Electronic cigarettes: Help or hazard?

Sat 3 Jan, 2015 12:56 pm
Kicking the cigarette habit is one of the best things that smokers can do for themselves. Nicotine replacement products, prescription medications, and counseling can all help. What about the newest tobacco substitute, the electronic cigarette? Despite the appeal of so-called e-cigarettes, we don’t know enough about their safety or effectiveness to give them the green light.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,419 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Sat 3 Jan, 2015 03:53 pm
@ajmalkhan,
So, a lack of evidence becomes evidence. We know a great deal about the effects of combustible cigarettes, don't we?
farmerman

Sat 3 Jan, 2015 08:00 pm
@roger,
breathing coal dust was suspected to be a problem just bcause it involved inspirating some teeny particles when breathing should involve mostly air for best results.
SO, Im thinking that lung tissue is kinda delicate to be using for absorbing chemicals into the blood stream.
I don't know, Im never quite sure about whats best for breathing and what should be avoided. So,dont pay any attention to me. I wear respiration masks when Im in my woodshop grinding away and when Im painting
roger

Sat 3 Jan, 2015 08:19 pm
@farmerman,
I have a respirator for some operations, too. Maple can be as nasty as anything, but I haven't done any of that stuff in a few years.

To my mind, it isn't about complete safety. It is about harm reduction compared to burning tobacco. If you know it isn't, I'm always ready to listen.
farmerman

Sat 3 Jan, 2015 08:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
It is about harm reduction compared to burning tobacco
its the least we can do. However, the blood barrier in lung tissue is kinda shallow, and sticking chemicals in there (especially nicotine when some really nasty environmental diseases are a common workplace sickness of tobacco growers and field hands. We have a lot of kids (AMISH) whose fathers grow tobacco as cash crops and every damn summer we see several of these local kids suffereing from chronic coughs and headaches and asthma (in some cases).
There are lots f ag publications re: nicotine intoxication and pneumono--"konioses" associated only with tobacco cultivation. (Tobacco is very much a "hnds on" crop where the kids cultivate, pick bugs and cut off and bag and dispose mildewed leaves ALL BY HAND

roger

Sun 4 Jan, 2015 01:05 am
@farmerman,
I'm kind of disgruntled with the entire tobacco industry, myself. The nicotine from the electronic cigarettes are poorly adsorbed by the lungs, due to the composition of the base liquids. Most, though not all, occurs through the mucus membranes of the mouth, nose and sinuses.

If you're looking at problems, they are most likely to be in the flavorings. Buttery, creamy, and many sweet flavors work because they contain diacetyl. As the makers became aware of this, they substituted several other diketones. They may be just as bad.
0 Replies