Is it mold? Is it toxic? Need advice on very odd mold

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:55 pm
In my home office today I discovered a very long thread-like substance coming from the ceiling. The ceiling area was dry but there were light brown stains suggesting water damage. The odd substance was about 36 inches long, 1/4 inch in diameter and hanging from the ceiling. I placed a garbage bag around it and was able to remove it in one piece - although it broke up a bit in the garbage bag. It was the only thread and there is no external evidence of any other mold. I have been looking at websites on toxic mold and starting to panic. Any idea what this could be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:45 pm
@mama bear,
Is it near the ceiling heat vents (if you have them)?

I ask because living in the blowing desert sands, we have to have our heating ducts and vents cleaned out every few years. If it goes long enough between cleanings, the accumulating pollen, webs, and dust sometimes develop stringy threads that dangle from the vents.

If you are worried about it, take the bag full of stuff to a local contractor or HVAC place to see if they can tell you what it is.
0 Replies