Can we ever really know reality?

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 03:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not think it is not real...nor have I ever asserted it is not real

But I do not KNOW it is real.

I know I do not know it is real...which is what I actually stated.

There is a difference.

In any case, on many occasions I have posted that I often use the word "know" to denote things like "I know the name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa" and "I know I am at the keyboard in my den typing."

But in the structured setting of what we are discussing, the discussion must be more rigorous.

If you do not understand this, there are some interesting threads about movies and television shows you might want to involve yourself with.

Oh, come on.

Don't come here with word playing, semantics and faking being another pioneer for a Royal English Academy.

Just answer: you don't know if the computer in front of you is real.

Why?

Give a plain explanation of such a doubt of yours.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 04:16 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:
I do not think it is not real...nor have I ever asserted it is not real

But I do not KNOW it is real.

I know I do not know it is real...which is what I actually stated.

There is a difference.

In any case, on many occasions I have posted that I often use the word "know" to denote things like "I know the name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa" and "I know I am at the keyboard in my den typing."

But in the structured setting of what we are discussing, the discussion must be more rigorous.

If you do not understand this, there are some interesting threads about movies and television shows you might want to involve yourself with.

Oh, come on.

Don't come here with word playing, semantics and faking being another pioneer for a Royal English Academy.

Just answer: you don't know if the computer in front of you is real.

Why?

Give a plain explanation of such a doubt of yours.

Carlos...I have answered the question.

You are one of those people who come onto the Internet...with delusions of grandeur. You are going to "teach" us those things that you know...that all of us simply do not.

I do not know if anything is real, Carlos...and neither do you. Everything may be an illusion...of a shared mind of some sort.

But if you sleep better and feel better about yourself with YOUR delusions of grandeur...and your delusions that you KNOW the REALITY...fine with me. In fact, I'm happy for you.

But frankly, compared with some of the stuff that has been peddled here in the last few years, your nonsense is pedestrian at best.
fresco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 04:26 pm
Quote:
But frankly, compared with some of the stuff that has been peddled here in the last few years, your nonsense is pedestrian at best. Wink

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 04:37 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
But frankly, compared with some of the stuff that has been peddled here in the last few years, your nonsense is pedestrian at best. Wink

It was intentional. It always is. And I got the dig! Wink

But no matter how much we disagree, Fresco, ya gotta agree that this guy is peddling particularly shabby goods.
fresco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 04:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Alas, your involvement with him is indicative of the only level of dialogue you are likely to get.

Actually, Carlos is merely reinforcing the daily (non-metaphysical) usage of the word "reality" and suggesting you would be a fool to deny those contexts. My position is merely to take go step further by saying that such contextual usage is all that can be said about "reality".
fresco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 05:03 pm
TYPO
delete "go" insert "one"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 05:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Alas, your involvement with him is indicative of the only level of dialogue you are likely to get.

Actually, Carlos is merely reinforcing the daily (non-metaphysical) usage of the word "reality" and suggesting you would be a fool to deny those contexts. My position is merely to take go step further by saying that such contextual usage is all that can be said about "reality".

There is one more thing that can be said, Fresco.

Whatever the REALITY IS...that is what it IS.

I know. Your devotion to your "authorities" language gods will not allow that to penetrate, but it is what is.

I hope you eventually realize that.
carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 06:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

You are one of those people who come onto the Internet...with delusions of grandeur. You are going to "teach" us those things that you know...that all of us simply do not.

I do not know if anything is real, Carlos...and neither do you. Everything may be an illusion...of a shared mind of some sort.

But if you sleep better and feel better about yourself with YOUR delusions of grandeur...and your delusions that you KNOW the REALITY...fine with me. In fact, I'm happy for you.

But frankly, compared with some of the stuff that has been peddled here in the last few years, your nonsense is pedestrian at best.

So, you don't know if the computer in front of you is real and you can't explain at all why you think so.

What a dump! Lol.

Besides your flowered expressions in this discussion, I can see that the grey hair of the icon in your avatar has changed for nothing... you have not collected wisdom thru the years...
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 08:20 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:

So, you don't know if the computer in front of you is real and you can't explain at all why you think so.

What a dump! Lol.

Besides your flowered expressions in this discussion, I can see that the grey hair of the icon in your avatar has changed for nothing... you have not collected wisdom thru the years...

Actually, YOU cannot KNOW that the computer in front of you is real either, Carlos. But your need to be a genius and have the world derive benefit from your existence blinds you to that.

Enjoy your stay here...although your messianic complex will probably suffer lots of hits.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 11:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No. There is not "one more thing". Your vacuous mantra is the intellectual equivalent of "the Emperor's New Clothes".
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 06:53 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No. There is not "one more thing". Your vacuous mantra is the intellectual equivalent of "the Emperor's New Clothes".

I realize that denial is a tenet of your religion, Fresco.

