A Call for Intelligent Respectful Discussion

RABEL222

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 12:12 am
@izzythepush,
It would have been helpful if you had posted that load of **** so the rest of us would know what the hell your talking about.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:44 am
@RABEL222,
It's all on this thread.

http://able2know.org/topic/256561-1
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 09:27 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy, In the thread you link to Hawkeye states an opinion, and you attack him for it. I don't see anything on that thread that is bad behavior on Hawkeye's part.

People are allowed to be wrong.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 10:26 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Izzy, In the thread you link to Hawkeye states an opinion, and you attack him for it. I don't see anything on that thread that is bad behavior on Hawkeye's part.

People are allowed to be wrong.

I agree with you here, Max.

Hawk states an opinion which he offers as his "best guess" and his "first bet.")

Izzy got a bit snarky with him...and then expanded it to an attack of sorts...suggesting that Hawk had been more definitive than a guess or a bet at first and that he was now changing his story.

Hawk was consistent and courteous throughout.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 12:54 am
This pretty much sums up my complaints about shunning and calls to ban people with bad ideas. Re doctors opinions of anti-vaxxers:

Quote:
This exercise has convinced me we ought to reserve the phrase “anti-vaxxer” for that small group of committed, loud-mouthed ignoramuses who try to spread their pernicious, conspiratorial nonsense to innocent parents and children. The vast majority of those who don’t vaccinate their children, however, represent a collective social failure. Somehow, we’re slowly losing a debate to a group of people who are spectacularly, demonstrably wrong. If we can’t beat them, we should blame ourselves. I know pediatricians already are.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/02/how_do_pediatricians_work_with_anti_vaccine_parents_mds_frustrations_failures.html

Keep trying to engage. Keep talking about reality. Shunning, hostility, and banishments do not do anything to defeat bad ideas, which is the main point, not having a tranquil space.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 08:08 am
@hawkeye10,
Its really simple. Get your two pals carpfart and oralliar to stop it.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I will walk with anyone who happens to be going my way at any particular time, but I am a lone wolf. I dont speak for anyone else, and I am not responsible for what anyone else does.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:53 am
@hawkeye10,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Bobsal never does anything other than spew vile name-calling.

If everyone put him on ignore, it would do much to improve the climate on a2k.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 01:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

usually is good for regurgitating the liberal propaganda which has been broadcast to the riff-raff. This is education to this idiot.

I dont have any use for anyone who cant think for themselves, be they on the left or the right.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 03:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I will walk with anyone who happens to be going my way at any particular time, but I am a lone wolf. I dont speak for anyone else, and I am not responsible for what anyone else does.

In reality you hang out with the same bunch of women haters, far right extremists and social inadequates.

Someone who does not know the difference between patients/patience, bizarre/bazaar, and makes ridiculous pronouncements about the Tottenham riots and North Korea, has no place calling anyone else an idiot.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

usually is good for regurgitating the liberal propaganda which has been broadcast to the riff-raff. This is education to this idiot.

I dont have any use for anyone who cant think for themselves, be they on the left or the right.

So, you are an independent thinker? Based on what you write it's hard to tell. And pots shouldn't be calling kettles black. signed, the riff-raff
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:20 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
So, you are an independent thinker? Based on what you write it's hard to tell. And pots shouldn't be calling kettles black. signed, the riff-raff

says the person who seems to be so incredibly stupid that they dont know that everyone makes their own judgments, that this is at the root of what freedom is.

Riff-Raff is a good label for you.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

In reality you hang out with the same bunch of women haters, far right extremists and social inadequates.

Someone who does not know the difference between patients/patience, bizarre/bazaar, and makes ridiculous pronouncements about the Tottenham riots and North Korea, has no place calling anyone else an idiot.

Dont hold your breath waiting for me to decide that I need your permission to hold my current beliefs. You can however attempt to change my mind. This would require you to make a strong argument, so I understand that I probably should not hold my breath either.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
I guess that might sting if I gave a crap about what you think.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 07:55 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I guess that might sting if I gave a crap about what you think.

You cared enough to respond, and as always you are responsible for your actions.

Would it shock you if I told you that I generally pay no attention to what women say, that I only pay attention to what they do?

Gotcha.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 08:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Shock me? You have to be kidding, you don't even surprise me. And the fact that I occasionally respond to something you may post is not all that noteworthy. However, you seem to have trouble ignoring my comments.

I have to ask this again, why in the world would it matter to me that you don't care to hear what women have to say??? Would you be shocked if I told you I don't listen to the nonsense guys like you spout? I'm not that needy or patient. Come on, neither one of us is shocked.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 08:19 pm
i'm shocked

of course standing in this bucket of water and holding this hair dryer probably doesn't help
glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:46 pm
@djjd62,
I think that would shock everybody standing in a bucket of water.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, for the record I consider you to be one of the more constructive, reasonable and interesting participants on A2K
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 09:13 pm
Well. I came for intelligent discussion and your all rolling over the lack of intelligence in this vary article. At least its a clear majority vote and not a mush and muck.

I would love to see what kind of conversations we can have Max.

I love intelligent discussions. However. I have a personal variation in opinion:

If a person is acting ignorant when they are in fact simply being arrogant, and they continually ignore context, facts, evidence and the discussion... name calling is justified. And if they review the article, to verify why you name call then they would/ Should see why you were name calling and agree (since this is theoretical; we are using a justified reason as an example). But if they are being arrogant, even when you scientifically conclude they are *****'s then... you know where the conversation is coming from and going, but you can't just bail, or they win. because those are the situations where you are handing them a shovel to burry themselves, and they always do.

What really gets me is when an educated person thinks they are smart and takes offensive stances on topics which they are ignorant. Or when someone uses fallible claims as facts... or when a well-liked member of the community starts trolling people and everyone sides with them like the popular girl slamming a nerd.
0 Replies