Should children get immunizations?

2tfx

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 04:27 pm
I live in a area where the majority of parents are afraid to get vaccinations for their kids because they fear the side effects, but there are cases of Whooping Cough, measles and Meningitis. Vaccinations are meant to protect ALL of us.

jespah

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 04:28 pm
@2tfx,
Ayup, they should get vaccinations.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 04:52 pm
@2tfx,
We are seeing the consequences for those who have not had children vaccinated against the common childhood diseases. The once mostly eradicated measles, whooping cough, mumps, and chicken pox diseases have all made a comeback in the U.S. in the last 10 years. Mostly thought to be due to lack of vaccination, but also because some of the vaccinations have lost effectiveness and need to be renewed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/measles-outbreak-spreading-beyond-disney-visitors/

Quote:
More than 50 cases of measles have now been linked to the outbreak that started spreading at Disney theme parks in Southern California right before Christmas. And health officials report an increase in cases among people who did not visit the parks, indicating that the illness is now spreading to others exposed in their communities.

The latest figures from the California Department of Public Health identify 51 confirmed cases of measles. The majority -- at least 41 cases -- are in California. Most of the patients had not been vaccinated.

Health officials in Utah confirmed Monday that a third person in that state has been diagnosed: an unvaccinated child who had contact with two siblings who were infected at one of the parks.

In Orange County, California, where at least 16 people have gotten sick, officials say the 6 most recent patients were not at Disney and did not have known contact to any of the confirmed Disney visitors. That worrisome development "indicates exposure to measles is more widespread throughout the county," the agency said in a statement. It went on to say officials expect "the measles outbreak will continue to spread."

Measles is highly contagious and can spread through a sneeze or cough before a person even knows they have it. The virus can remain airborne and live on surfaces for a period of time, making transmission harder to trace.

Before the vaccine became available in 1963, the CDC says 400 to 500 Americans died of measles every year and 4,000 suffered encephalitis from it.

Vaccination efforts were successful enough that measles was officially declared eliminated in the U.S. in 2000. But cases still occasionally emerge, mostly among unvaccinated people who contracted it overseas in countries where the illness is more common. Experts say a crowded place full of international visitors like Disneyland would be an easy place for it to spread.

California had its worst measles outbreak in decades last year, and many cases were linked to families who opted out of having their children vaccinated. Overall the U.S. had 644 confirmed cases of measles in 2014, the most in 20 years.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:12 pm
@2tfx,
What area do you live in? I'm guessing you either live in a wealthy area of California or some hill-billy burgh cut off from the rest of the world.

All kids should get vaccinated. There is no excuse not to.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 09:27 am
@2tfx,
In most cases, the immunization side effects are miniminal and/or so small a percentage it is definately worth it. In other words, the chances of your child were to get some of these diseases/illnesses and how severe the results of such illnesses are much greater than the small chance of a side effect.

Most of these parents are ill (pun intended) informed. Many claim oh no autism where there is no proof there is a relationship -- often times parents panic and do not get all the facts and as a result, although well intentioned, do what is worse for their child.

One thing, I would suggest though - is ask the doctor how long the vaccination has been around for -- sometimes "new" vaccinations are suggested...I would not want my child to be guinea pig either. However the majority of these vaccinations have been in existence for lots of years and therefore side effects are known.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 02:10 pm
It may be the preservatives in the immunizations that are causing side effects. Because of this, unless I want to deal with the dizziness and several days of aching joints, I have to get a customized flu shot every year. I got the first of these last year and didn't experience any of the usual side effects at all.

I would tell these parents to ask their medical provider if there are similar non-preservative vaccines for the childhood immunizations.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 01:57 pm
"The virus can remain airborne and live on surfaces for a period of time, making transmission harder to trace."

I heard for up to 4 hours!!
0 Replies

Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 10:12 pm
http://deadstate.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Screen-Shot-2015-01-23-at-10.00.51-AM.png

Self explanatory chart from WaPo.
hailey416

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 01:59 am
@Butrflynet,
It is a very foolish thing to fail to give a baby the protection of the regular immunisations unless it is known that there will be an adverse reaction.

Infants don't have strong enough immune systems to cope with a full-blown attack of diseases like whooping cough (pertussis), measles or mumps. Immunisation stimulates the immune system to prepare for any future attack by making antibodies against the disease. These remain in the body which is thus prepared to resist the disease itself.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 04:44 am
@hailey416,
Definitely - without question.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:22 am
@2tfx,
I had heard there is a doctor in CA that will not have children and as patients that have noto been immunized as a result of the measles outbreak.
0 Replies

NathaliaSimon

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:44 am
@2tfx,
Of-course. This is very important.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:52 am
When I was a kid in California, they gave us shots while in school. I don't recall that they even asked if we agreed to take any. This was in the 40s and 50s, though.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 08:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Good memory, Edgar. I think it was about measles and polio.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 09:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
For polio, they had a special event at the school. My Mom brought in all the kids for their shots. I recall one of my brothers trying to pretend he already had his, but his ruse was exposed and he had to take one, too. If my memory is right, we took a series of three.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 09:13 am
@edgarblythe,
My daughter is very much opposed to immunizations. But she is 9, so we make her take them anyway.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 09:15 am
@Benson-In-A-Box,
Why do they do graphs like that? Graphing the cumulative number is misleading and manipulative.

There are more measles cases in April then in December. Why not have the shape of the graph reflect that?

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 09:31 am
@edgarblythe,
I vaguely remember that too - going to the school together and us all getting shots - this is more likely in the late 60s
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:48 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B98OS5YCMAAiMBQ.jpg
0 Replies