Your Top Ten Thanksgiving Conversation Diverters

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 11:14 am
Ever'body knows sweepatatas and yams is two different aminals.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 11:20 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

And of course the reliable "huh, I never heard that before"

Oh no! That'll keep them talking.

I've had success with "oh look! choclate cake!" and scampering off.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 11:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Yes....

I was reminded last night that down in the Southern States upon hearing something disagreeable but not wanting to respond fully a person would simply look at the other, smile and say "Well, bless my soul."

Darn.

Joe(That wouldn't work for me.)Nation

Then there's the ever popular "Well bless his heart" as in "He's been runnin' around with that tramp now for 3 months, drinking and spending every dime. I can't see how he still has a job....bless his heart."
glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 02:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

Yes....

Then there's the ever popular "Well bless his heart" as in "He's been runnin' around with that tramp now for 3 months, drinking and spending every dime. I can't see how he still has a job....bless his heart."

My husband is from Raleigh, very few of his elder family members have ever ventured far from the State. I can remember vividly how his Mom, Aunt and older female cousins would use that "Well, bless your heart", it was never meant to be a sweet statement. They just didn't think Yankee gals were smart enough to figure it out. And I'm from Maryland, below the Mason-Dixie line. Don't get me wrong, at times those ladies were wonderful, they just preferred the passive aggressive way of letting you know they thought you were uppity.

roger

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 03:15 pm
"You could be right" often produces a change of subject.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 03:25 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

Yes....

My husband is from Raleigh, very few of his elder family members have ever ventured far from the State. I can remember vividly how his Mom, Aunt and older female cousins would use that "Well, bless your heart", it was never meant to be a sweet statement. They just didn't think Yankee gals were smart enough to figure it out. And I'm from Maryland, below the Mason-Dixie line. Don't get me wrong, at times those ladies were wonderful, they just preferred the passive aggressive way of letting you know they thought you were uppity.

Oh hell yeah. "bless his/her/your heart" is bad mojo.

I'd rather be stuck in a room with a hungry pit bull than with 3 decent southern christian ladies.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 03:28 pm
So, who's for more pumpkin pie?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 03:53 pm
"your kids are so cute!" "I need to check on my kids" " where did your kid learn to do that"....you get the picture.

Works almost every time, people cant resist talking about their kids or accepting kid centered excuses.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 04:19 pm
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10383656_669308643191526_7786336190614304021_n.jpg?oh=315f54939dae4069f4b07de8bcb0c0ae&oe=55150347
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 11:01 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Oh hell yeah. "bless his/her/your heart" is bad mojo.

I'd rather be stuck in a room with a hungry pit bull than with 3 decent southern christian ladies.

I have been in a room with dozens of decent Christian Southern women and lived to tell the tale. The trick is to stay relaxed, and keep your sense of humor. My dear departed mother-in-law was incredibly uncomfortable that her beloved son married a Yankee Catholic tramp. But she was too Christian to be direct about it. But there was one magical night as we sat around her lovely dining room table, enjoying a lard laden dinner, when I think I must have recounted a story about Catholic School nuns. At that moment you could see she couldn't keep it in any longer, so she said "jayyness (it's actually Janice) so, can you tell me, are the Catholics like the Jews and don't believe Jesus Christ is their Lord and Saviour??? (Please take a minute to absorb this), I honestly knew it would not be kind to start laughing, but I just gave her a big smile and said "Actually, we Catholics thought of it first". My husband was amused, but I know that devout women had no idea what I was talking about. She truly was a lovely person, just clueless about all those blasphemous churches, temples and mosques. My hand to God, my husbands family has given me so much material I could take it on tour.

I have to point out that although the elders had little knowledge or understanding of anything outside of a fifty mile circle, they worked hard, they made sure their children were well educated and courteous. That might not seem like high praise, but I got to meet many of the people my husband grew up with, most of them became very successful in careers that were definitely challenging. I'm just very concerned that anyone would assume I'm making fun of Southern people, it would be a huge mistake to judge a person by their accent. I live in Maryland, people in New Hampshire assume I'm a rube, and folks in Tennessee think I'm an uppity Yankee. Go figure.
Banana Breath

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 01:22 am
@Joe Nation,
So wait, wait, I gotta tell you a joke. Stop me if you've heard this one before. A guy walks into a bar...
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 01:45 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

so, can you tell me, are the Catholics like the Jews and don't believe Jesus Christ is their Lord and Saviour??? (Please take a minute to absorb this), I honestly knew it would not be kind to start laughing, but I just gave her a big smile and said "Actually, we Catholics thought of it first".

Laughing

I once asked my old boss, who was a rabid Southern Baptist, when her religion first formed. I was seriously interested.

She gave me the strangest look and told me she didn't know, and furthermore, how would any religion know when it began?

Being a former catlick, I said "well, I know when mine began, it was the original. (of course that's what the church teaches, I know the history is quite different)

BTW, the Southern Baptists started in 1845.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 06:33 am
@Banana Breath,
Stop

Joe(I wrote that joke)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 06:39 am
Hey,,,,,what's all this talk about religion doing on the diverters thread??

Love the one about asking about their children.....except that then you might have to look at the blurry video on their tiny phone of small figure making a large circle of somesort on ice skates.....for three and half minutes.

Joe(heh)Nation
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 06:49 am
@Joe Nation,
When was the last time you had to bleed a radiator?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 07:34 am
I still say Pluto is a planet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:37 am
Do you like fried turkey?
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 08:48 am
@edgarblythe,
You have something in your teeth.