Free Will vs. Determinism argument

Guaire

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 03:50 pm
Disclaimer:I am simply posing an excerpt of my musings to outside sources, all views represented here are currently in development and are in no way permanent tenets of my personal philosophies. All ideas are subject to change.

I have been interested in the concept of free will for a good deal of time now and have read a bit about the idea and its numerous arguments both for and against. One thing that I have noticed regarding all sides of the debate is the seemingly inconsistent frame of mind for both sides. most proponents of Free Will bring about points based in the future, resting on potential, i.e. A person would have the option to make decision A or B in given situation X. Whereas individuals supporting determinism often make the counterpoint that Cause C led to the decision A that was made in Situation X. This seems to me to be a fundamental disparity in the argument that requires a different path to continue the debate. Naturally, all examples given in any of these instances are grossly simplified for argument's sake, but it still "rubs me the wrong way".

elaboration: metaphoric arguments for determinism require an event to already have happened where Free Will requires a theoretical future event where events are undecided and possibilities are endless (within the constraints of the situation). This leaves the arguments on completely different fields of play where one cannot exist where the other is and turns any debate into a mere difference of opinion with nothing conclusively gained. (such seems to be the nature of philosophical arguments with no correct answer).

All of that being said, I do not think there is a conclusively correct answer, this is more of a thought excercise to provoke discussion about a side of this debate I have not seen.

looking for any thoughts on this, especially counterpoints or helpful refinement of the idea.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,396 • Replies: 2
No top replies

democritus

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 03:53 pm
@Guaire,
Choice, Free Choice or Free will is a linguistic term describing a situation where "A person would have the option to make decision A or B in given situation X." [We know that there are all sorts of constraints effecting our choice but we still feel we have some level of freedom to choose.]

The concept of free will is very important since responsibility can only be meaningful if there is free choice. [There is no point punishing a murderer if he had no choice in the affair - no free will no responsibility.]

Free will is not a theory, not a belief, it is a linguistic phrase [in the absence of determinism] describing a situation which appears to be free, therefore it needn't to be proved. [It is like atheist's useless attempt proving the non-existence of God - it is not possible - all he needs to do is wait the claimer of God to prove the existence of the deity.]

The term "Determinism" implies the existence of a "Determiner". If the defender of the Determinism who is able to identify precisely who the Determiner is and what he/she/it has determined and even demonstrate his claim in a controlled experiment then he will have a plausible argument. [But nobody has ever succeeded it.]
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 07:00 pm
@democritus,
Quote:
[It is like atheist's useless attempt proving the non-existence of God - it is not possible - all he needs to do is wait the claimer of God to prove the existence of the deity.]

You mean the religious persons attempt to prove there is a god. You're trying to prove two negatives.

"Wait the claimer of god?" What is that supposed to mean? There are millions (if not billions) claiming there is a god, but none have shown any objective proof.

FACT: Religions and the belief in any god is based on FAITH.

Do you understand logic? The one making the claim has the burden of proof.

0 Replies