Was Neil Armstrong the first one on the moon?

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:22 pm
Apollo Moon Landing -- 35th Anniversary
Thirty-five years ago astronaut Neil Armstrong did something no one had ever done before. On July 20, 1969, he set foot on the moon. People around the world watched and listened as Neil slowly climbed down the ladder of the lunar lander. Then, he stepped on the moon's surface where he could look up and see Earth far above him. There he said these well-known words, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/F_Apollo_35th_Anniversary.html

all well and good, but who took his picture, Aldrin or Collins?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,255 • Replies: 43

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:24 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Couldn't you just google this?

There was a camera attached to the leg of the lander that took this picture.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:31 pm
Actually, he had meant to say "That's on small step for a man . . . ." but what he actually said was "That's one small step for man . . . " I'll bet he could have kicked himself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Too difficult for many people with cognition problems.

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Not from I can see. The picture is straight on. Not a side shot.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:43 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Find me the picture you are talking about. Then post that next to a picture of the apollo lunar lander where you can see the legs.

It is pretty obvious.... I am not going to do the work for you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:45 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
maxdancona wrote:Couldn't you just google this?
Too difficult for many people with cognition problems
Or lazy slobs like me
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:45 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J732B5tUjA0ACA0PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&va=moon+landing&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

These should answer your theory...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 12:49 pm
This is the "giant leap" moment:
http://imgick.masslive.com/home/mass-media/pgmain/img/republican/photo/2014/07/20/-1e7c061451d498bf.JPG
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 01:32 am
I saw the thing happening live and it was very well explained at the time. It was a camera attached to the lander. Aldrin was still inside the lander and Collins was in the mother ship orbiting the Moon.

Yes, you're the first person in history to recognize this proof that the whole thing happened on a sound stage. The millions of people watching as it happened missed it.
FBM

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 01:38 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/conspiracy_theorist.jpg
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 03:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I saw the thing happening live and it was very well explained at the time. It was a camera attached to the lander. Aldrin was still inside the lander and Collins was in the mother ship orbiting the Moon.

Yes, you're the first person in history to recognize this proof that the whole thing happened on a sound stage. The millions of people watching as it happened missed it.

I'm not denying the landing, only the lack of A B C logistics. The off weight of the attachment could cause an imbalance in the landing. Much safer and smarter to have Aldren outside with a hand held camera.
BillRM

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 05:22 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
The off weight of the attachment could cause an imbalance in the landing.

You got to be kidding me a ten pound or even 20 pound camera is going to cause some meaningful CG problems that the computer/steering jets could not handle for some strange reason?

Hell I question that Buzz and Armstrong weight the same or for that matter the equipment was that finely balance around the CG points that why you have small steering rockets.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 08:43 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I'm not denying the landing, only the lack of A B C logistics. The off weight of the attachment could cause an imbalance in the landing....

May I see your calculations, please? You can bet that NASA did the calculation.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 08:57 pm
@BillRM,
Actually a 20lb camera, would only weigh 3.3lbs on the moon, making the danger even less.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2014 10:51 pm
Quote:
The Neil Armstrong's "First step on the Moon" was filmed by a camera installed on the MESA (Modularized Equipment Stowage Assembly) at the side of the Apollo Lunar Module (LM) descent stage that Neil Armstrong had to pull a lanyard to unlock the pallet and make it drop open. A switch inside the LM, operated by Buzz Aldrin, then activated the TV camera which was installed there:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/n7if4.jpg

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/3012/who-installed-the-camera-on-the-moon-to-film-the-first-step
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 04:20 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

It is your claims that a small camera would affect the CG of the lander to a dangerous degree so it is your job to show your calculations that this would be true not mine.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 08:51 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

It is your claims that a small camera would affect the CG of the lander to a dangerous degree so it is your job to show your calculations that this would be true not mine.

A. It is not my claim. It is Rickoshay75's claim.
B. The above remark was addressed to him.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 12:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Rickoshay75 wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I'm not denying the landing, only the lack of A B C logistics. The off weight of the attachment could cause an imbalance in the landing....

All NASA knew about the Moon was the gravity would be half as much, and if the landing bounced, LEM could have rolled over on it's side.
contrex

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 12:15 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:
All NASA knew about the Moon was the gravity would be half as much

Half as much as what?
0 Replies