Furfest interrupted by fumes - is this disturbing to you?

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 12:31 pm
I once was watching CSI and there was a convention going on where adults were dressed in full animal costumes. I thought this has to be some sort of joke.

Well I hear on the news today, that Furfest in a Chicago hotel that someone apparently intentionally left chlorine powder in a ninth-floor hotel stairway, causing the gas to spread.

Does anyone else find this a bit disturbing adults dressing as costumed animals? There is actual membership and so forth?

http://www.wickedweirdworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/raverfox1-800x529.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 4,092 • Replies: 22

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm
@Linkat,
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/1028x675/format/jpg/quality/85/http%3A%2F%2Fhss-prod.hss.aol.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F36d3fd3df024f9a309c98c73dcd84ec8%2F201208867%2F2a6000a5c65042b9a5aa08a53a5d61f0.jpeg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm
@Linkat,
I honestly do not know what to make of this.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/08/criminal-probe-after-gas-evacuates-furries-event/21004099/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 01:23 pm
@Linkat,
the first thing I thought about when I heard about the chlorine at Furfest was this article that I read years ago

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2001/03/furries200103

Quote:

Welcome to the world of “furries”: the thousands of Americans who’ve gotten in touch with their inner raccoon, or wolf, or fox. Judging from the Midwest FurFest, this is no hobby. It’s sex; it’s religion; it’s a whole new way of life.

furries are (to me) less weird than plushies but definitely outside of my social experience

I like to dress up - but not as a raccoon
Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Kids are invited - but only to certain "events" - I don't know - it seems counter to sex as you are so clothed -- it would get in the way.

What they h*ll is plushies? I probably don't want to know.

Makes my brady bunch convention seem so much more normal.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:08 pm
@Linkat,
Plushies are explained on the first page of the article I linked.

Brady Bunch fans are probably, generally, a tamer bunch.
Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't see much a difference after reading one likes full sized stuffed animals and the other likes just the regular run of the mill stuffed animal.

To each their own as long as they are not harming actual animals or children - just odd - seems like a bunch of people that haven't grown up - probably not a heck of alot different than Star Trek and all these other dress up sorts of conventions and groups. Just I would never imagine adults enjoying dressing in these costumes to be with other adults.
George

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Plushies are explained on the first page of the article I linked. . . .
Ick
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:23 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Ick

yup

I think that's why I remember that article so clearly more than a decade after reading it.
Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 04:32 pm
@Linkat,
I feel very previledged someone tagged my post with my own name! How exciting.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 04:37 pm
I am much more disturbed that someone set out to harm other people.

Seriously, we need to learn to leave other people alone unless they are hurting us.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 04:40 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
To each their own as long as they are not harming actual animals or children - just odd - seems like a bunch of people that haven't grown up - probably not a heck of alot different than Star Trek and all these other dress up sorts of conventions and groups. Just I would never imagine adults enjoying dressing in these costumes to be with other adults.

I was reading a theory that this is all about bored millennials, young people who either have no job or are underemployed. I would rather have them doing dress up than the likely alternative, getting pissed at their situation and deciding to burn the place down.

Count your blessings.
George

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 06:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I am much more disturbed that someone set out to harm other people. . . .
Amen to that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 06:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll forego reading this, thanks for the warno.

I'm not all delighted by people dressed as animals but I can understand it sometimes: mascots (eh!), halloween (eh!), maybe some odd occasion, but whole groups as in that photo above seem dumb, if not weird.

Alternately, I'm not too hot on dogs being dressed up either (much less cats), with the exception of winter in snow land where they get added warmth help. Oh, and Wegman. I like his photography enough to shut up about the matter re him, but only him. (Waves to Tsar)
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 06:49 pm
I'm okay with it as long as they're using fake fur.

I'd hate to think any real six-foot blue bunnies were harmed so some punk kids could satisfy a fetish.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 11:18 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Furfest interrupted by fumes - is this disturbing to you?

Fur goodness sake yes, I'm fuming.

And those plushies and various vicarious love glove puppets make me worry about what marionette and the astringency of a chokeberry.

Next year's convention is to be known as the Downtown Furphyest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 11:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I was reading a theory that this is all about bored millennials,

the furries and plushies in the VF article were in their 30's and 40's over a decade ago. It's a constantly replenishing population but they were around when millenials were toddlers (and before that as well).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 11:31 pm
@Linkat,
I don't find adults dressing up as animals disturbing, even if there is a sexual aspect to it. Maybe it is strange (I don't personally see the appeal), but any thing like this between consenting adults is fine with me.

Gassing people, on the other hand, is pretty disturbing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:28 am
I really don't have an issue with it, just disturbing in the sense seeing adults walking around with full costumes on - I guess maybe strange is more fitting, And of course that harming anyone is a problem that goes without saying.

I do count my blessing every day -- just this is just a tad weird.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:18 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Does anyone else find this a bit disturbing adults dressing as costumed animals? There is actual membership and so forth?

To each their own. So long as all involved are consenting adults, it is none of my business.