Why Americans are so disliked

LeeR30

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 05:27 am
I read a 2013 submission by a Dutch woman who was concerned about her children's inability to learn grammar in America and the disgusting, lame responses. There are numerous reasons why Americans are disliked and mine is because they have taken the English language and dumbed it down. Note the use of b in dumb. The Americans have taken a lot of words and changed them to the phonetic spelling, and that can only be because they can't spell. Centre is center, theatre is theater etc. etc. the list is long. Then there's the medical where paed (greek) is changed to ped, just because it had to be phontetic. Please don't dumb down a wonderful language just because you haven't the intelligence, and your children need to pass grades no matter what. This dumbing down is being spread by Microsoft. How sad!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 23 • Views: 6,167 • Replies: 82
Topic Closed

saab

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 05:51 am
A living language changes over the decades and centuries if spoken in USA or GB or any other country.Some of thc changes we do not like others are natural and some pure stupid.
Often English is used completely wrong when translated into another language.
How about the hairdresser who calls her place "Hair Killer" ?
My greatgrandmother went to town in her twoseater with a pair up front.
I take my twoseater and 110 horsepowers up front.
Everybody complains about theeir languages is declining and that has been going on sincethe Middle Ages.
So do not blame the Americans and think that the changes in American language make others dislike Americans.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 05:58 am
So then, to avoid this "dumbing down," do you spell magic as magick? Do you spell tragic as tragick? Some of Mr. Webster's spelling changes have been adopted by the British--they are just dishonest about it.

There are a host of reasons for international antipathy to Americans. I suspect that orthography is way down at the bottom of the list.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 06:02 am

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English
as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English spelling had some room for
improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c".

Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only
will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f".
This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more
komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have
always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag
is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors
be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find
it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru.

Ragman

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 06:14 am
@LeeR30,
Almost every society adapts and does 'damage' to language and culture. North America (Canada obviously, as well) performs dastardly cultural misdeeds. Ask a French citizen about the French-Canadian atrocities to their mother tongue.

So what if US spells words some differently? Look at what the Brits did to many French words once adopted in English. This habit is a continuation (as bad as the habit is) of that habit that was done in UK.

Feel free to dislike US-ians as you wish, but recognize your animosity for what it is...a cultural prejudice.

Now if you want to dislike US for a credible reason, dislike US for its policies and politics of intervening in other countries business.
Ragman

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 06:19 am
@Region Philbis,
Gud werk!

OMSIG...Dave..where are u?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:04 am
Hey, English is already dumbed-down French anyway... ;-)
bobsal u1553115

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:15 am
@Olivier5,
Who did the French Dum(b) down?
jespah

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:16 am
@LeeR30,
You're bitching about center? That's been American spelling for over a century and a half (the furthest back I could find in a quick search was Webster's Dictionary, 1828; I'm sure it's older than that). You're kinda late there, old sport.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:21 am
@LeeR30,
Personally, I have no desire to see any written language become phontetic.

Phonteticy is not the way forward.

What are you Lee, some kind of fantatic?
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:36 am
@Lordyaswas,
Obviously Lee has not yet encountered David!
Olivier5

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Latin.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You'd better be a bit clearer, Frank, as I read it as Dayvid, but Olivier probably reads it as Davveed.

To whom were you Yehudiying?

Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:41 am
In poker, "fish" is a popular term of disparagement. But people who play on the Internet often use a form of fish as a screen name.

One popular spelling is Ghoti.

The "gh" is pronounced like the gh in enough.

The "o" is pronounced like the o in women.

And the "ti" is pronounced like the ti in fiction.

Ain't the English language great.
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You'd better be a bit clearer, Frank, as I read it as Dayvid, but Olivier probably reads it as Davveed.

To whom were you Yehudiying?

OmSigDavid...of the "I love guns" clan...and of the fonetic speling grup.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Absolutely.

I was once taught by a Mr Clough how to rough plough with a bough through the trough of Slough.
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:40 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Absolutely.

I was once taught by a Mr Clough how to rough plough with a bough through the trough of Slough.

Oh, my word! That is so tough that is to read though.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:45 am
@LeeR30,
This is the best reason you can come up with to hate Americans?

As an American, I am feeling rather relieved. (Actually, I thought our recent habit of killing people with remote drones would be more of a problem than our spelling).
Lordyaswas

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 10:07 am
@maxdancona,
Personally, I think that the reason Americans are so disliked is because they drive on the wrong side of the road.
izzythepush

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 11:02 am
@LeeR30,
That really made me laugh. I can just picture the faces of some of the posters when they read that.
0 Replies