New York Meet...Blatham, Lola, Joe Nation...moi!

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:01 pm
Bernie, Jane, Jonathan and I met in The Big Apple last night for dinner.

Bernie was sick...and Jonathan was not feeling much better. Jane and I coulda run a marathon!

I had asked Tsarstepan to join us...but because of the illness, decided not to call him back when we all finally got together. (Near the Clock in the Waldorf Astoria!)

Great to see our old New York friends again. Seemed like old times. Our first meet (after lots of regular meets) in about 7 years.

We hit an Italian place on 2nd Avenue for a dinner, some drinks, and lots of conversation. I scrambled out early, because my ride home from the City is a long one.

I have no pictures, because I was not able to download the ones from my camera for some reason. But Jonathan and Jane both have some...and I expect they will post them in replies here.

(Wow...the fettuccine Alfredo with peas was so goddam good, I am making some here at home tonight!)

I'll talk about taking the atheists for a trip through St. Patrick's Cathedral later in the thread.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 6,559 • Replies: 86

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This is what the clock at the Waldorf looks like:

http://www.z-mation.com/phpbb/files/ny_waldorf_astoria_lobby_and_clock_8_856.jpg

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:38 pm
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/SD5qmhNgkZMails5aGxuzVVRwOnqAv4mhWeMZCMj31WH=w433-h322-p-no

Remind me not to sit in the foreground of a photo with three of the smallest people in the world.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
Everyone looks fabulous:)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Indeed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:58 pm
Looking good, folks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Going to give the name of that place on 2nd? Pretty please?

I've been into the Waldorf once. 1950. Egads. All I remember is not the Waldorf's interior, but going past a glittery jewelry store (those are emeralds, my mother told me) somewhere by the entrance.

Y'all look great, if not all up to snuff.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 01:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Bernie and I are traveling today. We or I will post when we get home
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:39 pm
I owe Frank twenty bucks.
He came to have some pizza and a beer.
We (the rest of us, me especially) ended up ordering Fettuccini Alfredo AND wine AND my Manhattan(s) made with Maker's Mark.
AND three pizzas....
Yes...my scale was up this morning.

~gotta tell you....it makes my heart sing to know that J and B are together....the same as S and I are,,,,thousands of miles separate us, thousands of miles separate them....yet seeing them sit side by side ....you'd think they'd never let any distance be between them.

These long distance relationships are not easy.

Joe(love is so fricking tough)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:43 pm
Oh, forgot..

http://www.ninos46.com/

I'd been there before,,,,,,there was a fire or something,,,they were closed for awhile. I used to get my hair cut down the street and then stop in for a drink.
Joe(real NEW YAWK)Nation
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:52 pm
Thanks everyone for stopping by...and for your comments.

I wish all of you had been there.

Looking forward to more pictures from the others.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:57 pm
@Joe Nation,
Nothing like an italian menu to get me all excited. That shrimp fettucine dish got to me.

A Maker's Mark manhattan, oh gawd.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sounds great.nsorry people were sick.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:05 pm
No shrimp.
Bernie doesn't do seafood. He lives on a island on the Pacific Coast, but doesn't eat seafood.

Joe(wha?)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 07:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Bernie? I get it. Not complete agreement, but get it.

In my case it doesn't matter, seafood is more than dead on arrival here. You can guess I miss it.

I lived in Eureka, home of good seafood a lot of the time, including the crab shack a C Street. I've my own yelling about tuna fishing and so on, but will pause because this is
not about that.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 08:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
That dinner menu makes my mouth water. And, by NY standards, the prices aren't bad at all. Reasonable, in fact.
blatham

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 07:00 am
If it doesn't arrive on hoof or wing, it isn't legitimate. The slither creatures seem from another very disagreeable planet. I've had to leave restaurants where people are being served calimari. We'll get some pictures in here later if I can remember how to do that which isn't likely. If not, I'll just describe them. Whatever this bug is I've got, it's unpleasant. Very difficult to type when your keyboard is lathered with snot.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 07:15 am
@Lustig Andrei,
It is a nice place, and, given that it's on the Upper East Side in the Forties, very reasonable. You can't go to a white tablecloth restaurant and expect to have a meal and a couple of drinks for less than $40.00.

I'm going to Le Midi today for brunch (it's down on 13th Street near Union Square), if I can stop at two Bloody Marys, I should be okay with $30.00 including the tip.

BTW: the movie group I've been going out with uses an interesting method for dividing up a bill. Each person takes their total untaxed amount and multiples it by .27 , adds that amount to the untaxed amount to get their total share amount. (tax here is 8.875%). Makes it very easy, although it wouldn't have worked for the Meet-up group two nights ago. Who could tell how much pizza to charge yourself?

Joe(I had three bites of the pasta, okay, six...and most of the Prosciutto, ...)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 07:19 am
@blatham,
Take your time, brother, I figure I first got this bug in NOVEMBER, fought it odd through Thanksgiving (American) and then got it AGAIN about three weeks ago.
Still have a little frog in my throat.
You Canadians are odd. Shelley lives in Calgary, near the home of some of the finest beef anywhere,,,,,her favorite food?
Salmon.

Joe(I eat everything except for Jello)Nation
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 09:03 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

If it doesn't arrive on hoof or wing, it isn't legitimate. The slither creatures seem from another very disagreeable planet. I've had to leave restaurants where people are being served calimari. We'll get some pictures in here later if I can remember how to do that which isn't likely. If not, I'll just describe them. Whatever this bug is I've got, it's unpleasant. Very difficult to type when your keyboard is lathered with snot.

Now I am especially happy I did not ask if we could order the calamari...which probably were spectacular there. I did consider it!

Folks: Bernie also thinks anything green is unfit to eat!

But I love the guy...even if he had to be asked to remove his hat while we were in St. Patrick's Cathedral.