Do you drink iced rather than hot in the winter?

Linkat

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 01:54 pm
I do and there are some people that make fun of me. There I am shivering and drinking my iced coffee in below zero temperatures. People say why not get a hot coffee - well I like my coffee iced. You drink water cold in the winter don't you? Do you heat up your water when it is cold? No then why not coffee?

There are others that do agree - are you hardy enough?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/01/08/from-our-ice-cold-hands-bostonians-still-drink-dunkin-iced-coffee-sub-zero-temps/R46usCDnWeRihAPmDRdajO/story.html?p1=Topofpage:Carousel_sub_headline
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 4,626 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed

ehBeth

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 01:58 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
You drink water cold in the winter don't you?

no

hot/warm with lemon
Linkat

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
well you are weird
Butrflynet

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:24 pm
@Linkat,
Mom insists the heat be set at 80+ so there is no winter here. People think I am crazy for running around in shorts and tank tops when it is 30 degrees outside until I tell them the temperature in the house.

I am sweating constantly and drink a lot of ice water and iced teas under the ceiling fans to cool off.
ehBeth

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
hamburgboy is having a similar problem at the retirement home he is living in

he has to keep a window open in his apartment in the winter (til it's seriously frigid out) and often wears his shorts in there - while other seniors complain that the building is too cold
Linkat

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 03:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
damn - we have issues because of the deep cold - toliets won't flush - then I poured water down one to flush it. It flushed. Then I just walked by the bathroom and the toliet flushed with no one inside it -- the bathroom that is not the toliet.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 03:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
My Mum used to hermetically seal her living room and turn the gas fire on full. I'd turn up and feel seriously ill within minutes.

I'm positive she had London Blitz air still circulating round in there.

I hate heat in confined spaces. My better half always wears a sheepskin jacket or similar when in the car with me, as I always always have the air conditioning on just above freezing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
That means he still has good circulation in his veins. Good for him.

I'm most comfortable at night when it is about 60 to 65 degrees in the room. To obtain that, I sleep with the window open a crack, a ceiling fan going and a floor fan directing the cold air from the window over me. Have it on a timer so it shuts off an hour or two after I turn it on.
Linkat

Fri 9 Jan, 2015 07:39 am
@Butrflynet,
So I take it you are an iced drinker rather than hot.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 9 Jan, 2015 07:50 am

i love me some iced cold drinks all year 'round.

i've never been a coffee drinker, but i will have some hot water or tea if I'm battling a cold-induced sore throat...
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 10:04 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

well you are weird

Nope. Canadian. I drink my tea hot even in warm weather. Once in snowstorm in northern Texas I ordered tea and got iced tea. Asked for hot tea and got iced tea without the ice.......
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
You are weird, Likat! Who would put ice in coffee? Even in the summer I would never do that .... dto. for tea.

Then again, I always ask everywhere: "Is it hot in here, or just me?"
People get icicles on their noses in my car Embarrassed
ehBeth

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 01:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
ha! people always ask for blankets to wrap around themselves when they come to visit

this is one of the only winters I've turned the ceiling fan off in the bedroom.
ossobuco

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 01:06 pm
I'm my own kind of weird. I like icy drinks, including ice in water, tea, coffee, etc. and very hot drinks, including hot milk, hot tea, hot coffee. No fan of lukewarm, especially coffee, urrrrgh.
Linkat

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
I am weird but not because of my coffee drinking.
0 Replies

Linkat

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd agree with that .. hot things should be very hot and cold things should be very cold ... no in between. On the rare occasion I have hot coffe, tea or chocolate ... it must be very hot.
Lordyaswas

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:40 pm
@ehBeth,
"this is one of the only winters I've turned the ceiling fan off in the bedroom."

THAT'S what the problem is!

Could you move the blades round slighly, as one is in the way of my concealed ceiling cam.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:23 pm
@Linkat,
Got to agree here.

On beer, in hot hot summer I like a cold mexican beer, and in very cold fall, I might like, if I liked beer, a dark brew of some sort. Or, put it in stew..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:37 pm
I don't know anything about statistics re who is suffering in a house with a thermostat. I just know about many unhappy situations.

Not to pile on, my friends who are always too hot seem to gather as overweight.

And, essentially vice versa, the thin, from self sculpturing or just because, can be chilly and worse.

There is an emotional aspect too. I'm now middle.
Every so often I whale the dial up to 75. Which is - watch your money leap away.

0 Replies

FBM

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:43 pm
I never encountered iced/chilled coffee before coming to Korea. Nor canned. The first time someone handed me a can of cold coffee, I wondered what I'd done to offend him to that extent. For me, it's hot coffee year round. It warms you in the winter, and in the summer, well, there's even a saying in Korea "이열치열" (trans: fight fire with fire). http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/goodmorning.gif
0 Replies