Word for a belief that ... ?

Charli

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:06 am
What is the word for a belief that has permeated a society based on media and misinformation?

Thank you for your input. Charli Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,885 • Replies: 13
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:19 am
"Political Correctness" comes to mind. Laughing

And welcome to A2K, Charli.

timber
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 02:13 pm
Brainwashing!

Let me join Timber in welcoming you to A2K!! You'll enjoy it here!

Anon
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 02:25 pm
Marshall McLuhanism
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 02:49 pm
paradigm - regardless of the belief's validity or origin.

The word used to be badly over worked, but seems to have finally settled down to its straight time rate
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:03 pm
Thanks to everyone for your answers. They're all very good. Possibly any one of them would fit to explain a mind set as I have described it.

A small digression: Weren't McLuhan's ideas latched onto by the 60's activists. Thought I remembered the name from a song of that time.

Back to this belief thing. At a party this past weekend, I was trying to explain a pervasive belief by people in other countries that all Americans are "rich." I told a story about when in Buenos Aires, Argentina, several years ago I said to a young Argentinian that many Americans work two or three jobs constantly just to survive. And, that I didn't mean the new immigrants, but a lot folks whose ancestors settled in this country years ago.

I continued the reiteration by saying, "The Argentinian looked me straight in the eye and said, 'I don't believe you.'" Does this pervasive belief have a name? Or, can we apply one that has been given here? (It might have to do with the illusion of something existing because we want it to.) Again, thanks for your input.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:14 pm
Charli, perhaps "stereotyping" approaches the meaning you seek.

The American's are rich and lazy. The British are humorless. Politicians are scoundrels. (Insert favorite group) are ignorant.

Any such all-inclusive personification is stereotyping, and by any standard of debate or logic invalid.

timber
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:49 pm
Charli<

I think the word you seek is "myth."
BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:02 pm
Charli, first off Welcome aboard for the ride.

Try sending a PM (Personnel Message) to Bibliophile the BibleGuru.

http://www.photoshopworld.com/images/guru/SanDiego/splash.jpg

He is a wordsmith guru extra ordinary.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:36 am
Hello Charli, and has been said before, "welcome to A2K!"

You were inquiring about, "a pervasive belief by people in other countries that all Americans are 'rich.'"

There are a few possibilities here, but they only touch on part of your request's criteria. Applying your question to "other countries" in general, as opposed to America alone, may yield some answers.

For example:
ROORBACK - An ugly rumor of fabricated news, created to discredit an opponent.
STEREOTYPE - A person or thing seeming to conform to widely accepted type or belief.
PLUTOLATRY: worship of wealth.
AFFLUENCY - Generously supplied with money, property, or possessions; prosperous or rich.
MAMMONISM - devotion to pursuit of wealth.

But I think the word which comes closest to what you're looking for is:

XENOCENTRISM - The tendency to assume that aspects of other cultures are superior to one's own, especially with respect to wealth.

It's the best I can come up with for now.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 07:38 am
Bib - THANK YOU! Will the wonders of electronic communication never cease! I did a copy-and-paste of your post and emailed it to the "party participants." They've responded "already" with, "YES! That's it ... the word no one could think of ... XENOCENTRISM!"

We all thank everyone here for participating in this discussion and improving our vocabularies immensely. My friends and I are also quite taken with A2K. So glad to be here; thank you for the warm welcome. Charli Smile
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:14 am
Glad to be of service. Smile

My late grandfather is the man to thank. He was a lexicographer and has left me all his rare reference resources, and given me a great love of WORDS.
From the age of 9, I had to learn 20 new words each day, until I finally rebelled at age 14 - having learned, memorised and understood over 35,000 words!

Needless to say, I've retained many of those words in my vocabulary. Cool

Please don't feel xenocentrist about this, though. :wink:
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 06:49 pm
@Charli,
A hoax.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:24 am
@williamhenry3,

Quote: