Torture, It's What's For Breakfast (and Lunch and Supper)

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 04:33 pm
so.......apparently America tortured people

i
am
shocked

and, not only did they torture people, but now their worried that if some folks find out, other folks could be in trouble

ummmm, i'm pretty sure most folks who might get angry already know the US tortured people, the people they tortured are likely their friends and family
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 11,018 • Replies: 197

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 04:48 pm
I don't understand what that report does for our understanding, since everybody has known it went on, almost from its inception. Does a formal report somehow make it more real? Will those responsible ever pay the cost?
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 04:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Will those responsible ever pay the cost?

i doubt it, at least not the ones really responsible, they did throw a few low level folks to the wolves a few years back, but unfortunately Dick Cheney will likely die peacefully in his sleep

we can however live in hope
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/politics/cia-torture-report/

Quote:
Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein said that the CIA's actions in the aftermath of 9/11 were a "stain on our values and on our history."

Okay then. Rolling Eyes So, she has either bought in to an illusion, or, more likely, is playing on an illusion that many others have about the US (and other countries as well, I'd guess). Either way, it's a ridiculous thing to say. She does go on though to explain the purpose of the report..

Quote:

"The release of this 500-page summary cannot remove that stain, but it can and does say to our people and the world that America is big enough to admit when it's wrong and confident enough to learn from its mistakes," she said.

I guess the summary could be viewed as a statement that there will be accountability, but that's not the angle that Feinstein took. Unless she was explaining the report on Sesame Street, again, it's a ridiculous thing to say. I smell politicin'
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:38 pm
@djjd62,
It is shocking that this government would admit it. THe only reason it happened is that USA intel spied on Congress and pissed then the **** off. It is going to be interesting to see if the UN or the Hague takes this and runs with it.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:52 pm
Considering that "torture"is a realtive term, and in other countries they think nothing of severing a limb then burning the stump til you talk, I think waterboading is childs play. It is basically a fear tatctic cause we all know you aint gonna die from it. As for sleep deprevation, in todays workplace environment who the hell hasnt experienced that? And we still have to drive home from work!
Much to do about nothing. Let the CIA do the job they were ment to do.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:59 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
I think waterboading is childs play
If the USA does it we cant bitch when others do it to our soldiers. You are OK with that, right? When my wife went to war I would not have liked that...she traveled a lot and sometimes when out on raids, was at high risk. All that traveling to include multiple IED attacks is why she has PTSD, it could have been worse and would be worse if she was facing ISIS, they would try to snatch people.
giujohn

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You are OK with that, right?

If all they ever did is waterboard, yes.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:59 pm
@giujohn,
So it is fine with you if my wife would have been waterboarded 183 times , for hours at a time, like we did to Khalid Sheikh Mohammed?
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
If the USA does it we cant bitch when others do it to our soldiers.

We don't bitch about it anyway. Well maybe we do slightly, but not in any meaningful matter.

Our soldiers were tortured in WWII, in the Korean War, in the Vietnam War, and in Iraq-1991.

Every single time, we did absolutely nothing to get justice for what was done to our soldiers.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:41 pm
@oralloy,
Good point.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Will those responsible ever pay the cost?

Ask Islam, you self righteous Blowhole
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:49 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Considering that "torture"is a realtive term, and in other countries they think nothing of severing a limb then burning the stump til you talk, I think waterboading is childs play. It is basically a fear tatctic cause we all know you aint gonna die from it. As for sleep deprevation, in todays workplace environment who the hell hasnt experienced that? And we still have to drive home from work!
Much to do about nothing. Let the CIA do the job they were ment to do.

If anyone wants to know how an armchair warrior thinks, then this is above is worth another read.

Probably our bravest A2K member at this moment in time. Rolling Eyes
coldjoint

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:55 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
If anyone wants to know how an armchair warrior thinks, then this is above is worth another read.

Another pearl of wisdom from a man letting his own culture commit suicide.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:59 am
@coldjoint,
Stalking me, coldjoint?

Why not spend another hour or two finding some more of your warped hate material on the internet?
I'm sure the lurid details of this report will give you a hard on long enough for you to relieve your tension.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
warped hate material

You are speaking of Islam? Or your resolute submission?
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:23 am
@coldjoint,
I shall no longer feed you, troll.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 03:36 am
When Paddy Ashdown was on Question Time quite a few years ago he described water boarding as torture. He knows what he's talking about because he was water boarded during his training for the SBS. In fact everyone who has experienced water boarding describes it as torture. The only people who don't are pathetic creeps who've never experienced it themselves.

Slugs like CJ Oralboy and Gobby John talk big, but if they were ever subject to it they'd crack within seconds. Waterboarding is torture, end of.
revelette2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:32 am
@thack45,
I wonder what the accountability will be? What in the world could we do to in any way atone for the sheer inhumane torture done at the hands of the CIA with the backing and direction of our government and with the support of our people?
revelette2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:50 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't know if anyone will pay a cost, if the past is any indication, no they won't. I never agreed with that decision. However, at almost no consolation, the report does give details and makes it official for everyone on earth to read if they are interested. Perhaps it can even be used someday in future court cases, or maybe pigs will fly.
0 Replies