Is there a now?

Frank Apisa

Sun 18 Jan, 2015 10:04 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:
So...with the expected attempted evasion nonsense out of the way...

...DO YOU?

Frank,

You need to recognize that you voluntarily have decided to live in your own world where you have no idea if you yourself are real.

The definition of reality applies to several meanings, and as a general concept you can obtained it from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality

Reality is the conjectured state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined.[1] In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. A still more broad definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.

As you noticed it, it is a common understanding that reality in general terms can include even what "it has been", for example, it is a reality that the US Independence day was in July 4, 1776."

I have explained you the specific definition of physical reality.

"Now" is a specific physical reality, because is the current status and location of everything in the universe.

"Now" becomes a fact.

You seem to be having a difficult time actually answering this question, Carlos.

I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence. Do you?

You might want to re-read that definition up above. It should help you to understand the question...and help you come up with an answer...rather than an attempted evasion.
carloslebaron

Sun 18 Jan, 2015 10:13 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Facts DO need explanation in the sense that an item of experience sometimes needs to be evaluated regarding its alleged facticity. Someone has said that facts are little theories.

When I insist saying that facts are not in need of explanation is because we can live without it.

The existence of water in our planet is a fact

You don't need to explain the origin of water to verify its existence in this world. You can live in this world drinking water without having the explanation of its origin, causes of existence, and so forth.

On the other hand, you are free to look for an answer of how water came to be in the universe.

The same as well, we perceive the entire universe in its present simultaneously with our present, and this is a fact.

How is this possible? Who knows. It debunks the whole former knowledge about perception of the universe, because this perception is a fact.

It is a fact, because it can be proved and it wont fail.

Between THE PERCEPTIONAL LAW and the several theories saying that we perceive the "past images" of far away planets and stars, the law rules over the theories.

And about the saying you have mentioned. A theory is an attempt to explain something, and a fact won't explain anything, a fact just "is".
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Sun 18 Jan, 2015 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You seem to be having a difficult time actually answering this question, Carlos.

You might want to re-read that definition up above. It should help you to understand the question...and help you come up with an answer...rather than an attempted evasion.

You wanted to know what reality is. I posted you the definition given in Wikipedia, plus I posted the specific paragraph, so you won't be confused looking for the specific answer.

I have no idea what the hell you want to know now.

Can't you read and understand the Wikipedia paragraph?

I posted the Wikipedia article's first paragraph because I agree with it.

Do you agree with what Wikipedia and I agree with?

If no, please give the explanation.
Frank Apisa

Sun 18 Jan, 2015 10:29 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:

You wanted to know what reality is.

At NO point have I ever asked what reality is...and if ever I did want to ask that question, I seriously doubt I would ask you.

What I actually did, rather than what you are pretending I did, was to make a statement:

Quote:
I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

I then asked a question:

Quote:
Do you?

I ASK AGAIN: Do you know the true nature of the REALITY of existence?

Banana Breath

Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:51 am
Here's an example of "now" in published genuine scientific writing extending over 5.5 Billion years. It appeared in Science Daily based on a report from the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. They describe catching radio signals "as they are happening" that come from a source 5.5 Billion light years away.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150119083254.htm

Quote:
"Extremely short, sharp flash of radio waves from unknown source in the universe, caught as it was happening
...Over the past few years, astronomers have observed a new phenomenon, a brief burst of radio waves, lasting only a few milliseconds. It was first seen by chance in 2007, when astronomers went through archival data from the Parkes Radio Telescope in Eastern Australia. Since then we have seen six more such bursts in the Parkes telescope's data and a seventh burst was found in the data from the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico. They were almost all discovered long after they had occurred, but then astronomers began to look specifically for them right as they happen.

A team of astronomers in Australia developed a technique to search for these 'Fast Radio Bursts', so they could look for the bursts in real time. The technique worked and now a group of astronomers, led by Emily Petroff (Swinburne University of Technology), have succeeded in observing the first 'live' burst with the Parkes telescope. The characteristics of the event indicated that the source of the burst was up to 5.5 billion light years from Earth"
carloslebaron

Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

And my answer still is the same: I know what reality is.

From here, your question is similar as to say, do you know the true nature of life? or, do you know the true nature of dreams? or, do you know the true nature of jokes?

