Norton AV system tray icon keeps disappearing.

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 09:34 am
This problem has happened 3 times now. The first time it happened was a few months ago. I solved the problem by using the System Restore and the icon returned. The 2nd time it happened was just a few days ago. I did another System Restore and the icon returned, again... HOWEVER.... the next day when I booted up the laptop, the icon had again, disappeared. Without the icon I am unable to activate a live update. The program is still in the "Programs" so it has not been uninstalled. I just cannot understand why the little icon (it was in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, near the clock and other icons such as the speaker icon). I know that by rights the AV ought to do live updates automatically when I am online, but I may not turn the laptop on for a few days, and usually, when I eventually boot up, I get a message up on the screen that my Norton AV is out of date and I have to FIX it. Since the little Norton icon has disappeared I don't get any messages like that anymore and I have NO idea how up-to-date my Norton AV is. I've had this laptop for about 5 years now and this sort of thing has never happened before and I have only ever had Norton AV on it. Maybe someone in A2K has an idea about what I am waffling on about.
6th Dec 14.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,400 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 02:37 pm
@drillersmum,
What operating system are you using, Windows XP, Windows 7, Apple, etc?
drillersmum

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 07:26 am
@Butrflynet,
It is Windows 7. I have since asked a computer 'expert' who said the problem was caused by me downloading Windows Live Updates, and that it had happened to him. He said that Microsoft had since 'fixed' the problem. I am unable to fully believe him until I can have things back to normal. He said I needed to make sure I did Windows Live Updates regularly. I said I did that. He also said that even though the Norton icon was not visible, my computer was still being protected. I won't be happy until I see the Norton icon in my System tray permanently. I cannot understand why a Windows Live Update would cause the icon to disappear from the System Tray. I have since purchased a new PC with Windows 8.1 and I am rather concerned that it will happen on the new PC. I was also told that this particular problem also happened with other anti-viruses, including Trend. Computers are hard enough to understand without Microsoft making it so much harder.
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 05:44 pm
@drillersmum,
Norton is a pathetic waste of money, and useless. All it does is to try to scare you into believing that you need it. Here is what you should do. Download Microsoft Security Essentials, which is MS free version of Norton/McCaffey. Run the checker after you install it, then uninstall Norton. Security Essentials is made by MS, so they know the OS code far better than Norton, and MS can change both the OS code and Security Essentials to keep up above all threats. So go free, and be safe at the same time.

0 Replies