Gravitational relativity ... Bring me some clarity

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 03:43 pm
First, please exuse my ignorance of this. My question is; if we stand on the rotating earth we are not dispatched by centrifugal force because the mass creates a gravity field greater that the rotational force, right? But if you stood on the surface of an satori of and it too is spinning you would be on the surface still because it has enough mass to make it's own gravity... But if you rode the spinning asteroid to earth eventually the centrifugal force would become greater than the gravity of the asteroid and would be thrown off... Why is this and how does the whole idea break down? Thank you for any input on helping me understand this better!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 499 • Replies: 2
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 10:25 pm
@Jamiethatguy007,
I don't understand the question.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 10:42 pm
@Jamiethatguy007,
Quote:
But if you rode the spinning asteroid to earth eventually the centrifugal force would become greater than the gravity of the asteroid and would be thrown off...

Huh? Why? If you weren't thrown off the asteroid in micro-gravity, you wouldn't be thrown off just because you entered the Earth's gravitational field. You and the asteroid would either be pulled into orbit, enter the atmosphere or be ejected, depending on the velocity (speed + direction) you approaced. Those are about the only options I can think of off the top of my head.
0 Replies