But it ranks up there with the Trinity as far as I am concerned.
fresco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 10:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Laughing Sue the tailors Frank ! There may be still time to redeem your heavy investment. Consider it a test of that "ethical wherewithal" that you are so keen to to try to beat others over the head with.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 10:39 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Laughing Sue the tailors Frank ! There may be still time to redeem your heavy investment. Consider it a test of that "ethical wherewithal" that you are so keen to to try to beat others over the head with.

Your religion is trumping your intelligence, Fresco. Clobbering it, might be a more accurate way to put it.

It is embarrassing to watch.

But I am doing it with a smile on my face.
ExistentialPotential

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 01:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
OK, this has escalated since I last checked.

I realise that I didn't quote you last time, and not doing that meant that my point didn't come across at all.

Just thought I'd say that I no longer care about this question, as over the last few days I've realised that it doesn't actually matter that much. So far as anyone seems to be concerned, we all seem to get along in life fairly well assuming that we can know reality for what it is, and often this assumption works in our favour.
What's more, the question does not seem to have much bearing on matters that seem more pertinent, such as questions concerning the direction of one's life, self-enhancement, practical knowledge etc. Although reflecting on questions such as these may relate to enhancing oneself, through deepening one's understanding of reality, at bottom the question is just an intellectual curiosity, something to mull over occasionally when one is in the mood for such things.
And if there is one thing I know the reality of, it is my mood.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 02:03 pm
@ExistentialPotential,
ExistentialPotential wrote:

OK, this has escalated since I last checked.

I realise that I didn't quote you last time, and not doing that meant that my point didn't come across at all.

Just thought I'd say that I no longer care about this question, as over the last few days I've realised that it doesn't actually matter that much. So far as anyone seems to be concerned, we all seem to get along in life fairly well assuming that we can know reality for what it is, and often this assumption works in our favour.
What's more, the question does not seem to have much bearing on matters that seem more pertinent, such as questions concerning the direction of one's life, self-enhancement, practical knowledge etc. Although reflecting on questions such as these may relate to enhancing oneself, through deepening one's understanding of reality, at bottom the question is just an intellectual curiosity, something to mull over occasionally when one is in the mood for such things.
And if there is one thing I know the reality of, it is my mood.

Sounds good to me.

I live my life as though "what we see and sense" is the REALITY. It may not be...but I am not jumping out in front of any trains to test the idea of it being a massive, persistent illusion.

Peace, EP.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:05 am
@ExistentialPotential,
Good conclusion
Interestingly in matters of "self-enhancement" questions about the "reality of self" become a central issue. Such attempts at transcendence could be thought of as investigations of "spirituality" without the baggage of religion.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:54 pm
@fresco,
Yes indeed.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:55 pm
@ExistentialPotential,
EP, I agree. It seems to me that a major kind of enlightenment is the realization of how some "problems" are illusory. A difference between JLNobody as a youth and JLNobody as an oldster is that the latter finds his life to be non-problematical, whereas the former found his life burdened by metaphysical and identity problems everywhere.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 07:33 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:

What a dump! Lol.

Beg pardon for barging in on something that's none of my business. Do tell me to butt out if my observations aren't welcome. But just as an academic exercise:

Consider the statements, "You are one of those people who..."
and
"I do not know if anything is real..."

The former is a truth statement, a statement of (presumed) knowledge. The latter contradicts it.

Not being inside the writer's mind, I don't know whether this is anything more than a temporary lapse in verbal discipline or an indication of a deeper problem with consistency in approach or concept, but if I were the interlocutor in this exchange, I would investigate.

Sorry if this was an unwelcome observation.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 08:07 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:

What a dump! Lol.

Beg pardon for barging in on something that's none of my business. Do tell me to butt out if my observations aren't welcome. But just as an academic exercise:

Consider the statements, "You are one of those people who..."
and
"I do not know if anything is real..."

The former is a truth statement, a statement of (presumed) knowledge. The latter contradicts it.

Not being inside the writer's mind, I don't know whether this is anything more than a temporary lapse in verbal discipline or an indication of a deeper problem with consistency in approach or concept, but if I were the interlocutor in this exchange, I would investigate.

Sorry if this was an unwelcome observation.

It certainly is not unwelcome, FBM. Fact is, it gives me a chance to laugh at the pomposity involved in what you had to say and the way you said it. Your comment appears to be a backdoor way of taking an unnecessary swipe at me, the writer of that comment, while trying to appear dispassionate and engaged in “an academic exercise.”

Ya gotta admit...that is funny!

I will, however, acknowledge that the wording could have been tighter. I could have started the second paragraph with "It is my opinion that..." but I think that part of the thought is understood, since most observations of that sort are nothing but opinion.

The entirety of this response being just opinion on my part also, of course.

I suspect I got pretty close to the truth, though…although only you know for sure. (The word “know” being used the way I said I use it in “I know I am at my keyboard.”)