Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 01:56 am
@dlowan,
You're big enough to get you own stamp. But thanks so much for helping
http://www.autismcoach.com/Little%20Miss%20Helpful.jpg
0 Replies

bahagraha

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 11:23 pm
@emchugh4,
I was taught that it was pathetic fallacy. however, in my own understanding, pathetic fallacy is more like personification.
0 Replies

Stepheth

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:44 am
@dlowan,
The correct term IS pathetic fallacy. Shakespeare did it all the time.
Example being that in Macbeth the sky went dark and it was windy and stormy after King Duncan's murder.
0 Replies

pmsquirel

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 11:01 am
@emchugh4,
Pathetic Fallacy

That is the term on every literary devices/terms list I can find. It doesn't sound right, but Pathetic, relating to pathos and empathy and all that, fits the pathetic act of weather responding to the mood or atmosphere of the characters or events in a literary work.
0 Replies

Lobar

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 08:20 pm
@emchugh4,
One possibility is "Objective Correlative."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:45 pm
Quote:
"what is the word for when the weather reflects your mood"
Its kind of like anthropomorfizing the weather.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:49 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
Is there a word for forgetting the name of someone when you want to introduce them to someone else at the same time you realize you've forgotten the name of the person you're introducing them to as well?
amnesia ?
0 Replies

king louis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 02:20 pm
pathetic fallacy
0 Replies

blahdiblah

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 06:44 pm
It IS pathetic fallacy. This word has been misconceived to mean PERSONIFICATION, being partially lost in translation. For example, the rain in a scene with a girl who's mother has just died is used to show how the child is feeling. Trust me, I'm an actor. With Aspergers.
0 Replies

Beccy D

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 01:48 pm
@emchugh4,
Pathetic Fallacy, I know it sounds strange but in English today we discussed it for the topic "conflict", baisically we watched the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan and spoke about how Steven Spealberg had used horrible, gritty weather during the war flashback to show how awful the mood was. -Pathetic Fallacy.
0 Replies

mg1981

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 04:06 am
OBJECTIVE CORRELATE
0 Replies

calala

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 01:06 am
@emchugh4,
So unfortunate that so many people misunderstood the question and acted as if you asked about "what is the condition when your mood is affected by the weather" or "What do you call it when the weather has a mood"...
Neither of those are what was asked though :-/
What is being asked is a word for the more Kundera-esque alignment of weather happening that matches your mood... and I know I've heard a term for this too... just can't recall it :-(
0 Replies

Dlove

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 03:07 pm
@dlowan,
Thank you, dlowan, for a direct, helpful and accurate answer.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 03:10 pm
@Dlove,
That was eleven years ago.

Blimey!

If dlowan was a real wabbit, she'd be a Civet by now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 10:20 pm
@Dlove,
Dlove wrote:

Thank you, dlowan, for a direct, helpful and accurate answer.

You are most welcome!
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:27 pm
Quote:
What is the word for when the weather reflects your mood?

"Anthropomorphism, or personification, is attribution of human form or other characteristics to anything other than a human being. Examples include depicting deities with human form, creating fictional non-human animal characters with human physical traits, and ascribing human emotions or motives to forces of nature, such as hurricanes or earthquakes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

The phrase pathetic fallacy is a literary term for the attributing of human emotion and conduct to all aspects within nature. It is a kind of personification that is found in poetic writing when, for example, clouds seem sullen, when leaves dance, when dogs laugh, or when rocks seem indifferent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathetic_fallacy

0 Replies

Hmitch77

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 09:24 pm
@emchugh4,
I'm trying to title a painting after it, thought it was Verisimilitude, but the definition when I google doesn't work
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 09:56 pm
The word y'all are looking for is "envirosymbiotic."

(Not really, I just made that **** up, sorry)

Maybe some word that came out of the Gaia theory, eh?

Quote:
the Gaia Theory is a compelling new way of understanding life on our planet...The theory asserts that living organisms and their inorganic surroundings have evolved together as a single living system that greatly affects the chemistry and conditions of Earth’s surface.

http://www.gaiatheory.org/overview/

Damn, I just noticed that this thread was started 11 years ago, and has had over 120,000 views. If aint nobody got the answer yet, well, then....
0 Replies

theadamreeder

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:13 pm
I believe you're looking for: "Anthropomorphism." Hope this helps (20 years later). -@theadamreeder
0 Replies

JASTAYLOR7274

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2017 07:38 am
@emchugh4,
Pathetic Fallacy
0 Replies