The Perfect Hypocrite?

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:45 am
Producer condemns Hollywood films

The Mexican producer of the third Harry Potter film has called Hollywood movies worthless.

"Hollywood is a machine, 90% of whose product is garbage," said Alfonso Cuaron, the producer credited with the success of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Hollywood makes "the world's worst cinema," he told reporters.

Cuaron also rejected being labelled as part of Hollywood, after working on the third film based on the adventure books about the young magician Harry Potter written by British author JK Rowling.

"That distinction is as offensive and sad as saying that the (US) Drug Enforcement Administration certifies other countries for their cooperation against trafficking, when we are really talking about the number-one producer (of drugs) in the world," he said.

He went on to say that although there are some good things about Hollywood, it makes the worst cinema in the world.

And that "makes it a cultural crime to encourage Mexican filmmakers and those of other Latin America countries to produce films with the only goal of entering those markets.

"Why should one be proud of reaching Hollywood?" he asked.

He called on Latinos to support Latin American films.

"Enough of saying that Latin American films are not good," he said.

Cuaron took two films to the recent Cannes film festival: The Assassination of Richard Nixon and Cronicas (Chronicles) by Ecuadoran director Sebastian Cordero.

Cuaron came to prominence in 1991 with Solo Con tu Pareja (Only with Your Partner), then in 1995 with the Hollywood production A Little Princess, and in 2001 with the road movie Y tu Mama Tambien.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 852 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm
First of all, he doesn't call all Hollywood movies worthless -- the 10% that are pretty well conform to what you'd see on the respected film critics best list. There's a huge pool of mediocre films and really bad films and that's what I believe the director meant as worthless. His own films have received high critical acclaim and "A Little Princess" is a hit with the users over at IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113670/

Incidentally, the user ratings also refect a preponderance of mediocre and bad Hollywood films.

It is true that the majority of Hollywood ouput is for box office and it doesn't always work. If they miss the mark and the movie doesn't make a profit at the box office, well there's always cable and DVD to pull it back into profitability. Since the inception of Hollywood, studios have set aside a small portion of money to make more serious movies that have artistic merit in illuminating the human spirit.

Most of the are meant for disposable entertainment aimed at those that want to go on a mindless joyride and return to eat dinner.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
I am a connoisseur of bad films. A film must be particularly bad to be enjoyed for its badness. John Wayne made some especially bad films which we all enjoy to this day. Just because a film is bad doesn't make it bad!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
BTW, the consensus of the cream-of-the-crop film critics give good marks to the new Harry Potter and "A Little Princess" for not being like the typical Hollywood movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:24 pm
Hi, NickFun -- I also have my guilty pleasures in movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
There's also a glaring error in the report making the journalism shine out as dubious:

Cuaron is not the producer of the new Harry Potter, he is the director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304141/
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
Inaccuracies and anti-American slant are not surprising since the source of the article is Aljazeera.

edited for spelling.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:49 pm
True and I haven't seen this elsewhere. Cuaron wouldn't be a hypocrite until he starts making action potboilers starring Ahnold (who, incidentally, hasn't made had a profitable box office since a decade ago with "True Lies.")
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:37 pm
By the way, Mcg, what happened to the picture of you with the bandaged cranium? I almost didn't recgnize you!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
He applied a Reagan Band-Aid.
0 Replies