Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 01:36 pm
I realize you two don't consider editing routines very important since most of us type very slowly and carefully, but there are enough of the Clawing Clod (me) that we hope you will begin hiring edit-coding compilers having IQ's exceeding 43. Though not many of us, the time we'd save far exceeds ip[so facto any help you're currently providing

Typical examples: "Ip[so" isd a victim of one's little finger while "isd" is a misspelling of "is," whichas at least a few of you must be aware isd one of our most common words used most often.

Yes I know many if not most of you cn't touch-type but ask Mac or Apple himself, the top fella in your crew, hde will explain how most misps occur; while "cn't" is a misp of "can't" and "hde" of "he"

Oh yes, a "misspelling" is a word spelled wrong

For the bener=fit of any such who are even capable of reading this posting "is" means "be's", as in "The Universe is big."

[Some may object to the "is" def but I'm sure the typical ed prog wouldn't understand "abides," while I assure you, except for this one all the "isd" 's were entirely accidental, not me trying to make a point]

And I know how you feel about weak fingers but (any of you exceeding 82) "whichas" isd also a misp of "which has"

Oh in "bener=fit" above the equal sign doesn't belong. While it's true that four+five=nine, you'll have to learn the essential diff. That means one most of us care about

And dammit incidentally, why do you reduce the size of the window every time I edit. All of your wierd omissions and requirements in the past 17 years have cost me--by actual count--3,742 wasted hours making corrections. Please please please

Incidentally = by the way, Omissions = things left out, while requirements = things we need. Eds, you gotta forgive an old guy

Oh, and with Google: At its input some reason you've entirely withdrawn [that means taken out] suggested spellings so now we have to make 'em manually [poking at keyboard]. Why, why why

Would please other inept typists such as I kindly chime in

contrex

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 01:52 pm
It's posts like this that make me glad I have used Windows since 1993, and never, ever had an Apple product. My phone is Android. Thanks for conforming my long held suspicions.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:00 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Thanks for conforming ...
Thank you Con in return. However copying an entire posting to and from Word, a sys that's been suggested before, is very time consuming, especially where repeated corrections are required

…unless you're in on a secret of which us old fellas are unaware

Quote:
….long held suspicions
Which are….

Oh incidentally by the way I use "Mac" and "Apple" loosely meaning all the PC digital custodians
contrex

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:10 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Oh incidentally by the way I use "Mac" and "Apple" loosely meaning all the PC digital custodians

That's a bit like saying "Catholics" when you mean "all religious people". You really shouldn't do that; in the world there is a huge divide. On the one side are normal folks who use computers to get things done, phones to call people or surf the web, and mp3 players to listen to music or whatever. On the other side of that divide are the "fanbois", that is, jerkwads who think that having a product with a fruit silhouette on it that cost twice as much somehow makes them special, clever and sexy.
contrex

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:14 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Thanks for conforming ...

I've done it again (typed "conforming" when I meant "confirming")!

I don't know about other browsers, but Firefox has a spell checker that works when I make forum posts. It underlines words in red zigzag and if you right click the word it offers you a suggested correction.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:26 pm
@dalehileman,
Why don't you send an actual letter to Apple. Doesn't Apple have a customer feedback link somewhere? They must.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:40 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
You really shouldn't do that
Yea Con in some quarters I'm considered a really bad person

Quote:
"fanbois", that is, jerkwads
Thanks again Con, not everyday….

Incidentally OT but I can hardly believe there could be a site called "wordnik" that does give examples of the word's use but won't give a def

https://www.wordnik.com/words/Fanbois

Quote:
a product with a fruit silhouette on it that cost twice as much somehow makes them special, clever and sexy.

Whaddya mean sexy
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:43 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Firefox has a spell checker that works when I make forum posts
Yes thanks once more Con, I've heard of that but had rejected it because I couldn't find a way to make it work in whatever forum or site I use. Still I'll look into it once more with the next visit of my genius sons
dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:47 pm
@rosborne979,
Yea Ros indeed they must. But a search of that kind usually takes more time than I'm willing to spare, while yardwork calls. Besides I have this crazy theory…..
rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:55 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Besides I have this crazy theory…..

