American Sniper: Hagiography of a killer? Ode to a Hero? Something in between?

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 09:44 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

I wonder why people take seriously movies made in Hollywood.

Good point when most of us don't even take the print media as honest sources.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:13 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

What we must teach to our children and young people, is for them to understand that Hollywood movies are manipulated by the creativity of the producer and the director.

That's what I essentially said in my first post, even before I saw the film: most movies about war are propaganda to a certain degree, whether they are "pro" or "anti". They make arguments about the morality of the particular war, and nobody gets all the facts right.

Quote:
From my part, I heard what Michael Moore said about the sniper, so I will save my money to watch real heroes like the Ninja Turtles instead of watching cowards shooting people in the back...

Using snipers is an effective strategy in battle. The military brass knows this and gives these men orders to act as snipers, and the men are carrying out those orders. They aren't cowards; they are doing their part in the war effort. Few people called "Jackson" in Saving Private Ryan a coward after they saw that film.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 07:54 am
‘American Sniper': Counting Down the Records Clint Eastwood Broke
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/american-sniper-counting-down-the-records-clint-eastwood-broke-1201408376/
Box Office: ‘American Sniper’ Sets Super Bowl Weekend Record With $31.8 Million
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-american-sniper-sets-super-bowl-weekend-record-with-31-8-million-1201420720/
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 11:42 am
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2018 09:14 pm
I think it is a very powerful movie & I think many people think so. Look at the end of the movie when you see real footage of his funeral. Much respect to him & his family!
0 Replies