Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:59 pm
Working towards getting my novel published. It's going slowly but surely. The problem is this: between this book and my four others (all in the works), I'm running out of name ideas...
Between all of my books, I have over 500 characters. And I never use a name more than once.
Can someone help me? I welcome all suggestions...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,530 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 07:58 pm
@jadsiasun96,
Describe the characters a little...I'll try to help...:-)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 08:28 pm
I've the impression from my reading that names work best if they fit the environment that the book's situations take place in.

A big city story in the U.S. will often have people from many backgrounds and names that fit those.
A tale about goings on in an irish town decades ago will likely have such names as William Trevor chose.
A tale about what is going on in the battles between several genders set in 2032 will be apt to be different than the names prominent now.

Names change in popularity with what seems to me like waves hitting a shoreline, so depending on your characters, you might check what was popular when the characters were born.

I think it's good to have a character or more have some normal type name on the birth certificate but be known by most with a name that caught on, maybe one the character picked himself as a teen or was picked by others.

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 08:43 pm
@jadsiasun96,
Do a Google search for name generators. Many roleplaying gamers use them to come up with their character names.
Aldistar

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 02:43 pm
I get the same problem when creating characters for my writing/comic books. I always go to baby name books for the answers. I can always find something with a meaning that represents the person I am creating. Sometimes you have to get creative and take several names and combine them.
jadsiasun96

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:30 pm
@Germlat,
There are several different characters, so any description would work. The ones I am trying to create are mostly minor characters, the ones that are just there to fill an empty slot. The readers would hear the name a couple times in stories, or meet them at a party; something like that. It requires a name, but no real personality or background.
The few semi-major characters I am still trying to name are similar. Their descriptions are not set in stone.
For me, I usually find a name I can use, and then build on that. And since I am having difficulty finding names, everything else has become more difficult as well...
0 Replies

jadsiasun96

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Most of the characters are from the United States, born between 1980 and 2010. However, some are more nature-oriented, so about 1/8 of them have nature-based names (ex. Sorrel, Coal). The rest could be common in the US, so not something overly hard to pronounce. Surnames could be from any language, but the first names are usually either English or originating from a Latin-based language.
0 Replies

jadsiasun96

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have, several times. They usually give me odd names that I will never remember how to spell, or they repeat the same twenty names until I get too bored to continue...
0 Replies

jadsiasun96

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:39 pm
@Aldistar,
I've done that before, and it helped get several of my names. But recently, I have found no real inspiration with those sites, as the ads constantly popping up irritate me. I have looked at several sites recently, but their names are either too hard to pronounce, or have already been used in my books...
0 Replies