Non-white cop kills young white male - racist?

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 10:57 am
Salt Lake cop cleared in shooting of unarmed white man

A grand jury’s decision not to indict a white police officer who killed an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Missouri, announced this week, could spark renewed interest in a case in Utah involving a young, unarmed man killed by a police officer outside a 7-Eleven.

Described as white and Hispanic, Taylor was shot by a non-white officer Aug. 11.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sam Gill said in late September that though Taylor was not armed when Officer Bron Cruz shot and killed him on Aug. 11, the officer was justified in the shooting.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/25/ferguson-could-spark-renewed-interest-utah-case/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,452 • Replies: 62

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 12:19 pm
@Linkat,
It gets a lot less attention when a white is killed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 02:25 pm
@Linkat,
Your link says that he was a convicted robber.
We r better off with fewer of those around.
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 03:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
To me, it doesn't matter the color, gender or whatever, if a police officer needs to protect him/her self then they should.

This news item did not get any where near the publicity the other story did -- both young men killed by a police officer - and one gets all this protest and so forth and the other -- other than just locally nothing or very little.

the biggest difference I see -- one was armed and the other not armed. And funny the one not armed did not get the same coverage and uproar.
boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 03:45 pm
@Linkat,
I agree that the police should be able to protect themselves.

But in most of these cases there the person killed is unarmed. All the police have to do is say "We thought he had a gun." and away they go.

Utah, like Ohio (where Tamir Rice and John Crawford were killed), and Missouri (where Micheal Brown was killed) are open carry states.

Anyone is allowed to carry a gun anywhere so having a gun on you is no reason for the police to shoot anyone.

Police have to stop killing our young men and boys.
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 03:59 pm
@boomerang,
this particular case - the officer actually had a camera so there was video of the incident. Now to be honest, I did not view the video - not sure if it viewable by the public, but the police officer still got off.

Now I don't make a claim either way as I haven't read/viewed enough to do so. Just odd that this did not make national news as well - maybe we will hear more of it now that the Brown incident make national news. Maybe, maybe not.

It is tough any way you look at it --- you do not want to convict a police officer (or anyone for that matter) if you do not know -- the presumption of innocent. Usually these individuals are criminals and even if they do not have a gun - I would imagine police assume the worse when you are talking about criminals...they work a very dangerous job and if they are not prepared, they could likely be killed and also others around them.

On the other hand, just because someone commits a crime, does not mean they should be punished by death -
boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 04:30 pm
@Linkat,
I've seen the video. There are two policemen, both with guns drawn, following him telling him to show his hands and he just ignores them, he reaches down and lifts up his shirt and they shoot him.

It just seems to me that the police involved in these incidents aren't well trained in anything other than shooting. It's tragic. Let's up a 100% tax on guns and ammunition and spend the money training police officers on how to deal with this kind of thing without killing anyone.

I was reading around about this, trying to find out how many unarmed people were killed by the police (apparently nobody bothers to keep track) when I came across this article: http://laist.com/2013/12/31/crime_is_down_cops_murdered_on_the.php

Quote:
...it turns out that fewer police officers died in shootings in 2013 than any year in the entirety of the 20th century.

In the whole United States, 33 police officers were shot in 2013 (as of this writing). That number is the lowest it's been since 1887 when 27 officers were killed in shootings

http://laist.com/attachments/laist_emma/2013-totalfatalities-web.png

It has to stop. I've always been a law and order kind of girl but as the mother of a teenage boy this absolutely terrifies me. I watch that video of Tamir Rice and think that absolutely could have been Mo -- out playing with an airsoft gun and holding it out to show to the police or trying to stick it in his pocket or his pants or whatever. What are we even supposed to teach our boys about dealing with the police?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:53 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I agree that the police should be able to protect themselves.

But in most of these cases there the person killed is unarmed. All the police have to do is say "We thought he had a gun." and away they go.

Utah, like Ohio (where Tamir Rice and John Crawford were killed), and Missouri (where Micheal Brown was killed) are open carry states.

Anyone is allowed to carry a gun anywhere so having a gun on you is no reason for the police to shoot anyone.

Police have to stop killing our young men and boys.
Has Mo commented on this controversy ?

I guess he is pretty close to adulthood by now?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 01:09 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
On the other hand, just because someone commits a crime,
does not mean they should be punished by death -
The police are innocent IF thay kill only in personal defense,
not to avenge crimes that have been committed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 01:55 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I've seen the video. There are two policemen, both with guns drawn,
following him telling him to show his hands and he just ignores them,
he reaches down and lifts up his shirt and they shoot him.

