Why is rape discussed more than murder?

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 02:13 am
I'm just wondering why it is that issues related to the crime of rape are discussed more often, and in more depth than issues related to the crime of murder.

I think it's pretty obvious that when you look at both the conventional media and social media, you will see more time given to discussing rape than murder. (And I'm prefacing that by saying that people with all different kinds of social and political leanings seem to discuss the issue of rape more than the issue of murder.)

Why is that?

I think this is a legitimate, and important discussion to be had.

izzythepush

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 04:18 am
I don't know why you want discuss rape all the time, but you're clearly obsessed with it. You don't really post about anything else. It's very important that women and children are protected from a repulsive nonce like you.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 04:43 am
@izzythepush,
great and absolutely sound/rational point!

I LOVE rape. Mmmmmmm, rapilicious!
FBM

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 04:46 am
@nononono,
Hmm. I haven't noticed this. Murder is all the rage these days, what with Furguson and the rest. Do you have any stats that compare the number of media stories on them? I've noticed in myself that when I have something on my mind, I tend to notice it a lot more and ignore things that aren't related to it. Selection bias, it's called.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 04:54 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Hmm. I haven't noticed this. Murder is all the rage these days, what with Furguson and the rest. Do you have any stats that compare the number of media stories on them? I've noticed in myself that when I have something on my mind, I tend to notice it a lot more and ignore things that aren't related to it. Selection bias, it's called.

I haven't done a science analysis of this. I will admit that. My lab coat, and beakers, and bunsen burners have a lot of dust on them. However, I would challenge you to for instance, count up the number of both threads and number of posts on those threads related to each issue on A2K alone... I don't think I'm imagining this.
FBM

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 04:58 am
@nononono,
Oh, were you referring to A2K in particular? I thought you meant more broadly in society. Nvm. I misunderstood. Yeah, it's definitely a more frequent topic here than in society at large, but maybe only because of a couple of recent threads. I haven't noticed an inordinate focus on it over the years. Bearing in mind that I only pay attention about half the time.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:05 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Oh, were you referring to A2K in particular? I thought you meant more broadly in society.

No, I was indeed referencing society in general. Call me crazy, but I don't see a whole lot of heated discussions about the minutia of legalities in regards to murder that take place anywhere in society.

I'm just looking for feedback as to why rape is viewed as so much more of a heinous crime than the taking of a person's life.
izzythepush

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:10 am
@nononono,
Don't try to do irony, you're not smart enough to carry it off.

You are obsessed with rape, particularly with redefining it, so that your sick practices no longer count as rape.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:12 am
@nononono,
Seems to me that we as a culture have been fascinated by murder stories for centuries. "Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother 40 whacks..." Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and other fictional detectives that always seem to be investigating murder masterminds, not rape masterminds. Not saying that rape doesn't have its own following, but looking at the bigger picture, I think I see more attention paid to murder, which seems to suggest that it's the bigger atrocity. Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis (what's his name, Smith?), for example. The media were ate up over the number of people they killed more than what they did with the bodies.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:19 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Seems to me that we as a culture have been fascinated by murder stories for centuries. "Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother 40 whacks..." Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and other fictional detectives that always seem to be investigating murder masterminds, not rape masterminds. Not saying that rape doesn't have its own following, but looking at the bigger picture, I think I see more attention paid to murder, which seems to suggest that it's the bigger atrocity. Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis (what's his name, Smith?), for example. The media were ate up over the number of people they killed more than what they did with the bodies.

Oh, I'm not denying that murder isn't an attention getter. In the realm of fiction alone it reigns supreme.

I'm just wondering aloud why rape gets so much more discussion. Why does it get so much more discussion from all angles? Yes, cases like Michael Brown will inevitably cause controversy. But that's more because of the racial content, not the act itself.

Is there something inherently more appalling to human beings about having sex with someone against their will then taking that person's life? If so, what is that particular facet?

Setanta

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:20 am
This is a typical fallacious ploy, a loaded question. It's a "have you stopped beating your wife" question. One cannot answer it without accepting the premise--other than to just deny the premise.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is a typical fallacious ploy, a loaded question. It's a "have you stopped beating your wife" question. One cannot answer it without accepting the premise--other than to just deny the premise.

Explain more.
FBM

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:25 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

I'm just wondering aloud why rape gets so much more discussion. Why does it get so much more discussion from all angles?...

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced that it does. I'd need some evidence to show that to be a fact.

Quote:
Is there something inherently more appalling to human beings about having sex with someone against their will then taking that person's life? If so, what is that particular facet?

Considering the number of people who rape compared to the number of people who murder, I'd think that most people find it more acceptable. How many rapes go unreported compared to the number of murders that go unreported?
Setanta

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:35 am
@nononono,
That was a straight-forward description of a logical fallacy. If you can't understand that, there is no reason to believe that you'll get if i waste my time in expatiation.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:42 am
@FBM,
Quote:
I'd need some evidence to show that to be a fact.

Well, I'm not going to do a scientific study to prove it to be true, however if you look at for instance the number of heated debates on something like A2K; I'm sure you will see a discrepancy.

Quote:
Considering the number of people who rape compared to the number of people who murder, I'd think that most people find it more acceptable. How many rapes go unreported compared to the number of murders that go unreported?

Ah, but murder is murder. Period. Murder is one person taking another person's life. The end result is that another person is dead. Rape seems to be something subjective that is defined differently by different people.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:49 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
That was a straight-forward description of a logical fallacy. If you can't understand that, there is no reason to believe that you'll get if i waste my time in expatiation.

Fair enough. Perhaps a better phrasing of the question would have been "Which crime is discussed more in the media; rape or murder? And why?"

However, it's hard to deny that rape is discussed more passionately by people on all sides than murder is. Again, I'm too lazy to find some scientific graph/ pie chart to prove that; but come on.

When murder is discussed, it falls more into the category of race related/"hate" crimes that get a lot of discussion. Run of the mill murders that happen everyday sometimes don't even make the news in larger urban areas.
Setanta

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:52 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
However, it's hard to deny that rape is discussed more passionately by people on all sides than murder is.

Oh no, you're wrong--i deny it . . . see how easy that was? If you cannot support the claim or claims of your premise, then there is no reason to take them seriously. More specifically, that you are obsessed with rape is not evidence that all of society is.
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 06:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Oh no, you're wrong--i deny it

Well, you might want to tell that to the media, and the rest of the internet ...and the rest of the world.

Quote:
More specifically, that you are obsessed with rape is not evidence that all of society is.

And if that is true based solely on what you've observed from my activity on A2K, then people like firefly are also "obsessed with rape" right? Give me an honest acknowledgment here.
Setanta

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 06:06 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
Well, you might want to tell that to the media, and the rest of the internet ...and the rest of the world

Your conceit is hilarious--you can't be wrong, because you said you aren't.

Ah-hahahahahahahahahaha . . .
nononono

Tue 23 Dec, 2014 06:07 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Your conceit is hilarious--you can't be wrong, because you said you aren't.

Ah-hahahahahahahahahaha . . .

Come on man, fight me with logic, not insults.