You have a crazy theory? No. It can't be true. Wink

Here's a link you can use for feedback to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

I don't know if anyone there will give a crap or not, but I'm pretty sure nobody here at A2K really gives a crap, so it probably can't be any worse.
contrex

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:02 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
Firefox has a spell checker that works when I make forum posts
Yes thanks once more Con, I've heard of that but had rejected it because I couldn't find a way to make it work in whatever forum or site I use.

It works for me on A2K
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:06 pm
@rosborne979,

http://i57.tinypic.com/x4nhwg.png
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:06 pm
@rosborne979,
Thank you again Ros but just one q: If I wanted to access this link for all my corrections would I have to fetch it then click on it every time I needed it, or is there a way to make it available permanently, eg at the top of the screen at all times

…understanding of course that no matter what I was doing, where I am, what forum I'm posting, becoming available with no other interruptions I could make repeated corrections without exiting anything; like when I do Edit, Transformations, Capitalize, etc etc

But thanks again, I'll try it anyhow

Edited to remark I couldn't do so because they ask all kinds of q's I can't answer. Will try again with visit from my boys
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Doesn't Apple have a customer feedback link somewhere?
Doubtless Ros dozens if not hundreds depending upon exactly what it is you're looking for. Having attempted wasted hours at this sort of thing, I assure you hafta know exactly which link is pertinent, much less one that might field the power to make any suggested improvements you might have in mind
dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:21 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
It works for me on A2K
Thanks Con. However does it work per my posting #….611 above; or as I found trying to do this using Word, is it necessary to be continually switching back and forth between sites for each correction

Interesting to note at this point that many times when I have breached the editing problem another approach has been suggested, which proves just fine where one spends a long time at a single window, then making all corrections at once. But this approach proves much slower making 'em sporadically, always required excessive keystrokes

Still thanks again, and I'll have my boys ensconce me to try it out. By the way have you tried it out using some of the errors in OP above
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:24 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Doubtless Ros dozens if not hundreds depending upon exactly what it is you're looking for. Having attempted wasted hours at this sort of thing, I assure you hafta know exactly which link is pertinent, much less one that might field the power to make any suggested improvements you might have in mind

You seem to put a lot more effort into complaining about problems than trying to actually fix them. Are you sure you don't just enjoy the complaining. Maybe fixing the problem isn't what you really want.
parados

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 03:45 pm
@dalehileman,
http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/28/turn-off-auto-correct-in-mac-os-x-lion/

If you want a computer to read your mind then stop buying existing computers. Computers can only guess as to which mistakes you are making. They can't know that isd isn't supposed to be ids or osd or lsd or owe because they can't read your mind. How is the computer supposed to know you are hitting 2 keys instead of having your fingers on the wrong row or typing letters in the wrong order?

But since the current computer can't read your mind, use the handy auto correct feature to tell the Mac what to replace your most common errors with. Of course, when you do that you encourage your typing skills to only get worse meaning more errors.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:49 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Computers can only guess

For "isd" Mac/Apple guesses Sid, ids, idd, and ixd. So Par what level of IQ is required to guess at "is"

Quote:
How is the computer supposed to know you are hitting 2 keys
By an intelligent guess

Quote:
use the handy auto correct feature to tell the Mac what to replace your most common errors with
Don't want or need auto correction, just intelligent guesses
dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
You seem to put a lot more effort into complaining about problems than trying to actually fix them
Alas, Yea Ros. Always hoping for responses that will save me time by providing additional insight

But yes, no, I am a lazy sort, can't defend myself
parados

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 09:39 am
@dalehileman,
The computer is guessing you are capable of hitting one key at a time. Forgive it for thinking you are more capable than you are. Most intelligent people can type without blundering about hitting multiple keys.

Why do you need an intelligent guess? Are you incapable of figuring out what you meant? You don't want the computer to correct your typing mistakes but you want the computer to figure out you meant "is" when you typed "isd". Can't you figure that out yourself?
0 Replies