big, honkin' Goth shnow boots are toasty 'n waterproof and are also suitable for stage diving.

A small generator to power up the furnace and refrigerator a few times a day can really make an extended power outage much more bearable.

Don't trust delicate electronics to it though. It'll produce a continuous barrage of surges. And don't leave it outside untended for a long time (you have no idea how often generators are stolen).

And a good book. Don't forget to have a good book on hand.
jespah

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:13 am
I have books (I have stuff for school). Need to charge up the tablet; the laptop is charged so that's good. I can also spend time writing.

We have a gas stove and matches, plus there's the outdoor grill if we really get hit badly. Lots of food in the fridge. The downstairs is really cold (this house is ancient) so we could even use it as a fridge, at least briefly, with anything that's not too delicate. E. g. we've put salad in there overnight, just left it in the dining room with the heating vents closed and it's been fine. I wouldn't trust milk in there, though.

We live on a secondary access road so we should see plow action even if it gets really bad. Our driveway is huge, though. We won't be clearing the whole thing for a while, I imagine. Not a big problem until the weekend, for food shopping, as I work from home and RP takes the T.

We also still own a corded phone if we need one.

Blizzard warning (above) hasn't changed. RP has gone to work but doesn't plan on going in tomorrow. I get the feeling it might not be possible, or the roads and T might be closed anyway. I'm just glad we don't have a dog these days, although Jake the Dog would've been diggin' this (literally).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:22 am
@jespah,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 08:25 am
@Linkat,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not 45 or 33 1/3?

Linkat wrote:

Maybe but I wasn't around on either of those.

http://i58.tinypic.com/snc77s.jpg
0 Replies