Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:19 pm
How do you balance acidity without sugar?

Tonight I made a sort of curry-gumbo. First I made a roux with some curry spice in it. Then I thinned out the roux with water and added chick peas and canned tomatoes (drained). I also added okra and corn. I tasted it, and it was too acidic, so I adjusted using sugar. I also added salt, pepper and some other spices. I tasted again, and it was still too acidic. So I added more. Did this a few times. Wound up making it too sweet.

My toddler liked it. I would have preferred it less sweet. Is there a way to balance the acidity without sugar?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,511 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
Onions? Potato? I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
Cav can probably anser this better than I but I use cinnamon a lot to balance things out. Works especially well with tomato sauces.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:26 pm
Very Southern Italian of you fishin.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
This always happens when I make a tomato-based sauce.

Maybe I should just use less tomato?
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:14 pm
I am not a cook. However, my experience as a carpet cleaner (I have to deal with chemistry--particularly pH--on a daily basis) leads me to believe that baking soda might solve your problem.

Baking soda, when added to water, is a strong alkaline. It also tastes a bit salty, just so you know.

Of course, it might make your gumbo rise out of the pot...Smile

General Tsao
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:19 am
I've used just a bit of baking soda to cut acidity. Some tomatoes are more aggressive than other tomatoes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:31 am
For tomatoes, you can also use nutmeg.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 10:27 am
My family has always loved the acidic taste of fresh tomatos. In fact, we look for the most acidic types to grow in our garden. Pick one ripe off the vine, sprinkle with a little salt, and mmm..... That's summer for me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 10:32 am
First off, you may just want to try a few different brands of canned tomatoes, if that's what you will most likely use. Some are sweeter than others. I like the directly imported from Italy canned tomatoes with basil leaf. I can't give you a brand, because the supply changes all the time. One other thing you can do is cook down the tomatoes slowly to thicken and concentrate the natural sweetness before using them in the dish. Then, just use less of it in the recipe than usual. The spicing ideas are all good. Also, if the tomatoes are still a problem, try using a little honey. You will only need half the amount to regular sugar, which really cuts down on the empty calories.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:39 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will probably try them all at some point.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:41 pm
I have heard of basil leaves in this connection, though the subject was spaghetti sauce. Never tried it, so can't suggest a quantity.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
Basil does wonders to a tomato sauce, fresh basil, not dried. However, the tomatoes with basil leaf is sort of like canned pork and beans. One leaf, just like that one stupid piece of pork belly you get with the beans, but that's not the point. It's the tomatoes that are sweeter. They just take tomatoes, even canned, more seriously in Italy.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:22 pm
I tried the Italian canned tomatoes, and they were great.
Perfectly balanced, no need to add sugar (or anything acidic, either).

Thanks Cav!
0 Replies

Herbsindiapure

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:19 am
@bromeliad,
Hi bromeliad,
Acid reflux is normally caused after the consumption of heavy meal, this causes the food to leak backwards to the oesophagus causing heartburn and other irritations

A readmade home remedy to this is, swallowing ahandful of fenugreek slowly followed by drink a glass full of water.

Stay healthy! Stay Happy!
0 Replies