Playing hookie from work

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:23 am
It's hot. It's humid. It's the first really steamy day of the summer, and for that reason, I have declared it "No-Stress Wednesday". My first duty on No-Stress Wednesday was to call in sick to work, and sleep until noon. Other than that, my day is wide open. How do you use your "sick" days? Do you think it's wrong to play hookie from work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 27,518 • Replies: 22
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
I think I'm going to find a shady spot in the park and read for a few hours. Yeah, that sounds nice.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:25 am
how can it be wrong when it feels so right!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:55 pm
Use sunscreen and you'll be fine. Do you have a problem @ work if you show up with a George Hamilton-style tan after having told them you're at death's door?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:53 pm
I do it - AND feel guilty.

Man, that's dumb.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:55 pm
One of the advantages of working for yourself is being able to regulate your own schedule. I take days off regularly. Of course, I work overtime on other days to make up for it, but it's worth it.

I have a personal top ten list of excuses for ditching work. Anybody want to hear them?
(I'll go look 'em up...)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:00 pm
Yeah, do share them, Letty!

I never miss work, unless I earnestly am ill-- I can't Not concentrate when I'm sick; and feeling that I have work to catch up on really stresses me out.. I like everything to be done one day, to be done that day, etc.

0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:36 pm
kicky, that's not playing hooky, it's called a "mental health" day.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:12 pm
What is "Sick day?"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:26 pm
Roger took my line.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:36 pm
I got tired over the years of what I learned to consider arbitrary deadlines. Ones that made folks do a series of overnighters to meet a deadline that was only of a kind of pacing importance. Having come from a world of real stat tests in a hospital lab, I tried and did meet deadlines for years in my later design field, but now I can set the schedules, at least most of the time. Having control can be abused with lazy behavior, but mostly one still wants to get work out the door, if only to get paid, but also to perform in a timely fashion. What used to gnaw my elbows was the renewable crisis timing of inappropriate hurry ups.

Now having worked for myself for almost twenty years, with or without a business partner, I have much more serenity about my work week, not feeling like I am trapped in someone's building boxed set.

And yeah, sometimes one of us just goes off shopping, or walking the dog(s). Last week, we closed the place and went down the street to a bar and watched the Belmont race..
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:46 pm
i do it all the time; but i don't feel 'guilty' when i do it (as a matter of fact i never, ever feel guilty, about anything!), i feel poorer, because i work for myself.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:45 am
I use to go to work when I was sick and take my sick days when I was feeling great :-D
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:57 am
dlowan wrote:
I do it - AND feel guilty.

Man, that's dumb.

Me too. Though I haven't done it in a while. I had 10 days off with a broken toe a couple of months ago, so I don't think I'll be able to take a stress free day for a while.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:59 am
my place has a policy about taking sick days: you have to be sick, or have a doctor or dentist appt; you're not allowed to use sick time for a "mental health" day (you have to use vacation time).
i try to take at least one day off a month -- sometimes i'm "sick", sometimes i use vac time...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
My Top Ten Get-Away-For-A-Day Excuses
(This is how I survive.)

10. That Communication Device Isn't Working
9. 102-degree fever: Doctor's Orders
8. On Location for Photo Shoot
7. Brainstorming Time Required
6. Checking Out Your Competition
5. Sick Child
4. Deadline for Another Client
3. Holed Up Writing
2. Out-of-Town Consulting

and, my number one excuse...

1. Power Outage
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:45 pm
My alarm clock didn't go off and by the time I woke up, it was the end of the work day, lol!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:30 pm
I love it, Montana! Too bad it wouldn't fly with clients. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:47 pm
"The building site plan was incorrect."

This is often a safe bet.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:00 pm
But, would they then expect to see you on site? Or expect to see a new set of drawings?

I have an architect friend who uses a similar excuse. He calls up the general contractor and asks for written verification that a long list of items has been built/installed EXACTLY to specs. Then he takes the rest of the day off. Claims he was waiting on the g.c.
0 Replies