What do you think about politically correct equivalents of some terms which mispresent term's meanin

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:55 am
What do you think about politically correct equivalents of some terms which mispresent their meaning. For example, third world countries (term) - emerging nations (equivalent).
We can't say that theese nations are emerging, because they had been existed for a very long time. What do you think about such aquivalents? Express your opinion
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:56 am
@Ekaterina,
Do you understand what emerging means?
Ekaterina

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 11:00 am
@ehBeth,
I mean emerging as smth which appears
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 11:40 am
@Ekaterina,
Are you an EFL student? it seems you have difficulty understanding English.

Emerging markets has a very specific meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerging_markets
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 11:43 am
@Ekaterina,
Emerging nation is not a generally used term for anything.

Emerging market is the correct terminology and is not equivalent to third world country. Third world country has a political, not economic, meaning.
Ekaterina

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 12:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for your explanation. I won't do such mistakes again
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 12:27 pm
@Ekaterina,
Ekaterina wrote:
I won't do such mistakes again

*make*

I won't make such mistakes again.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 01:47 pm
I think "developing countries" is the term you're looking for.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 02:02 pm
@Ekaterina,
Ekaterina wrote:

What do you think about politically correct equivalents of some terms which mispresent [sic] their meaning. For example, third world countries (term) - emerging nations (equivalent).
We can't say that theese nations are emerging, because they had been existed for a very long time. What do you think about such aquivalents [sic]? Express your opinion

You really are confused. Emerging nations is a recognized term of geopolitical terminology. It's often placed with countries like Brazil and other growing economic powerhouses.

The label of "Third world" isn't a politically correct based phrase. It came about during the Cold War between the United States and the former Soviet Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World-systems_theory
The United States and its allies during the time belonged to the first world. Why? The creator of the system was American. His prerogative in determining the labels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Wallerstein

Second world parties were allied with the Soviet Union.

Any leftover countries not geopolitically aligned with the United States and the Soviet Union fell under the third world category. It just happened to follow that the richest countries and strongest military countries belonged to the first and second groups. The poorest countries ... well, you should figure where they laid.

If you're not going to choose sides, then don't complain when you fall through the proverbial geopolitical cracks.

The Second World group disappeared from the equation when the Soviet Union collapsed.

I for one believe we need to keep the third world category for economically, socially, and politically backwards countries like Yemen, North Korea, Pakistan, etc.... These countries are not emerging as they're not reforming their governments, economies, etc.... They're stagnant or worse, regressing to preMedieval societies.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 02:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Not all third world countries are indeed developing in any sense of the word. Far too many are regressing.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Not all third world countries are indeed developing in any sense of the word. Far too many are regressing.

Well, yeah I think the term implies the strive to progress, which I think all countries do, to their own criteria.

Certainly a distinction can be made within the term "developing countries" to further delineate "regresing countries."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:10 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
A country may be changed to a frontier market if it no longer meets the criteria for an emerging market, due to lack of growth.

^^ from the wikiP link I posted toward the top

there is a further link at wikiP to http://www.marketwatch.com/story/msci-downgrade-argentina-frontier-market-new-york

Quote:
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- MSCI Barra will downgrade Argentina to frontier market status from emerging market currently in its widely-used indexes because of the Latin American country's ongoing controls on capital flows.

The MSCI Argentina Index will be reclassified to the MSCI Frontier Markets Index from the MSCI Emerging Markets Index at the end of May this year, the index provider said in a statement on Wednesday.

Frontier markets are smaller, more undeveloped and riskier than emerging markets.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:33 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:
A country may be changed to a frontier market if it no longer meets the criteria for an emerging market, due to lack of growth.

^^ from the wikiP link I posted toward the top

there is a further link at wikiP to http://www.marketwatch.com/story/msci-downgrade-argentina-frontier-market-new-york

Quote:
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- MSCI Barra will downgrade Argentina to frontier market status from emerging market currently in its widely-used indexes because of the Latin American country's ongoing controls on capital flows.

The MSCI Argentina Index will be reclassified to the MSCI Frontier Markets Index from the MSCI Emerging Markets Index at the end of May this year, the index provider said in a statement on Wednesday.

Frontier markets are smaller, more undeveloped and riskier than emerging markets.

Thanks for that. "Frontier market" is a new one on me.

The term "emerging market" is much more economically oriented than the terms "developing nation" and especially "third world nation."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:35 am
@InfraBlue,
yes. the OP has conflated economic and geopolitical terms

0 Replies