A Call for Intelligent Respectful Discussion

glitterbag

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 01:21 am
@Poseidon384,
welcome Poseidon384, check through all the topics, you may find several forums you might actually enjoy. It's a spirited group, if members can help they will give you the best possible advice they possess. It's pretty freeform, so some will argue against you and others will support you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 04:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Something strange is definitely afoot when Hawkeye starts making sense.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 10:39 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I would like the ability to have intelligent respectful discussions on topics that with people who don't share my point of view. This should be one of the best parts of such a public forum that doesn't have a set viewpoint.

All you can do is ignore the yellers and remain civil in your own posts.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:15 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
All you can do is ignore the yellers and remain civil in your own posts.

I do remain civil in my own posts. But, I don't believe that is all I can do.

Able2Know represents a community. I am a part of that community. If enough people raise the issue, and enough people agree that civility will lead to a better place for intelligent discussion, we can improve the environment for everyone.

My hope is that enough people will want to foster an environment where intelligent, respectful discussion trumps personal attacks. If enough people agree to discuss issues without personal attacks then Able2know will change for the better.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:52 am
@maxdancona,
Yes but any attempt to raise the issue will be attacked by your opponents as yet another form of ad hominem... It doesn't help much to discuss this in a climate / context of animosity. It just adds to the mud slidding. I stick to what i can control, ie my own delivery. Which is not free of personal attacks by any means, but in a discriminate manner I would hope. I try to pick my battles more carefuly than before.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:23 pm
@Olivier5,
I am speaking to fellow members of this community (rather than to opponents).

This is a community. We collectively make the tone of this forum. The more of us who agree to be respectful when we disagree without personal attacks, the better this forum will be as a place for intelligent discussions.

Let's change the climate...
Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Ok, as long as leading by example is not off the table, you got my vote in support of a more civil, considerate climate for discussions on A2K. For what it's worth... :-)
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 01:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Threads like the one about anecdotes and statistics are a good start, because they aren't politically charged and people are less likely to start snapping at each other. They will tend to attract the right kind of people to the site.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 01:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

2) Attacking a person... name-calling or demonizing an A2Kmember is never helpful or acceptable.

I agree in principle. However, when someone is stubbornly intellectually dishonest, repeating the same logical fallacy again and again, citing misinformation again and again, despite having been linked to authoritative refutations, it takes an almost superhuman amount of constraint to not call that person out on being a fecking idjit.

That said, I shall endeavor to persevere to refrain from exposing H*r*ld's adolescent idjiocy and reserve my criticisms for his crappy "arguments" instead. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/grin.gif
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 02:25 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

2) Attacking a person... name-calling or demonizing an A2Kmember is never helpful or acceptable.

I agree in principle. However, when someone is stubbornly intellectually dishonest, repeating the same logical fallacy again and again, citing misinformation again and again, despite having been linked to authoritative refutations, it takes an almost superhuman amount of constraint to not call that person out on being a fecking idjit.

That said, I shall endeavor to persevere to refrain from exposing H*r*ld's adolescent idjiocy and reserve my criticisms for his crappy "arguments" instead. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/grin.gif

Well played!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 07:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am speaking to fellow members of this community (rather than to opponents).

This is a community. We collectively make the tone of this forum. The more of us who agree to be respectful when we disagree without personal attacks, the better this forum will be as a place for intelligent discussions.

Let's change the climate...

that would be a great idea, we could piss all over the bad arguments and ideas rather than piss all over those who voice ideas that we dont like. Does not happen around here, instead all we get are the routine chicken **** calls to rid the collective of undesirables, usually by way of the force of authority. So goes America goes A2K. We are lazy and we are sadistic, not a good combo.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
We? Speak for yourself.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 12:00 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

We? Speak for yourself.

I did. I cant dumb the thought down anymore for you. Sorry.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 03:51 am
@hawkeye10,
That was funny! Look in your mirror.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 02:09 pm
So you got three votes: FBM's, Hawk's and mine.

Now what?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 04:07 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1972302_398270013648604_2054425749_n.jpg?oh=a7cc4170c9850bdc28aece58743d5e3b&oe=5523C7E7&__gda__=1428516046_039c090af3168e32c4e56d9ef3c2bdac
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 05:45 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
So you got three votes: FBM's, Hawk's and mine.

Four.
http://able2know.org/topic/265833-1#post-5873563

Olivier5 wrote:
Now what?

Good question. I'm not sure that there is much that can be done. But I'm willing to listen to proposals.

I'm kind of busy in World of Warcraft at the moment, but I'll check back later.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 05:53 pm
@oralloy,
You don't know how to listen - to anything.

You're what' s termed as a "dumbkoff." Inability to learn any more for the remainder of your pathetic life.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 06:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This response is not really in line with the spirit of this thread, Cicerone.

Oralloy has been very supportive of the idea of civility in this thread.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 06:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This response is not really in line with the spirit of this thread, Cicerone.

Oralloy has been very supportive of the idea of civility in this thread.

So what? He's still a dumkopf.