Is Feminism equal?

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 09:42 am
I'm a guy, And I believe in equal rights for all genders and races but is feminism equal for women and men? On social networking and the internet i have seen people arguing both sides of the argument and I am not sure if feminism is purely equality. for instance, Something I've never understood is how some people want reproduction rights, such as insurance to pay for birth control and similar things but men do not get things like that. that is unequal. also, a few reasons why there might be a price gap is because 1) Men are generally larger than women which means that they can do physical labor more easily and 2) more women graduate from college than men which may cause competition for jobs.

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 10:12 am
@whataboutmen,
Where does a guy being bigger have anything whatsoever to do with coverage for birth control?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 11:07 am
@whataboutmen,
Birth control is a pretty stupid example. Every time a woman benefits from birth control, a man does to.

I am pretty happy that my girlfriend and I have access to inexpensive birth control pills.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 02:24 pm
A better example of Feminism being unequal is in the custody of children after a divorce. Feminist groups, including NOW oppose shared custody. They want mothers to be given sole custody in most cases, saying that fathers having equal time is harmful to children.

Custody has always been an area where men have been disadvantaged (to the detriment of children). If feminism was about equality, you would think that they would take a more equal position on this topic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 03:22 pm
I lived through a situation where the on-the-face-of-it bias toward women was outta sight, re a matter going on in my larger family. I (female, and yes, ordinary feminist) wasn't allowed into the room since I might testify (pro dad, but in any case, might testify, this is routine and makes sense) and dad lost big time and paid for it for years, as did the child.

The judge was a woman, the attorney for the mother (don't get me going) was a woman, the attorney for the child was a woman, the child dressed like a princess bride. All of those are reasonable, but before I was removed from the room, re possibly being called to testify, I could almost smell the atmosphere, maybe just my apprehension.

The child was an older four, if I remember correctly. Dad's attorney was someone with no child court experience (don't get me started again, just a divorce attorney someone knew, things happened fast). The situation was complicated, long to explain here and not my business to explain, but involved - as I understand it from what I did know, something like conspiracy to defraud except the the defrauders wouldn't have known those words.

While we were outside the courtroom, me back in my outside seat, I went over to the mother, also outsided, to say hello. I didn't then and don't now hate her. She sat alone. Just a few words.

She remembered that. She called me every so often. My replies varied, as I'm not ready for whining at midnight. Some of it was unintelligible. Some was against dad. I'll stipulate that dad can be annoying. Overall, we talked mostly how the child was doing.

Many years later, perhaps a dozen, she was a mess in many ways, huge basic health problems, addiction, confusion problems. She would call me, and at one point, she apologized for what happened, re the charges re dad, though not explicitly.
I'm sure of that.

Back to the original charges re dad, one was for some show of what, in the shower.

A few weeks went by and I called the psychiatrist that was then handling the case, to get heard. He was oddly glad to hear from me. He had been disturbed, as the child had no clue about upright penis photos, and other matters didn't fit. Good conversation, he asking stuff. The denouement though was that things couldn't change. I found out he died not too long later.

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 03:39 pm
Of course feminism is not equal. They want to take over. When they do, they'll be coming for you, for your balls . . . with a gelding knife . . .

http://uploads.forums.gamersfirst.com/uploads/profile/photo-397847.png?_r=0
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 03:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I started another thread on the topic of shared custody, since this thread will only get uglier fast.

http://able2know.org/topic/265599-1

(... am I naive to assume that my new thread won't get just as ugly?)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I should explain - those times took her in the shower were when she was two.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 04:28 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't know. I get it that you understand women wanting rights, like I and many others who wanted to be doctors or lawyers not so long ago. Depends on how old you are, what is considered long, but I get that you are against the extreme side of academic feminist studies.

I have not read up on academic feminism. I would probably agree with some writers and not others. Having not read them, I've no idea what I would think.

I have slightly followed some academic spats with bemusement and confusion, most re gender issues, since I'm interested in gender issues related to friends, but now also more generally.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 09:13 am
Feminist women are unhappy women... their dreams of being equal to men mostly ends by seeing them becoming lesbians...

The problem is that it can't exist such a kind of equality because these groups defending social rights work to obtain more privileges over the preached "equality".

Feminist women will demand equality in salary but will expect men to pay the restaurant bill on a date (???)

Feminist women will demand the custody of children and a good cut from the father's salary, but won't accept a judge decision favoring the custody for the father and the cut of the woman's salary for child support.

Feminist women see men as their "enemy" instead of their friend and companion.

As I said before, feminist women are unhappy most of the time, you can't have a reasonable conversation with them, they want to be "so independent" that they can find friends only with similar women with the same ego, and this category are mostly filled with lesbians.

I agree that society has been hard on women, but today's feminists want to go further than just equality.

Unfortunately for them, likening it or not, women depend on men as men depend on women, and for this reason their feminist extremist campaign is ignored by the majority of men and majority of women as well.

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:10 pm
@carloslebaron,
Holocaust deniers are unhappy people...
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:18 pm
Feminism is a sinister plot to turn all women into lesbian witches. Pat Robertson said so; so, it's got to be true! Mr. Green
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 07:48 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Holocaust deniers are unhappy people...

Do you think so?

I think it's the contrary. The defenders of the hypothesis of the Holocaust have been following me throughout the topics in these forums just to point their finger on me as " a Holocaust denier'..." Exactly as you are doing right now...

They seem to be so sad and angry because the majority of people around the world don't believe the story tale of the Holocaust. I have been participating in tens of forums, and in other countries -even in Europe, lol- people don't buy it.

Going back to topic.

Feminists started with the good intention to protect women from the abuses of men. But, their current policy is asking more than is allowed in order to negotiate some advances favoring their cause.

The problem is that their attitude is ugly when one just don't listen to their claims.

NSFW (view)
DaVoice

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 10:35 pm
@carloslebaron,
They're like many pointless groups.

Nazi feminists must have woken up one morning and thought "Hey! You know what? I'm completely boring and particularly non-applicable to society so I'll...join a group that hates men and that way I will get some attention and people will think I'm intelligent..." (Note to self - "after all, no man will go near me anyway, hence the reason I'm doing this" 😏).

The only good thing about feminists is that it is giving me a little bit of enjoyment by posting things like this. 😃
0 Replies