terster

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 02:06 pm
My electric baseboard will only heat for a few minutes until it stops. Im not sure if its my breaker or the baseboard its self.. when my 2 wire digital thermostat was connected it would work for a few seconds or minutes then freeze and I wasn't able to change the temperature anymore or the screen would go blank.. I then connected both wires together creating a direct connection from the breaker to my baseboard... same issue.. it only heats a little while until it turns off again... any ideas? how I can test maybe the baseboard or the breaker?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:26 pm
@terster,
Never played around with one Ters but sounds like faulty thermostat

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=electric+baseboard+heaters
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=electric+baseboard+heater+thermostat

Unless you've addressed this possibility already in which case, dunno, could be intermittent open circuit with increasing temp. Take an ohmmeter to it when in hot-off state
terster

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:31 pm
@dalehileman,
That was my first thought as well.. however I hardwired direct 2 the breaker.. and I still have the same issue.. thermostat has been removed...
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:56 pm
@terster,
Since the stat is removed. You could take an amp reading at the breaker while the heater is running to see if it is drawing too much current. Is the breaker tripping? If the CB is not tripping, check the thermal-unit in the baseboard it could be opening when the heater gets hot. Is the air circulation blocked at the heater? The thermal could be bad.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 12:05 pm
@bahtah,
Also Ters it could be a defective heater. For instance if it comprises two or tree parallel sections, just one might be open. How do we determine this

Dunno

If you can find another one, working, you can compare resistance or current. Do you have a multimeter

Trouble with multimeter however is that it might not be useful in comparison of of very low resistance values; while the typical unit isn't capable of measuring ac current

You hafta rilly know your stuff
0 Replies