Can you name three books that you think everyone should read?

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 09:46 am
Not just for fun, but to make a better world, an informed populous, to help create a better future. State your case please, don't just list titles.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 10:03 am
@Banana Breath,
1. Almost Like a Whale - Steve Jones.

My son handed it to me after he'd read it during his Marine Biology studies.
Basically, it's Charles Darwin's Origin of Species made modern, updated and very readable.

2. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller.

Brilliant book which reminds me of being young, footloose and fancy free...and a lazy summer on Skiathos, and banana beach.

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

I first read this when I was in my early twenties and finished it in three days. Five years later I read most of it to and with my son (who was about 5 at the time) and found that he had inherited my weird sense of humour. He also says that this got him addicted to reading books.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 11:27 pm
1. The Eye of the Heron, by Ursula K. Le Guin

I like this book because of its brutally honest look at how propaganda and revisionist history work. I also like the message about how the oppressed should deal with oppressors (hint: it's not what Jesus would do).

2. Burmese Days, by George Orwell

The book is important so that people know Orwell had antipathies to other things besides Communism.

3. Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis

Important lesson about the hollowness of middle class life. Love the last couple of pages.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:42 am
@Banana Breath,
"The Republic," "1984," and "The Tibetan Book of the Dead" and just for fun "Brave New World" Smile

Government, warning about government, and since everyone dies, some spiritual aide in coping without the do this/don't do that of more conventional religious texts.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 04:17 am
@Banana Breath,
It depends on the choice of person so we can't say that every person should read one book.
0 Replies

Greys0n

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 03:08 am
@Banana Breath,
Flowers for Algernon, Book Thief, Inferno
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:38 am
@Greys0n,
I saw The Book Thief movie, did it follow the book closely? Is the book particularly well-written?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 12:54 pm
I can't say that everybody should read these books, but I certainly am glad I did.

Desolation Angels - Jack Kerouac.
A lookout station in a California forest. His internal musing and, later, how so much of it fell away with his return to society. One touching passage in which he regrets killing a mouse.

Opus 21 - Phillip Wylie
A writer of the 50s having a fictional long weekend, as he awaits biopsy results from a throat growth. We are treated to essays and incidents meant to illustrate Wylie's world view.

The Tortilla Curtain - T. C. Boyle
Two illegal Mexicans, husband and wife, try to make it in California. Their lives and the lives an urban 'white' couple become more and more entangled, with the Mexicans becoming ever more beaten down and desperate and the white man trying with all his might to be free of the scourge of these people.
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 02:30 am
@Banana Breath,
The Mentor The Kid and The CEO, Outliers, The Size of Thoughts. Of course this is my opinion by enjoyment of my personal preference of what I have read and I'm sure there are various other people that with difference preference to what I read although those three I think were all really good reads for anyone.
north

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:17 am
@MikkaBarsotti,

Well the recent book by ; John Anthony West , Serpent In The sky ( The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt)

The Passion of the Western Mind ( Understanding the Ideas That have Shaped Our World View ) by Richard Tarnas

Not in HIS Image ( Gnostic Vision , Sacred Ecology and the Future of Belief)by John Lamb Nash.

All three open up our minds .
MikkaBarsotti

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:38 am
@north,
Like I said they were by my opinion. Everyone has their own.
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:39 am
@north,
all those books you just listed in your reply to me actually happen to be the kind of Books that most frown upon although I get into that kind of stuff lol
north

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:20 am
@MikkaBarsotti,
MikkaBarsotti wrote:

all those books you just listed in your reply to me actually happen to be the kind of Books that most frown upon although I get into that kind of stuff lol

Yes , so do I .

TRUTH , is what matters in the end . Socrates .
MikkaBarsotti

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:24 pm
@north,
Yeap & Socrates was a smart man as were many other ancient Philosophers. as well many other modern ones.
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:26 pm
@north,
north wrote:

MikkaBarsotti wrote:

Yes , so do I .

TRUTH , is what matters in the end . Socrates .

I'd imagine You'd have a field day with my Book Collection North, Given the basis of your preference of readings lol
0 Replies

Marykg

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:30 am
Everyone should read "Murder on the Orient Express" if you're a fan of detective novels.
Miller

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 10:47 pm
I love detective, murder and mystery stories. However, books ( not mysteries) that I've read in the past and which I still enjoy reading and have copies of are:

1. Sanctuary
2. An American Tragedy
3. Arrowsmith
4. Look Homeward Angel
5. The Jungle
6. So Big
7. Giant

I also have a great love for drama and have numerous books on plays.

I also love biographies.
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:54 am
@Marykg,
I'm going to keep that one in mind(it sounds really good) I appreciate it very much. I like detective novels sometimes, I can recommend you a couple of Detective Novels also Not sure if you've read them or not so here goes...

The Black Echo
Killing Floor
0 Replies