BEARERS OF THE TRUTH....

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:54 pm
truth
TEx-Star, a refreshing post. But not all people who speak are ALWAYS unknowing.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 10:30 am
Perhaps we should say; the "truth' is not nearly as important as what you "do" with (or about) it!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 10:57 am
BGW, that is a question unto itself. Reminds me of ... does a falling tree make a sound if no one is in the forest??? If we do not mean to apply our insight, how meaningful is it to discuss the truth?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:03 pm
History
Unfortunately Maple;

Our track record on this planet is devastated by those who were only following their understanding of "the" truth!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:24 pm
BGW, I agree with you 100 percent. It's not so much what each individual interprets to be "truth," but how that individual interacts with all other humans on this planet. After all, most living homo sapiens believe in some religion they believe to be the "truth," but are in fact guilty of many sins toward their fellow man. The real truth lies in how that individual lives in human society, not what they believe. c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:02 pm
truth
I' m going to be away for about 4 days, just enough time to think about these recent posts.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:26 pm
JLN, that is for sure.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:21 pm
Re: BEARERS OF THE TRUTH....
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:39 pm
hello
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:36 pm
But, unfortunately, truth can be bent.............. :sad:

Welcome to A2K paulaj. Have fun and many happy journeys in your walks through life Laughing
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:35 pm
There is only one objective truth that I know for sure.......that everyone of us will die......and that is the one truth that does not depend on anyone's
observation .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:40 pm
truth
Alidimr, I strongly believe (with subjective certainty) it is a truth that all men are mortal. But it is not that it can be LOGICALLY known with objective certainty since a negative cannot be proven empirically. We cannot say that there are no immortal men because we have not examined and tested by killing everyone. Who knows if some immortal is hiding underground somewhere on this planet? I feel quite certain such people do not exist, but that's only a feeling. Actually it may be said that we know men are mortal because of our general knowledge of human biology. An immortal would contradict everything we know in that regard. Don't mind me; I'm babbling.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:29 am
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
............Don't mind me; I'm babbling.

you certainly are; very uncharacteristic!

it is important to remember that mortality is an individual phenomina; biology is a self sustaining process (even in that, at the same time it is a sadly 'paracitic' one) whereas each itteration of a sentient being is usually suceeded by a 'reissue' of that being, combined with the genetic input of another, and this continues.... ad infinitum. What dies is one 'attempt' so to speak, to be tried again, and again, and again; hopefully approaching the time when as a 'being' one of us will 'get it right'!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:17 pm
truth
It was late, and I was very sleepy. What's your excuse? Very Happy
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:38 pm
Just about every intelligent philosopher has claimed that: There is no reality, there is only the perception of reality.
And they've formulized it in different ways.
Everyone who thinks(REALLY thinks) about it agrees.

BUT (I'm just trying to be refreshing here, I don't even agree on it, but then again, one cannot be certain of anything, now can one? Wink

What if, the only reason we agree with this assumption is because we're human and therefor would be unable to ever conceive the concept of an truth beyond our conventional perception.

A truth, perhaps if it can be registered by a form of life, only by life which is eg. a pure form of energy. I give this example to stretch your mind a little. It doesn't matter what kind of lifeform would/could understand the truth.

The reason I give this spin to the discussion is because it's selflimiting of you all(imo) to refer to social bands. There are things we could all easily agree on without social ties.

Just because we are incapable to agree on one, and even on the fact that there is one; does NOT imply that there isn't one.

Last Goth says it well:
Truth is a wiggly item. Fact is irrefutable, but opinion based on 'our truths' wiggles.

Facts are often refuted, the facts don't really change, but our perception of them does. Even time and space according to Einstein are simply our current means of assessing the universe, today as we know it. And by no means really exist.

A friend of mine illustrates my point in another way. He in no way believes in a higher power, as a matter a fact, the other day he read in the newspaper(yet, I have been given no actuall resource of official confirmation anywhere) that the idea of God or a higher power is just a part of your brain that is active/inactive. And that scientists have actually found this part. The reason I bring this up is because he does (of course) not believe in a higher power, just a supreme law of nature(universal nature). BUT (omg, I'm actually going to make my point) that we will never know this law, we will always redefine it, specify it and at no point in our life, no point in time(as far as time exists) could anyone ever know it. This however implies that it DOES exist.

I believe I have made my point rather repetitively.
Now, does anybody understand or agree with me on this? :-)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:39 pm
truth
So there is no reality, as everyone who REALLY thinks agrees? Hmmm. How do they define this reality that doesn't exist? Anyway, thanks for consescending to stretch our minds. Maybe you don't appreciate how that sounds in English to culturally democratic Americans. But it does go with your name, Rex (king). Nevertheless, welcome to A2K, Rex. I have no idea how my wording sounds in Belgium. I hope I am not sounding too offensive, too much like a touchy cowboy. Confused
0 Replies