Religion and Subjective Well-Being

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 02:28 am
From what I have read religious people report higher levels of subjective well-being. I am curious to know if personality factors are a potential third variable? Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 616 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 02:32 am
@RubyJane,
Could be personality factors. Subjective is the key word, isn't it?
RubyJane

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 02:56 am
@roger,
Yes, I agree. Could it be that the personality types that are attracted to religion are just more positive/happy?
roger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 03:13 am
@RubyJane,
Yes. Personality types is often overlooked in many questions.

Some people are actually happy that they exercise daily. I've often wondered if it's the exercise making them happy. It seems possible happy people like to exercise. I make that up on the spur of the moment, but you kind of get the idea.
RubyJane

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 03:19 am
@roger,
I often hear that too from people that exercise regularly. They state that it makes them happy and I have also wondered if they are already happy and just more motivated to exercise because of this positive personality trait....thank you for your response...
FBM

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 03:29 am
@RubyJane,
I would imagine that anyone who engages meaningfully with a long-term hobby or passion would report much the same. Just my guess, but maybe people who don't report such well-being are at least to some extent those who are prevented from engaging passionately in something that they chose. Maybe nobody ever encouraged them to cultivate such an interest, or maybe they just gave it up for work or family or something else. Hard to say for sure. Like, roger, I just made that up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 05:26 am
You say "from what i have read." Where did you read it? If it refers to a study, what was their methodology? Could someone have gone looking for a confirmation of their bias, and--wonder of wonders--have found it?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 05:59 am
@RubyJane,
RubyJane wrote:

From what I have read religious people report higher levels of subjective well-being. I am curious to know if personality factors are a potential third variable? Any thoughts?
I would be surprised if that was actually the case. Do you remember where you read it?
0 Replies