Unexplained Bruising on Inner Bicep with No Injury Or pain

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 10:47 pm
i am 27 years old,170LBS and in fairly good shape.i do smoke but only 1 or 2 cigarettes a day and have no medical problems.the other day when i went to work (before i even started working) i noticed a dark baseball sized bruise on the inside of my left bicep.i havent done anything to hurt myself or anything.it just appeared.it didnt hurt at all.and now.but within the last 3 days it has gotten alittle tender but still dosent hurt enough to bother me.but now it has gotten bigger and darker and has spread down around my elbow and on the bottem of my bicep and dosent seem to be getting lighter at all.it just keeps spreading little by little.im starting to get worried that it might be a blood clot and that there is something really wrong.any idea of why and what it could be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 32,549 • Replies: 14
No top replies

FBM

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 10:49 pm
@mggmike87,
You might consider getting a platelet count. Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura is a possibility. One of the first signs is unexplained bruising.
mggmike87

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 10:51 pm
@FBM,
is that dangerous if thats wat is wrong?
FBM

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 11:03 pm
@mggmike87,
It's not particularly dangerous unless it's unusually severe. It's an autoimmune disease in which your body thinks its own platelets are foreign and orders your spleen to remove them. That means that whenever you get a cut or a bump, you bleed longer than other people. It could be dangerous if you got a blow to the head and had intracranial bleeding, though. Most cases go undiagnosed until the patient has an accident and bleeds more than average. Then the doctor would check the platelet count. A platelet count isn't expensive and would be something to request if you notice a chronic problem with bruising easily.
mggmike87

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 11:33 pm
@FBM,
is there anyway i can post a pic on here? if not can u give me ur email so i can send a pic of my arm to u.cuz im kinda worried that its a blood clot but dont wanna go to ER unless its sumthing serious
engineer

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 11:56 pm
@mggmike87,
Read this article on unexplained bruises.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bruises-on-arms-for-no-reason.html
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 12:16 am
@mggmike87,
mggmike87 wrote:

is there anyway i can post a pic on here? if not can u give me ur email so i can send a pic of my arm to u.cuz im kinda worried that its a blood clot but dont wanna go to ER unless its sumthing serious

One way to post pictures here is to start a Photobucket account, upload pics there, then copy and paste the photo's url here.

However, a bruise caused by ITP will look just like any other bruise, so there's no real point in posting a photo of it. You need not go to an ER, as it's not an emergency situation. Just stop by a local GP when you have the time, explain the bruise and ask for a platelet count.

A bruise is a superficial blood clot. The only blood clots you need to worry about are deep ones (deep vein thrombosis). If you have ITP, then you're actually in less danger of that because your blood isn't clotting enough, rather than too much.
mggmike87

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 02:27 am
@FBM,
ya that makes sense.the only reason i say the ER is cuz i dont have insurance and cant afford a dr visit.so do u think i should wait a few weeks to see if it goes away? what if it starts hurting? now that i think of it, i have been getting alot of minor headaches since the bruise popped up.could they be connected at all? normally a bruise would bother me.but the only thing that is freaking me out is that it keeps spreading...not up my arm but down.if my arm starts hurting real bad i should prolly go get checked out? THANK U FOR HELPING ME OUT.i have been all over the internet and the only thing everyone has said is that it may be a clot.ur the first to say something different.
FBM

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 02:48 am
@mggmike87,
No problem. I hope I said something helpful. Mind you, I'm not guaranteeing that it's ITP. That's the first thing I think of when unexplained bruising comes up because I have it. There are any number of other possibilities. ITP would not be related to headaches, btw.

If it were me and I didn't have health insurance and couldn't afford a visit to a doctor, I'd look around for a free clinic. If there wasn't one, I'd wait and see if other unexplained bruises appeared. If they did, I'd keep notes about symptoms and the dates they appeared. Then I'd scrape together enough cash for a doctor's visit. Most doctors are sensitive to patients' financial limitations and won't order unnecessary tests, in my experience. All you have to do is be up front with them about it from the beginning.

ITP isn't something that you're going to drop dead from all of a sudden, so don't worry about that. People typically go undiagnosed for years. Also, bruises spread out as they dissipate, and are affected by gravity, so for it to be spreading downwards is normal. If you feel a lot of pain or numbness, I'd say just bite the bullet and go see a doctor. They'll set you up on a payment plan if you don't have the ready cash.

One last thing: Are you in the US? If so, I thought the Affordable Care Act would make it possible for anyone to have affordable health insurance. Have you looked into it?
mggmike87

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 03:01 am
@FBM,
yes i live in the US.but the affordable care act is a bunch of crap. its like half of what any other insurance would cost but what they dont understand is... how can POOR people affor insurance when we cant even afford to pay our rent and keep a full pantry..but i will look into a free clinic though.im gonna give it some time but if it hasent started going away within a month.then ill go.u have helped alot. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
FBM

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 03:07 am
@mggmike87,
I hear ya. Medical bills made me file bankruptcy once. The American system is fucked. Anyway, best of luck to you. Hope it turns out to be nothing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 11:51 am
@FBM,
I would go to a doctor about the bruise soon.
We had a colleague with ITP and it was serious - though in this case we at a2k don't know that is what is going on.

If you live near a university medical center and it is ITP, then I'd consider connecting with their hematology department (at least to ask who to confer with).

I agree re the free clinic as a start.
My university clinics take medicare (I know you're not of age for that) and medicaid, and if you don't have insurance or medicaid, I have read that their finance office can work out plans.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 04:07 pm
@mggmike87,
mggmike87 wrote:

yes i live in the US.but the affordable care act is a bunch of crap. its like half of what any other insurance would cost but what they dont understand is... how can POOR people affor insurance when we cant even afford to pay our rent and keep a full pantry..but i will look into a free clinic though.im gonna give it some time but if it hasent started going away within a month.then ill go.u have helped alot. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

If this is truly your situation, go to the healthcare.gov website and fill out the application for your state. If that is truly your financial situation then you probably qualify for partial, if not full, supplemental help with paying for insurance coverage or being covered by your state's Medicaid insurance.

Dont assume you know all about it or that you won't qualify for assistance. You don't and you probably will.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 06:48 pm
@mggmike87,
Quote:
.i havent done anything to hurt myself or anything.it just appeared.it didnt hurt at all.and now.but within the last 3 days it has gotten alittle tender but still dosent hurt enough to bother me.but now it has gotten bigger and darker and has spread down around my elbow and on the bottem of my bicep and dosent seem to be getting lighter at all.it just keeps spreading little by little.im starting to get worried that it might be a blood clot and that there is something really wrong.any idea of why and what it could be?

You better check "what the reason is..."

http://www.wisegeekhealth.com/what-causes-bruising-for-no-reason.htm
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 07:07 pm
@mggmike87,
Are you in college? Live in a dorm?
0 Replies