It just seems to me that the police involved in these incidents aren't
well trained in anything other than shooting. It's tragic. Let's up a
100% tax on guns and ammunition and spend the money training
police officers on how to deal with this kind of thing without killing anyone.
Constitutional Rights are supposed to be un-taxable, like sunlight.

boomerang wrote:
I was reading around about this, trying to find out how many unarmed people were killed by the police
(apparently nobody bothers to keep track) when I came across this article:
http://laist.com/2013/12/31/crime_is_down_cops_murdered_on_the.php

...it turns out that fewer police officers died in shootings
in 2013 than any year in the entirety of the 20th century.

In the whole United States, 33 police officers were shot in 2013
(as of this writing). That number is the lowest it's been since 1887
when 27 officers were killed in shootings

It has to stop. I've always been a law and order kind of girl but
as the mother of a teenage boy this absolutely terrifies me.
I watch that video of Tamir Rice and think that absolutely
could have been Mo -- out playing with an airsoft gun and holding it
out to show to the police or trying to stick it in his pocket or his
pants or whatever. What are we even supposed to teach our boys
about dealing with the police?
I have never had them point guns at me,
nor have thay ever screamed at me, but
I always thought to get along with them pleasantly,
the same as anyone else, normal politeness.

In the scenario that u hereinabove discussed, the most urgently necessary
procedure was to quickly reduce the level of emotional stress.
There is no room for doubt that the shooter will assert that
he believed that Rice was about to kill him. Rice needed
to get the police to relax, be calm and be peaceful.
That can be accomplished by pleasant, friendly, co-operation.
Raising your hands will do the trick. The police are very un-likely
to shoot anyone with his hands up. The most important thing
is not to threaten them with violence.
FBM

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 03:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, there are a lot of things that fall under "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" that are taxed. Like, damn near everything except sunshine and air.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 04:01 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
What are we even supposed to teach our boys about dealing with the police?

Do exactly what you are told when you are told. If the cops are wrong then deal with that later.
boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 07:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Rice needed to get the police to relax?

He was calmly walking towards the police car, holding a TOY. How is a 12 year old boy supposed to calm down the police in 2 seconds?

Mo is 13. Hardly an adult.
boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 07:09 am
@hawkeye10,
That's pretty much what I've told him. Unfortunately, what people know and what they do doesn't always match. There's really no way to rehearse this kind of thing.

Have you seen that Rice video? There was no time for the police to tell him what to do and for him to do it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:00 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Well, there are a lot of things that fall under "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" that are taxed.
U quoted the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.
boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
We tax newspapers, magazines and alcohol. There is already a sales tax on guns. Being mentioned in the Constitution doesn't give an item tax free status. I'm suggesting we increase the tax on guns, like we have done to cigarettes and alcohol, to offset their cost to society.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 09:03 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Rice needed to get the police to relax?
Yes. If thay felt soothed into serenity,
such as by telling them that it was only a toy
or by raising his hands, then thay 'd not have harmed him.

(Actually, that works vice-versa:
if someone gets the drop on the police,
then THAY need to calm him down, re-assure him & comfort him
in efforts to prevent an eruption of violence.)

boomerang wrote:
He was calmly walking towards the police car, holding a TOY.
How is a 12 year old boy supposed to calm down the police in 2 seconds?
Throwing away the toy woud have saved his life.
The most important thing is not to threaten the police, not to scare them.

boomerang wrote:
Mo is 13. Hardly an adult.
Forgive my memory; I have not been well this week. I almost returned to the hospital.
I 've had similar symptoms to those that afflicted me after we met in your city.
The illness debilitated my memory. I 'm getting better. I 'm trying to distract myself
by watching TV and by posting on Internet fora.

Has Mo any opinions concerning these heated controversies ?

David
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 11:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

A lot of people here do not know the difference.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 02:09 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Have you seen that Rice video? There was no time for the police to tell him what to do and for him to do it.
I have a huge problem with cops breaking down front doors of our homes and shooting without warning as if we are suspected members of al qaeda. I think this lack of fair play rolls right into zero tolerance, the expectation of perfection from humans which is idiotic, and our lack of compassion, and our government enforced clean living. what we are seeing is mans inhumanity towards men yet again, this time with a twist, trying to make us into Gods, by force.

To some extent education will help, as a lot of people are so stupid that they actually believe that men can behave as Gods. But at the end of the day we need to see our sadomasochistic game for what it is and decide that we dont want to do it anymore.
FBM

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 02:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

FBM wrote:
Well, there are a lot of things that fall under "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" that are taxed.

Brain fart. Mea culpa. The principle still holds.