I think we need a thread about posting photos in diff situations

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 04:01 pm
I've tried to help people but I'm not your most tech savvy person, more a tech fool, re different computers. My own is nearing antique. What I remember from yesteryear is some differences between pcs and macs for even isolating a photo shown in a website. There are differences between posting your own photos, how you have them in your computer, and how to get them to end in jpeg in an URL, and show that in a post, via photo websites - and photos from somewhere online and how to link them to a post.

Meanwhile, on art threads, people looking for help are floundering. Some are more knowledgeable than others about art. Some seem to think any scribble or splash by anyone ever is online somewhere and identifiable if someone will help if they verbally describe it. Some try to add photos but somehow mess up.

Meantime, people who are interested in some piece of art they have run across are getting joked about fairly often, which is understandable since they seem dumb, but not welcoming, and this is still a knowledge site.

Many smart people here who do know how to, say, post one of their own photos still don't know about how to resize photos, so the level of not getting stuff about all this can vary.
Re resizing, the how to is shown early (September, 2008) in the A2K blog.

Anyone up for writing up a thorough explanation?
Tico has one that Region links to help people that has been really good but doesn't cover everything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,087 • Replies: 16
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a good idea Osso, when I have free time I can help and maybe others can help out as well.

I can help out with re-sizing of photos, quick and easy for me.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 07:37 pm
@jcboy,
Yeh, maybe a group effort.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:01 pm
I'll add that I understand many questioners are just curious and don't suppose a painting or print is worth money. They may want to figure out what a relative saved it for.

There are millions of painters. We all don't paint for fame or just the right present technique or explosive idea.

Family painters matter, that is a window.

My point - photos matter for a lot of people.
I'd like that to be easy.

FBM

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is how I resize and post photos on my PC:

Open a free Photobucket account.
When you see a photo somewhere that you want to post elsewhere, right click on it and save it to your computer. Remember where it is.
Go to Photobucket and click "Upload."
In the window that pops up, find the photo and double click on it.
After it's uploaded to Photobucket, hover your cursor over the upper right corner.
In the drop-down menu, click "Share Links."
In the next window, click in the bottom box (IMG). The URL will automatically be copied.
Go to the site where you want to post the photo and paste it there. (Ctrl + v)

If you want to resize a photo, hover your cursor over the upper right corner of the photo in Photobucket.
Click "Edit."
It will open to another menu that has "Resize" at the top. Click that.
You will see the current width and height.
Just change the numbers to smaller numbers.
Hit "Apply."
Done.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:52 pm
@FBM,
I know how to use photobucket. Please address this, useful, to people new at using these kind of websites.
I don't mean to be obnoxious but I remember being very confused in my early days.
FBM

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, I thought that's what you intended this thread for.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:30 pm
@FBM,
And I'm sorry, you are right.
I need to take myself out of this.
Your comments were good.

Swats self.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:58 pm
@ossobuco,
How about this ... I updated my prior tutorial, and also added some "resize" steps:

Quote:
How to add an image to A2K in 6 PAINFULLY easy steps:

1. Navagate to "imgur.com" in your browser.

2. Click on "Upload images". You might have to look for this, but it's sorta toward the upper left of the page.

3. If the image is on your computer, click "browse your computer", and navigate to your image on your computer, and click "Open". If the image is in your clipboard, click "Control + V" ("paste from your clipboard"), and then press ctrl+v on your keyboard.

4. Click "Start Upload".

Seconds later .... Voila ... your image is now hosted on the Internet!

5. Copy the link to the image, which is found to the right of the displayed image. (I use the "BBCode" link, and just paste that directly into my A2K post -- it adds the IMG codes so I don't have to. Otherwise you can use the "Direct Link" and add those codes yourself.)

6. Paste the link into your A2K post (using the IMG codes if using the "Direct Link" method, or without using the IMG codes if using the "BBCode" method.)

(Voila again ... you have just added a link of your image to your post. Always preview to make sure it worked properly.)

Note: The IMG codes should like something like this, as they surround the link to your image in your post:
Code:[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FyZ77EH.png[/IMG]

How to RESIZE an image in 6 OUTRAGEOUSLY easy steps:

A. Follow the steps to post an image at "imgur.com" (Steps 1-4 in the "PAINFULLY easy" tutorial.)

B. Once the image is uploaded to imgur.com, click the "Edit image" button (toward the upper right part of the page).

C. To resize the image, change the numbers for either height or width -- keeping "lock proportions" checked.

D. Click "Apply".

E. Click "Save".

F. Follow Steps 5-6 in the "PAINFULLY easy" tutorial to post the image to A2K.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:38 pm
@FBM,
I know how to resize, I just don't want to tell people how forever - we need a comprehensive how-to link that people can just show the next person who doesn't even know to show a photo.

People also post photos from google images and some of them are very large, turning into balloons.

I mentioned that the a2k blog tells how, but that was years ago now.

http://blog.able2know.org/2008/09/13/new-image-bbcode-features-size-and-align/
Personally, I keep my photo width max 900.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:39 pm
@FBM,
What I am looking for is if we can work out some kind of How To to just link for people who need help.

People who pick photos from google images don't often know that what they are capturing is way to big or what to do about it, if so.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'm liking this.

I'll wallow about it tomorrow, re stuff re macs and pcs re just capturing an online photo in the first place.
more viewpoints are good..

my understanding of macs and pcs when I used both is now getting archaic. Need more info..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
More. Robert or whoever made that early post on how to size photos online was right. It can go a little wider than he said but that was in the ballpark and maybe then just right for sight usage. Still works.

If your favorite online google photo of wherever place you love is one with high pixels and there are no others of that, what do you do to tame it down? Look at his link for how.
jespah

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 07:50 am
@ossobuco,
If the link still works, then use that as your tutorial. It doesn't need to be rewritten if the methodology has not changed.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 08:21 pm
@jespah,
Well, there is a tutorial that is pretty damned good, by tico.

Some moves may vary with macs at the beginning, or have for me when I used both computers, but that was a long time ago now, re how you click where.

It's true that if you participate in various photo websites, they can show you how to resize your own photo.

But google image and, I suppose, other sites have photos to offer of wildly varying sizes.
What I see as missing, is the basic info from Robert, to adjust that, so I'll copy it -
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New image BBCode features (size and align)
September 13, 2008 | By Robert Gentel
We have made updates to the image bbcode to allow you to specify the size and alignment of the images you post. This can be useful if the image is too big or if you’d like the text to wrap the image. Here is how to do it.

To specify the size, use width and height attributes on the opening image tag like this:

http://imageurl

If you want to align the image you can use “left”, “right” or “center” in an align attribute like this:

http://imageurl

If you want to see an example of what you can do with the image align attribute see this topic.

Update: for a better example using both size and align at the same time see this topic on the Falling Man Photo

I use this all the time, at least when dealing with google images.
I find the key number for width is just under 1000.

I commonly try to get things down to, say, 900 width and 600 height. That fits in the a2k space. Smaller may be wiser re site usage.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, ok, I'll type it out.

No, I won't, it's in the Blog on the far right of the bottom of the page,
September 13, 2008 | By Robert Gentel
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
It works.
0 Replies