Can you name some things in your food that you're NOT supposed to eat?

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 11:27 am
In the US, we're supposed to know not to eat the clam shells in a chowder, or the whole cloves in a ham. What other things (including in other cultures) should someone eat-around rather than eat, when it's served in your food?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 21 • Views: 16,692 • Replies: 85

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 11:32 am
@Banana Breath,
It's a vey bad idea to eat the wooden mallet that comes with steamed crabs, even after you've pounded the shells and may smell like the steamed crabs.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 11:37 am
You're not supposed to eat those slips on paper inside a fortune cookie.

That's easy to do, as they taste just like the cookie.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 11:47 am
For years I'd always heard people say
Quote:
"You've got to break some eggs to make an omelette".
Apparently, no one thought to add
Quote:
"Don't put the shells in the omelette."

Joe (I had to figure THAT out on my own.)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 11:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Don't eat the avocado pit that you may have left in the guacamole to keep it from turning brown.

Although, I have see recipes for using those pits, ground, in some mexican dish, perhaps a mole.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:04 pm
@Banana Breath,
When having downed several large glasses of mulled wine and then faced with a table full of Christmas finger buffet, never ever eat the decorative pot pourri placed on one of the side tables.

Apart from those little dried lemony slices.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:08 pm
@Banana Breath,
Bay leaf.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:12 pm
@boomerang,
I know of an a2ker (nameless for now) who breaks them up for part of a sauce recipe..
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:23 pm
@ossobuco,
you know that paper sanitary napkin **** that lies beneath a pack of supermarket chick'n. Don't eat that. Although I suppose you could use it for soup.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:24 pm
@Banana Breath,
you have to tell folks NOT to eat the clam shells?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, yes I do know it. I thought it was pink slime at first (but of course I wouldn't eat that either).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 01:40 pm
@ossobuco,
This reminds me..
schniff, I used to have four bay leaf trees, the Lauris nobilis ones. Free leaves forever, except that I moved..

Also, if you put them in your bags or boxes of flour and similar items, to ward away growth of pantry pests (worked for me), pick the leaves out of the flour when you use it, eh?.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 02:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I have one that is about forty feet high in my garden, and use about two dozen leaves a year. The Indian lady two doors down keeps asking if she can nip in and take a few handfuls, and keeps us supplied with a biscuit tin of spicy samosas in return now and then.
Is it too arid to grow bay where you are now, Osso?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 02:51 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Mine were younger, about 15 feet. I used them (and other stuff) for making a big wreath, since my business partner had an extra wreath ring (no idea what you call them, but you can thread small branches through them in a sort of circular fashion. No wreath ever looked alike, nor gift package. I have these odd arty aspects.. but my business partner was (still is) a garden genius. Her giant bouquets for the front windows of the gallery(studio), which she produced routinely, were stunners.

They don't make it here in the high desert, unless, I guess, kept indoors part of the time. I've enough stuff going on.. without wheeling a tree in and out.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 02:56 pm
Bouquet garni
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:04 pm
Broccoli. There is a growing tendency to add chunks of the stuff to soups and other blended dishes. It is there for its supposed decorative properties. It is not intended to be eaten.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:09 pm
Don't eat the choke in an artichoke, and only scrape off the inside of the leaves, don't eat the whole leaf.

Eat the red seeds not the skin or pith of a pomegranate.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:10 pm
@roger,
Broccoli? In soup? Men's soup?

Soup should only have chunks of meat, spuds and onions.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:49 pm
Don't eat the contents inside the crust of Long John Silver's food. Don't eat the crust either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:50 pm
@Banana Breath,
don't eat any 1 quart veggie boxes, unless the box contains California strawberries. In that case the box is superior to its contents
0 Replies