Pure cheap philosophy, because the answer is just unknown.

And my point is that you don't need to know the nature of the reality of jokes in order to laugh when you hear one.

The same as well, your position is ridiculous when you pretend to have doubts that physical reality does exist, that you yourself probably are not "real" just because you never discovered the true nature of existence.

In order for you to validate your point, you must to show your argument, your evidence, your ideas, explaining why you think that you are not real.

In this case, when is about "now" and "the existing universe", you must explain why you think there is no "now" and why you think that you don't exist physically.

To say that "you don't know", and that "you have doubts", and come with questions to the unknown, your words are just dogs barking to the Moon.

carloslebaron

Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:54 am
@Banana Breath,
Quote:
"Extremely short, sharp flash of radio waves from unknown source in the universe, caught as it was happening
...Over the past few years, astronomers have observed a new phenomenon, a brief burst of radio waves, lasting only a few milliseconds. It was first seen by chance in 2007, when astronomers went through archival data from the Parkes Radio Telescope in Eastern Australia. Since then we have seen six more such bursts in the Parkes telescope's data and a seventh burst was found in the data from the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico. They were almost all discovered long after they had occurred, but then astronomers began to look specifically for them right as they happen.

A team of astronomers in Australia developed a technique to search for these 'Fast Radio Bursts', so they could look for the bursts in real time. The technique worked and now a group of astronomers, led by Emily Petroff (Swinburne University of Technology), have succeeded in observing the first 'live' burst with the Parkes telescope. The characteristics of the event indicated that the source of the burst was up to 5.5 billion light years from Earth"

Excellent example.

The perception of sporadic radio waves alone won't direct us to point the source.

The same as well, similar signals coming from a dead star, or a destroyed planet, or whatever that doesn't exist anymore, won't guide us to find its last location, and much less to perceive any image of the extinct source.

Right now, there is a spacecraft -sent in the 70's- that is assumed has crossed the solar system. Sporadic signals arrive from time to time. But, no one knows where the hell the spacecraft is located and what direction is taking.

The only way to detect its current status and location is by receiving continued signals from this source when existing simultaneously with us.

"Now" is an absolute.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:57 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:

And my answer still is the same: I know what reality is.

From here, your question is similar as to say, do you know the true nature of life? or, do you know the true nature of dreams? or, do you know the true nature of jokes?

Pure cheap philosophy, because the answer is just unknown.

And my point is that you don't need to know the nature of the reality of jokes in order to laugh when you hear one.

The same as well, your position is ridiculous when you pretend to have doubts that physical reality does exist, that you yourself probably are not "real" just because you never discovered the true nature of existence.

In order for you to validate your point, you must to show your argument, your evidence, your ideas, explaining why you think that you are not real.

In this case, when is about "now" and "the existing universe", you must explain why you think there is no "now" and why you think that you don't exist physically.

To say that "you don't know", and that "you have doubts", and come with questions to the unknown, your words are just dogs barking to the Moon.

I guess I should listen to you, Carlos...because you sound like an expert at barking at the moon.

But I won't.

Your reply that you KNOW what reality is...indicates you shouldn't even be in this discussion.

I will leave you to your certainty. (If it is certainty. You are ambiguous and contradictory on that point.)

Enjoy it...although it has no place in a discussion like this.
0 Replies

argome321

Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:55 pm
@Rickoshay75,
By the time you are conscious of the now it has past.

Isn't some external stimuli also needed to distinguish the now, from the past and or future?
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Wed 5 Aug, 2015 11:04 am
@Rickoshay75,
Because everything depends on what scale you're talking about you and I would answer this differently than somoene at CERN say who measures time in increments far shorter than either of us could.

Shortest unit of measure defined so far (last I checked at any rate) is the attosecond. 1 attosecond being to 1 second what 1 second is to 32 billion years.

Guess you could think of it as 'now' being a precise moment somewhere in the future. But since time doesn't stop (unless it does due to some gravitational force, velocity c, whatever else,) 'now' will always only be describeable as having occured in the recent past, or near-future. As in, "'Now' is going to be a the moment in 3, 2, 1, now, plus 1, plus 2, etc." But 'now' as in referring to any point of the moment is just a figure of speech since it's always seen in the rear-view mirror as it were.
0 Replies