Sony Cowardly Caves into Terrorists' Demands

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
What about making movies mocking of the Holocaust victims?
You seem to be targeting the victims in that analogy. While several " satirical" movies WERE made in WWII that made Hitler the object of derision(including several short comedies by such troupes as the Three Stooges), I cant recall ANY films that satirized Holocaust victims.

(Propaganda films by the regimes don't really count)

Are you back on the booze, FM?

Carlos mangles the language...and is almost incoherent at times...

...but it was obvious he was making a hypothetical in that particular comment.

Get back to me of the other thing...in the other thread, but only if you are not engaging in anything that clouds your mind.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 11:36 am
Dr. Evil is not very happy with Kim Jong-un

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/dr-evil-sony-north-korea-snl-cold-open/?fb=dd
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

engineer wrote:

I heard an interview with the CEO of Sony Entertainment today. He said Sony wanted to release the film but major theater chains refused to show it and with no screens to put the film on they decided to pull it altogether.

So why is it not online right now?

He said Sony does not have a direct avenue on their own to provide streaming and partners they approached (none names but I'm assuming Netflix, Amazon) refused to carry it likely fearing hacking.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:08 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
He said Sony does not have a direct avenue on their own to provide streaming and partners they approached (none names but I'm assuming Netflix, Amazon) refused to carry it likely fearing hacking.

Youtube? Are any of those file sharing websites still up? Are you seriously trying to tell me that no Korean website will host it? What about the Japanese government?
engineer

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
From the interview, it sounds like Sony wants to make money on this, not give it away. The reviews have been decent so I don't think they want to post it on Youtube.

Here is the interview: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/19/371966188/ceo-says-sony-pictures-did-not-capitulate-is-exploring-options
FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:45 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

engineer wrote:

I heard an interview with the CEO of Sony Entertainment today. He said Sony wanted to release the film but major theater chains refused to show it and with no screens to put the film on they decided to pull it altogether.

Yes, yes I'd forgotten engineer, I'd heard that as well.

They're repeating that in dialog with Obama, so I'd guess that there's something to it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 06:41 pm
@farmerman,
We have a professional football team (and several movies) that mocks the victim of a different genocide.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We have a professional football team (and several movies) that mocks the victim of a different genocide.

Bullshit, that is revisionist history. When we used to play cowboys and indians up and down my street the indians won about half the time. Being called an indian was no more an aspersion than being called a cowboy was.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:34 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

From the interview, it sounds like Sony wants to make money on this, not give it away. The reviews have been decent so I don't think they want to post it on Youtube.

Here is the interview: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/19/371966188/ceo-says-sony-pictures-did-not-capitulate-is-exploring-options
This is the same sony who at first acted like they never intended to release it at all in any form. I believe that they are deep into excuse making for yet again not doing the right thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
PS.....Two or three weeks ago, I bought a Sony Bravia Smart TV.

Really? What made you want to get a yucky LED instead of getting one of the last plasmas or getting one of the new OLEDs?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 05:35 pm
Hey Good North Korea Internet Joke, Everybody!
http://gizmodo.com/hey-good-north-korea-internet-joke-everybody-1674246266
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
we blame the Chinese cause Obama didn't say that we were gonna cut N Koreas string line till after Christmas
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Being called an indian was no more an aspersion than being called a cowboy was.

The NFL team mentioned isn't called the Indians. It's called the Redskins.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 01:36 pm
BREAKING NEWS

Some Theaters To Show 'The Interview' On Christmas Day
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/23/372704366/some-theaters-to-show-the-interview-on-christmas-day

Squeeky wheels: 1
Fearmongers who base their potential horror stories on credible evidence that doesn't really exist: 0
FBM

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 02:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Looks like the ball's in your local theater's court now...
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 08:37 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Looks like the ball's in your local theater's court now...

Unfortunately, that's not true.

Here’s Where You Can See The Interview on Christmas
http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/here-are-all-the-theaters-showing-the-interview.html
Quote:
New York
Alamo, Yonkers
Cinema Arts Centre, Huntington
Island Cinemas, Mastic

No NYC theaters will be screening it unfortunately.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 08:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

Does that give you second thoughts about the title of your thread, Tsar?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 08:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Does that give you second thoughts about the title of your thread, Tsar?

((scratching my head...)) Maybe I don't understand your point. As limited releases go, it's still very limited. As for my thread title? You do realize I can't alter or modify it, right? You've been a member of a2k longer then me. You should know the details of how long one has to change ones original thread.

I'm still disappointed in Sony. I also think Sony was convinced by the backlash in their initial plan to not screen the movie in theaters. So, I feel mildly vindicated because of the collective outcry from us disappointed netizens who still want to see the film. Now that it's in very limited release, there's proof that it will be released in VOD as well. Mild win/win I think.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 08:54 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Isn't Yonkers an inner-ring suburb of NYC?

Maybe not inside NYC city limits, but pretty close I'd say.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2014 09:09 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Isn't Yonkers an inner-ring suburb of NYC?

Maybe not inside NYC city limits, but pretty close I'd say.

If by close, you mean a two and a quarter hour commute (one way) from my apartment in Brooklyn? Yes. It's relatively close.