A Call for Intelligent Respectful Discussion

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:20 am
@FBM,
I wonder how people managed before they had Frank telling them what to do. We should be very grateful.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry Frank, I didn't think that was a very important point, and I thought that I could let it stand since I wasn't interested in arguing the point. I didn't think any further response on that thread would be interesting to anyone.

But yes, I did claim that you hated Brady and Belichick. Yes, that is completely incorrect. Yes I failed to take back my claim. For the record, "you don't hate Brady and Belichick".

Please accept my apology.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:28 am
So... are we all dancing ballet yet?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I did not paraphrase, I replied, paraphrasing involves summarising and rephrasing. I didn't do that. It a shame certain things weren't explained to you a long time ago, it would save a lot of pointless arguments.

You most assuredly did paraphrase, Izzy...and you did not do an accurate job of it.

Here is what you wrote:

Quote:
It still makes a mockery of your advice to put people on ignore.

http://able2know.org/topic/265833-8#post-5877969

I respectfully defy you to find where I advised anyone to put people on ignore!

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
One thing CAN be done with that last class of people, Izzy.

Just avoid discussing anything with anyone whom you truly hold in contempt.Even the people who are not that far down the ladder...but who are, as you put it, stupid and/or say stupid things...are better simply ignored, rather than the constant and repeated "you are stupid", "you are ignorant" that permeate huge percentages of some people's posts.

keep in mind that refusing to engage regularly someone who is disturbing is a hell of a lot better than regularly engaging him/her.

I just cut out the waffle, (not all of it mind.)
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:37 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't understand why people choose to jump into these name-calling contests (unless people really enjoy them).

yes, it is all about Sadism. "like" is not the right word though, it is more itch scratching.

Quote:
If more people just choose to stop the personal insult wars

10% of that which we currently have would be about right. The excessive clutter is very annoying. I often wonder if much of it is avoidance, filling the A2K space with crappola so that they dont need to attempt to support their opinions very often.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:
One thing CAN be done with that last class of people, Izzy.

Just avoid discussing anything with anyone whom you truly hold in contempt.Even the people who are not that far down the ladder...but who are, as you put it, stupid and/or say stupid things...are better simply ignored, rather than the constant and repeated "you are stupid", "you are ignorant" that permeate huge percentages of some people's posts.

keep in mind that refusing to engage regularly someone who is disturbing is a hell of a lot better than regularly engaging him/her.

I just cut out the waffle, (not all of it mind.)

That is not telling people to put others on IGNORE, Izzy. I explained that I do not often engage people I don't especially like...or who are disruptive...but read what they write.

I made the differentiation very clear.

But you are still insisting that what I said is to put people on ignore.

I DID NOT advise people to put people on IGNORE.

You paraphrased what I actually said...and did a truly terrible job of it. And when I called it to your attention, instead of manning up and acknowledging that you screwed up...you are insisting that you are right and I am wrong.

You did paraphrase...and you did a terrible job with the paraphrasing, Izzy.

All called to your attention with the utmost of respect...and with a smile on my face, of course.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:50 am
I have to agree with Frank here. I'm glad to see people I have on 'ignore' being quoted. It's the only way I can understand what the post I'm reading is about, what new idiocy from the ignored one is being responded to. For me, the function of 'ignore' is not to somehow keep me safe from having to read, say, Hawkeye's posts but, rather, to discourage me from ever directly interacting with him.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:57 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
For me, the function of 'ignore' is not to somehow keep me safe from having to read, say, Hawkeye's posts but, rather, to discourage me from ever directly interacting with him.

Right, to save you from being embarrassed. i have multiple times conclusively proven you wrong. Your ego cant take it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's sounds like someone I know, someone who made up a load of **** about Kim Jong Un, and isn't man enough to admit he's wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I really can't be arsed to have another pointless argument with you Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You also seem unable to acknowledge that when you asserted that I advised people to put other people on IGNORE...

...you were dead wrong.

I've never done that.

But...hey...there are lots of people here in A2K who refuse to acknowledge when they are wrong. You are just one among many.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:13 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You also seem unable to acknowledge that when you asserted that I advised people to put other people on IGNORE...

...you were dead wrong.

I've never done that.

But...hey...there are lots of people here in A2K who refuse to acknowledge when they are wrong. You are just one among many.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:21 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I understand that, Iz.

...you were dead wrong.

I've never done that.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:00 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is almost funny. You are engaging Frank to tell him you aren't going to have a pointless argument with him. You could just stop responding (in fact either one of you could). It takes two people to continue a pointless argument, and only one to stop it. There is no point to these posts.

What's wrong with just not responding?
giujohn

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
This is a complete list of all the posters I have on "ignore."

nononono
BillRM
coldjoint
carloslebaron
One Eyed Mind
giujohn
Quehoniaomath

What the ****...I'm way down at number 6 on this idiots list??? I am GREATLY DISAPPOINTED.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Excellent!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

This is almost funny. You are engaging Frank to tell him you aren't going to have a pointless argument with him. You could just stop responding (in fact either one of you could). It takes two people to continue a pointless argument, and only one to stop it. There is no point to these posts.

What's wrong with just not responding?

It does not work to scratch the sadistic itch.
0 Replies